U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 AM

4,727 posts, read 2,082,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Technology is such garbage, little in the way of useful items have been created over the past decade.
Do we really need touch screen soda machines?.
How about a maid that can clean my house instead, or decent batteries for electric cars; making them a viable option.
I assumed we'd be living like the Jetsons by now, but all I see are worthless gadgets; IE: smartphones that will be out-dated within 3 years.
That's only true if you conform to the recent belief that "technology" is synonymous with "consumer grade computer software and smart phones".

If you look at the complete world of technology you will see that enormous advances are continually being made in many other areas of technology, a few examples I personally know about would be:

High speed machining
Forging and casting
Spectrometry and spectroscopy
Electron microscopes as nano scale machine tools (tunneling electron microscope, etc.)
Extraction of oil and gas from strata previously regarded as uneconomic
Wind power generation
Solar power generation

And there are many others.

All of these are technology. Technology is NOT limited to consumer grade computer software and smartphones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 AM

6,503 posts, read 2,280,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The more devices are connected to each other the more things can seriously go wrong and create chain reaction of a disaster.
Not even a beginning of the terrifying and disastrous consequences IoT promotes... and before you even factor in hacking and malfeasance.

The one factor that should have been bedrock for this (largely useless) evolution was security... and it's been quietly rejected by all the major providers and developers as a hurdle to getting products out. So consider a household full of Things that can be remotely activated and misused by anyone with an internet connection... "Alexa, scream for me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Bottom line is that companies have to sell products, show profits and have money to spend.
Do they, now. Welp, good enough justification for me! (Uh, not.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
That's only true if you conform to the recent belief that "technology" is synonymous with "consumer grade computer software and smart phones".
In popular yack, yes. But the problem doesn't change and in fact gets worse when you consider large systems of industrial/infrastructure components... that all have open communication channels between them that have grossly insufficient security protocols.

Imagine that highway full of AVs depending on 5G inter-communication as a large part of their decision-making process, and a few handfuls of digital grit tossed in.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 AM

3,400 posts, read 1,470,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

In popular yack, yes. But the problem doesn't change and in fact gets worse when you consider large systems of industrial/infrastructure components... that all have open communication channels between them that have grossly insufficient security protocols.

Imagine that highway full of AVs depending on 5G inter-communication as a large part of their decision-making process, and a few handfuls of digital grit tossed in.
That is why they dont give a crap about these IoT and internet crap. Those control systems and processes are robust, secure and standing out for years.

How often you heard some refinery being hacked into or data or accounts breached??

Old 04-27-2019, 11:50 PM

36,578 posts, read 54,559,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
That is why they dont give a crap about these IoT and internet crap. Those control systems and processes are robust, secure and standing out for years.

How often you heard some refinery being hacked into or data or accounts breached??
Latest news: Avoid purchasing or using IoT devices that advertise any P2P capabilities.
Apparently the iLnkP2P software made by Shenzhen Yunni Technology is inside millions of different IoT devices, like doorbells, cameras, and baby monitors. The software is supposed to make it easier for people to log in remotely to their IoT devices using just a barcode to log in but offers no encryption or authentication, and makes it very easy for hackers to connect directly with these devices.
There are more than 2 million devices vulnerable to this kind of attack....
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,780 posts, read 32,949,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Those are not useful conversations. A useful conversation with my fridge is that it would tell me that I have 3 beers in the fridge without having to open it (and carelessly let heat inside). And it would tell me this by displaying it on the screen. Not by speaking to me -- although a potential future feature would be being able to ask Alexa or whatnot from any room.
Better yet, your smart fridge should be able to show you on your smartphone whether it contains milk and show you an image of the half-full plastic bottle, while you're standing in front of the milk display at the supermarket. Then it should do the same with the ketchup bottle, or the contents of of the salad drawer, as you move around the store. That's the goal here.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Better yet, your smart fridge should be able to show you on your smartphone whether it contains milk and show you an image of the half-full plastic bottle, while you're standing in front of the milk display at the supermarket. Then it should do the same with the ketchup bottle, or the contents of of the salad drawer, as you move around the store. That's the goal here.
And, of course, no one else in Earth would be able to look at all your real-time feeds from your household Things.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 48 times
Quote:
And, of course, no one else in Earth would be able to look at all your real-time feeds from your household Things.
I'm not limited with this level of paranoia.

I'd be more concerned about the eventual surveillance. There will be enough cameras to monitor your every move.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBot View Post
I'm not limited with this level of paranoia.

I'd be more concerned about the eventual surveillance. There will be enough cameras to monitor your every move.
So how is extending this surveillance, voluntarily/willingly/gladly/greedily, right into your home, using a system with grossly insufficient security... not part of the problem?

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 48 times
Quote:
using a system with grossly insufficient security...
This is a poor assumption to make. Anything can be as insecure or as secure as you make it.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 48 times
Quote:
I don't need every object in my house to be semi-sentient. How's that?
Thermostats have been semi-sentient for decades. They feel when it's getting out of temperature range and adjust the climate. Do you manually flip a switch every time you get warm or cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or