U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

123 posts, read 89,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Come on guys, the OP didn't ask any weird paranoid stuff, just wanted to know what they are.

OP, these are insulators for high voltage power lines. The ridges have to do with avoiding arcs from the line to ground (for example, in the rain, that wooden pole would be electrically connected to the ground). I can't remember the details of why the insulators are ridged, or why there are multiple disks stacked.

These kinds of insulators are generally made of a ceramic material, which in this case appears to be shiny brown.

Someone with better knowledge of power lines may chime in to correct what I've put here.
My apologies....just having fun out of my own electrical ignorance. I have no idea what those things on the pole do.

No insults or ill will intended.

G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

5,174 posts, read 2,620,024 times
Thank you, OP, for asking this. I learned something new today because of it and got a laugh out of some of the answers at the same time.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

8,577 posts, read 2,754,740 times
They're decoys to grab the attention of drunken rednecks with shotguns in pickup trucks, so they won't shoot down the actual electric lines and breaker-boxes.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

2,725 posts, read 679,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't know the right place to ask this question. I took this photo while I was shooting crow photos for the purpose of creating an abstract image out of it. I'm showing you the non-abstract/non edited image in the hope that someone can tell me what these round things are called on a wire attached to a utility pole so I can properly title the abstract version. Found another photo of them on Google Images "utility pole" search but when I went to the website of origin, the photo was no longer there. I apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum to ask the question.

These insulators keep the wire ("conductor") a certain distance from the pole. They're held straight out from the tension pulling against it.

Utility poles with this style of insulator stretched out sideways are often corner poles, whereas poles with these insulators hanging straight down are in-line holding the conductor in a straight path.

The reason for the weird design is not only does it provide distance from the pole, but having this uneven arrangement of ceramic plates offers better protection against an arc than a straight, smooth design.

Old Today, 12:04 AM

27,929 posts, read 39,379,951 times
Lineman Backgammon.

Old Today, 02:12 AM

17,497 posts, read 53,231,521 times
George Foreman Squirrel Grill.

Old Today, 08:03 AM

6,526 posts, read 3,510,841 times
Side note on insulators is historically they came in lots of shapes and colors, esp the glass ones used on very old telephone and telegraph poles. Some of those can be quite colorful and decorative and have become collectors items. The green glass ones seem to be very popular.

Old Today, 08:22 AM

33,648 posts, read 41,278,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Side note on insulators is historically they came in lots of shapes and colors, esp the glass ones used on very old telephone and telegraph poles. Some of those can be quite colorful and decorative and have become collectors items. The green glass ones seem to be very popular.
I don't know if it's still in the booklet but there used to be a largish paragraph in the PA hunting regulations about shooting at insulators being a big illegal no no. I always laughed because I couldn't imagine someone doing it. I figured it had to be people from Pittsburgh or Ohio who would. Maryland used to have it too. I haven't noticed it for some time.

I have some green and tannish ones.

Old Today, 10:02 AM

6,149 posts, read 2,186,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's because they're probably Hemingray 42s, the... Chevy Nova of insulators. They can be found by the zillions, even a variety of colors, but most are almost worthless to collectors.

I had an avid collector in the family, and some of the truly unusual designs and colors are art objects in themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or