U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

5,295 posts, read 9,711,565 times

Advertisements

We're trying to clean up a crammed-to-the gills closet. Found plastic bins and suitcases and etc. filled up with assorted cables and other electronic little doo-dads. Plus a big bunch of mostly unlabeled but used CD-ROMS.

My darling spouse, with slight-medium hoarding tendencies, is having a very difficult time getting rid of any of this stuff. It's not as though he knows what's stored...hasn't accessed anything in this closet for about 15 years. But wants to save it "just in case."

Our home has a big lack of storage and we could sure utilize this closet for everyday stuff we use.

How many cables does one need? Old ones...?? Does anyone identify?? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:58 AM

38,792 posts, read 40,025,274 times
I'll have to admit to being cable horder myself but I occasionally actually do use them. Separate what you have into piles of the same type of cable. Eliminate some of them that are same type. For example I must of had 10 sets of RCA cables; the red, yellow and white ones for analog TV. I got rid of all the ones crap ones that came with TV's, VCR's etc. I kept the monster cables and the 20 footers I had purchased for some video work.

Be very careful about getting rid of cables with special ends. e.g you might have cable with RCA jacks on one end and mini jack on the other. That's usually for camcorder or camera and those may be difficult to obtain if you still have the camcorder. Of course if you no longer have the camcorder it's useless other than selling it on Ebay.

The transformers are toss up, they have different voltages/amps and different sized ends. If you need to replace one that is broke it should closely match original one and of course the end needs to be exact match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology