U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:32 PM

4,089 posts, read 1,296,617 times

Advertisements

I read the reply, I replied back, didn't I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 06:37 PM

5,590 posts, read 1,959,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well if I haven't been able to get a hold of someone to go over that with me at the fire department, so I thought I would ask on here on the technology forum. I could just make it up for the script then.
A script doesn't need more detail than "FRED goes to the ladder controls and raises the ladder." Everything beyond that is the set creative's problem.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:40 PM

Well actually in my script I want the person to raise the ladder, while he is in a different place and not, on the truck and is controlling the ladder by remote control. So in that case, I need to know on the truck where the remote control is. Plus since I am directing the movie myself, I am probably going to be somewhat in charge of where on the truck the remote will be found possibly. So I thought I would write it into the script where it is found, so it makes more sense to everyone.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 PM

35,386 posts, read 53,866,711 times
^^^ ugh... Like I said...
Hopeless cause.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM

23 posts, read 52,862 times
Go to the nearest station that has an aerial and pick the brain of the engineer on that shift. He/she should be happy to go over the entire apparatus with you. That should give you some ideas. Earlier in the day, during truck check, after normal work hours, or on a weekend may be the best times.
The closest thing to a "Remote" that I've seen is a wired box that plugs into the pump panel and the engineer can operate it from there, if not from the base of the ladder.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:12 PM

689 posts, read 81,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well actually in my script I want the person to raise the ladder, while he is in a different place and not, on the truck and is controlling the ladder by remote control. So in that case, I need to know on the truck where the remote control is. Plus since I am directing the movie myself, I am probably going to be somewhat in charge of where on the truck the remote will be found possibly. So I thought I would write it into the script where it is found, so it makes more sense to everyone.
Not a safe idea, and it wouldn't be allowed. These ain't toy trucks.

The controls are always on the trucks. Some have up to 3 possible locations.

Look up the various manufacturers for the specifics.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM

27,680 posts, read 39,125,385 times
So I took Ironwhosit off ignore so I could see what was going on.

Really? Take a simple idea and make it so complex you have to ask for help on a forum.

Wait.... That's not right. Take an unrealistic idea and expect people on a forum to write the script for you.

Wait... That's not right. Stop wasting everyone's time. If you're too lazy to visit a fire station and ask questions then you shouldn't be writing a screen play. I see disaster in the offing.

And reset the ignore function. Ta ta.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

The controls are always on the trucks. Some have up to 3 possible locations.

Look up the various manufacturers for the specifics.
Well they do have ladders that are controlled by remote control as I got the idea from this article where they actually show the remote control:

https://www.fireapparatusmagazine.co...re-trucks.html

I just wanted to know where on the truck the remote control is stored. I asked some fire fighters at the fire department already but they got back to me and said they don't know about this particular model, so I was just wondering if anyone knew.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM

399 posts, read 51,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

The controls are always on the trucks. Some have up to 3 possible locations
translation: if youre silly enough to make your script rely on a plot where fire trucks have remote control ladders (despite each one carrying a crew of multiple people!) then you get to put the controls wherever you like. personally, i would just have the guy that stays in the cab operate the ladder. even if its inaccurate, its less ridiculous than operating it by remote.

or maybe not: https://www.firerecruit.com/articles...boost-function

i dunno, why not just have robots? theyre the answer to everything these days, not just in theatres.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM

Okay but in the link I posted, it actually says in the link that firetrucks have been tested with remotes in real life, and are already on some truck models out there. Why didn't anybody read the link before saying it was far fetched or ridiculous? According to the link, the remote is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or