U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,205,475 times

Advertisements

US military has been "chipping" in lieu of "dog-tags" for 20 years,
although, mainly for ops which tags would not be advisable.
this is just the latest installment:
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...done-remotely/

bottom line: the back-in-the-day chips were implanted in the buttocks' adipose tissue since that is the most likely body part to survive
largely intact after enemy contact, and it usually remains within an after-action search radius. now, there are multiple implantation points
due to tech advances and statistical analysis of scenarios.

finally: your future chip choice will most likely be based upon your insurance coverage or government assistance (Medicare, etc).

Last edited by turkeydance; 05-22-2019 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 PM

37,716 posts, read 55,375,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

But it's all for the good of the company and only slackers have anything to worry about.

Whatever is good for the company is seldom good for the workers..

Company badges are not something implanted in your body that is transmitting info about you 24/7
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Don't worry. Americans will flock to it, if it gets them a discount or a faster checkout or they can "find their friends" while out and about or whatever.
This I believe. Americans love everything that's quick and easy. Who cares about the consequences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Actually no. It won't. 666 is known the mark of man and that he won't be able to buy bread or wine without the mark. What's more a mark of "man" then his face, fingerprint, economic data or DNA?
Why even worry. My phone app dedicated to NEWS, informed me about the end of the world today.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...ist-bible-news
Why wasn't I surprised about the quality of information we get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There's also the folks signing up for DNA testing. Just add your chip number to your DNA test. I'm just waiting for the insurance companies to somehow get access to the DNA testing data.
They are and they will. The info is there, so why not get access to it? Take first, ask later...

Quote:
Considering how fast tech comes and goes, though, how relevant will the chips be in ten years? There would have to be new chips installed pretty much all the time, wouldn't there?
Oh, they would update remotely, forcefully, without your knowledge, since you wouldn't get access to control it anyway. Something like Windows10 tried.

Quote:
The chips are all but passive. All that's returned from a scan is a long, putatively unique ID code. It's up to the system to decide what to do with that ID. Better chip technology might come along, but as long as it's just an ID number, older ones won't become obsolete.
Why that reminds me of the numeric ID implemented in Auschwitz? You think there is a possibility that we wouldn't need first and last names?
And how do you know if the chips are/will be passive? You think citizens will have computer access to see how much is revealed and how is it used?

Quote:

I wonder how many kids are going to regret being chipped in, oh, say, 20 years.

Frankly, about all the practice is good for is identifying bodies.
A very valid question, since they were underage and not asked for consent.

Practice for identifying bodies? Only if they are intact. ... and that's a maybe, too...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-22-2019, 09:22 PM

16,826 posts, read 8,660,562 times
The rise of the machines. Its inevitable.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Some may flock to it. But not all. Millennials from what I see are oftentimes far more cautious about what they chose to share, their cyber privacy, as much as one "can" be. I hold no illusions about Google and my data.

Personally while I like my iPhone, I won't share my location and am extremely cautious about what apps get my location (I know, Google is Google maps...)
Its actually a contention point between my wife and I.
Hope you are better informed than that:

A bit off topic, but I think it needs to be said: Google services on Android devices and iPhones track and store your location data even if you turn location history off in your privacy settings, according to an Associated Press investigation.

You can turn off location history any time, but some Google apps still store your time-stamped location data, the AP reported.

Turning off location history just appears to remove your location from the Google Maps Timeline feature, which shows you where you've been in Google's data.

Users know that when they disable the product, we continue to use location to improve the Google experience when they do things like performing a Google search or use Google for driving directions.
"Google is saying, with a straight face, that it's perfectly clear that disabling the feature named 'Location History' does not prevent Google from tracking your location history," John Gruber, a noted Apple commentator, wrote on Monday. "There's nothing surprising about this, but that doesn't mean it isn't shameful."
They will NEVER allow users to completely opt-out from data collection. Do you really think Google is a free service? Someone has to pay and, if you get to opt out, then YOU get to pay. YOU are not their customer - you are their product.
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-is-...f-says-report/

I think, that technically, you can't completely "turn-off" your phone unless you take out your battery and the SIM card.

Last edited by elnina; 05-22-2019 at 10:17 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 PM

To actually turn off location tracking, Google says you have to navigate to a setting buried deep in your Google Account called Web & App Activity, which is set by default to share your information, including not just location but IP address and more. Finding that setting isn't easy. At all.
To follow the step-for-step instruction click on:
https://www.wired.com/story/google-l...king-turn-off/

ITechs please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that this step will affect your browsing experience in an unpleasant way since you are already accustomed to all the goodies and speed associated with sharing your location and IP.

It will affect your Google Search, Maps, Now (the Google search bar on the home screen, and the Google Now screen), Nearby, Chrome, Contacts, Calendars, Voice searches and voice commands, YouTube Search History and Watch History, Remotely Locating and Erasing/Disabling your phone. It will most likely affect your Smart Lock for Passwords a feature that allows apps to automatically sign you into accounts. Not sure, but I am also suspecting that your phone might never receive any operating system updates.
In short, I think, it will turn your smartphone to a dumb phone from the 2000's. You probably should rethink then if you want to buy a phone that costs more than $50 or take out your rotary phone from the attic

Old 05-22-2019, 10:27 PM

8,088 posts, read 2,824,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
And how do you know if the chips are/will be passive?
The chips currently used are so completely passive that they don't even have power supplies. The scanning device provides power via a tiny pickup coil in the chip capsule, and the chip simply transmits back its encoded ID string. Almost zero active function, no processing power, no storage element. It's nothing more than an electronic barcode read via radio signal.

Certainly, more elaborate tech is possible. But this approach serves pretty much all needs, and anything more elaborate would require more support technology like a power source.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:35 AM

6,063 posts, read 2,792,798 times
I am 100% convinced that the nefarious of beings are already finding a way to thwart tracking. (Disable).
Toss a blanket with magnet and bam..the chip is worthless. So while in theory it might have its positives...there will always be evil ppl finding ways to couter it.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I am 100% convinced that the nefarious of beings are already finding a way to thwart tracking. (Disable).
Toss a blanket with magnet and bam..the chip is worthless. So while in theory it might have its positives...there will always be evil ppl finding ways to couter it.
It could be removed, although isn't an easy job:
https://geeldon.wordpress.com/2010/0...-it-to-remove/

Other thoughts about the microchips:
https://www.govtech.com/blogs/lohrma...cy-debate.html

Old 05-23-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The chips currently used are so completely passive that they don't even have power supplies. The scanning device provides power via a tiny pickup coil in the chip capsule, and the chip simply transmits back its encoded ID string. Almost zero active function, no processing power, no storage element. It's nothing more than an electronic barcode read via radio signal.
The technology company Three Square Market is working on a more sophisticated microchip that is powered by human body heat and includes GPS tracking capabilities and voice activation. Three Square Market officials acknowledge that the chips will offer a convenient way to track people - especially those suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia.

2019 Session: Bill Would Regulate Microchipping Employees in Arkansas. House Bill 1177 would allow companies to offer microchips to employees. St. Rep. Stephen Meeks is working to get ahead of the technology in Arkansas. Meeks, who chairs the legislature's Technology Committee, found there are no state laws to regulate the implants in the U.S. He wants to be the first.
https://www.kark.com/news/local-news...sas/1708706584

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or