U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

6,498 posts, read 2,280,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBot View Post
Thermostats have been semi-sentient for decades. They feel when it's getting out of temperature range and adjust the climate. Do you manually flip a switch every time you get warm or cold?
I don't consider a bimetal strip my intellectual equal. Call me a snob.

But a device with surveillance gear built right in front and connected through weak security protocols to the entire internet... well, the mic and camera don't have to be all that smart, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

4,727 posts, read 2,082,788 times
Quote:
Thermostats have been semi-sentient for decades. They feel when it's getting out of temperature range and adjust the climate. Do you manually flip a switch every time you get warm or cold?

Really? They adjust the climate?

And, yes, I am able, when I'm cold, to get up off my butt and rotate the dial, and the reverse if I feel hot.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,023,877 times
IoT is a special demon for me.

It seemed to start with smart meters (electric meters) on the house - eliminating the need for a meter reader to come by to read it. Instead, your meter now transmits its info to the electric company wirelessly, while the wiring in the house bombards you with radiation 24/7. Ditto with wifi, now so widespread it's considered a necessity.

Meanwhile we hear that Amazon employees actively monitor Alexa speaker units. Smart TVs record all conversations in the house. Roomba vacuums memorize the layout and size of the rooms in your house, and transmit the info. Smart appliances can be turned on or off at the whim of the electric company, it they can more profitably sell power to someone else. The temperature of your home or workplace can be changed beyond your control, by hacking.

I am retired and live off-grid. I supply the power to our own home, and have complete control over it. Nobody can remotely turn off power to anything at our house. Nobody can record any conversations here. Nobody can hack anything here. We are not bombarded 24/7 by radiation from house wiring or wifi. We sleep well at night.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It seemed to start with smart meters (electric meters) on the house - eliminating the need for a meter reader to come by to read it. Instead, your meter now transmits its info to the electric company wirelessly, while the wiring in the house bombards you with radiation 24/7.
What is it with the recent rash of posters claiming smart meters are frying their brains?

Quote:
I am retired and live off-grid. I supply the power to our own home, and have complete control over it.
You know, 60Hz radiation from AC power is the same whether it comes from your wood-fired generator or the Trans-Canadian backbone. Do you somehow believe the former is organic and won't hurt you?

Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

8,691 posts, read 2,790,868 times
Quote:
I'm not limited with this level of paranoia.

I'd be more concerned about the eventual surveillance. There will be enough cameras to monitor your every move.
If you're a nice-looking woman, someone may be harvesting and selling the more revealing of those images. Actually, if you're a nice-looking guy, someone may be interested in seeing that same kind of image of you.

Old Today, 08:03 AM

1,011 posts, read 447,438 times
5G and iot will be the real internet of future. Hologram communications, autonomous vehicles, for examples, all require no-delay transmissions of large quantity of data moment by moment. Cars will be all linked by wireless for much less traffic jams, fuel efficiency. One can conference with others with holograms. Financial transactions will be be instantaneous powered by blockchain. More drones will be in the air, in water, on the ground and will be all coordinated with 5G.

The key is to build the network that can do all that, and make 5G modem chips in everything.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

4,727 posts, read 2,082,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
5G and iot will be the real internet of future. Hologram communications, autonomous vehicles, for examples, all require no-delay transmissions of large quantity of data moment by moment. Cars will be all linked by wireless for much less traffic jams, fuel efficiency. One can conference with others with holograms. Financial transactions will be be instantaneous powered by blockchain. More drones will be in the air, in water, on the ground and will be all coordinated with 5G.

The key is to build the network that can do all that, and make 5G modem chips in everything.
Yes, and we'll all be taller, richer, smarter, and we won't have any crabgrass in our lawns. The world will be filled with the sound of bluebirds serenading us as we ride our unicorns in the fields of daisies.

Or, alternately, all this stuff will be designed by the same idiots who currently design most consumer-grade computer software and hardware, so it'll constantly crash, lock up, mysteriously stop functioning, lose all the data, or slow to a crawl, requiring people to constantly intervene and apply special super-secret codes just to get the darn thing going again.

Which seems more likely to YOU?

Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post

Turf3 already said it well, but... Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, read something besides Wired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or