U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 07:54 AM

26,429 posts, read 62,677,450 times

Advertisements

We use facial recognition for access to our offices. We are then tracked by modules every 15' (even in the bathrooms) that keep track of where our ell phone is. Implant a chip and a small solar charger and you have the same thing, except you can choose to leave your cell phone on your desk. You cannot really do that with your hand. At least not yet.

I do not really care. I do not do anything that requires anonymity or where I would care if someone can figure out where I am/was. If I had to do so, it is easy enough to cover/alter your face. It does nto take a lot to change your face enough to fool the facial recondition AI. At least not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 08:08 AM

594 posts, read 429,729 times
Very Black Mirrorish.

Check out Arkangel.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 AM

869 posts, read 326,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
You can implant a chip via an injection. That is how they microchip pets. It is a small chip about the size of a grain of rice and it's implanted via an injection. If they can do it to dogs and cats they can certainly add it to a vaccination shot for humans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Tell me the next time you have a vaccination - or see one - that uses a needle with a bore more than one-tenth the size of that used for chip injection.

"A grain of rice" is freakin' enormous compared to a standard IM needle.
Yes, to this. The needle used to microchip pets is massive. I've also used the "grain of rice" descriptor, but it's an understatement. I also tell owners that it's like a piercing gun. Also an understatement!

I've done hundreds of both vaccinations and microchips in animals. Most don't even notice the vaccination needle when it's the ones done under the skin. Trust me, they notice the chip. You would definitely notice if someone put a chip in you, especially if it was into muscle .

Old 05-23-2019, 09:31 AM

717 posts, read 472,582 times
Quote:
The chips currently used are so completely passive that they don't even have power supplies. The scanning device provides power via a tiny pickup coil in the chip capsule, and the chip simply transmits back its encoded ID string. Almost zero active function, no processing power, no storage element. It's nothing more than an electronic barcode read via radio signal.

Certainly, more elaborate tech is possible. But this approach serves pretty much all needs, and anything more elaborate would require more support technology like a power source.
Another completely passive non-powered ID string.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 AM

537 posts, read 134,081 times
How long until we get an espionage film with agents that have reprogrammable RFID chips?

Old 05-23-2019, 11:36 AM

8,121 posts, read 2,831,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Another completely passive non-powered ID string.
Um, if you're reading a single word of mine as being approving or admiring of any part of this trend, you've completely failed to RFC.

I was addressing some rather... frantic comments about the potential of active chips.

All chips currently in use are completely passive in operation. I don't see any evolution to 'active' chips, whether powered by radium, body heat or Z-rays, as a meaningful advancement of the problem - if you're shot in the head, it doesn't matter much whether it's a .357 or a .44.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 PM

4,961 posts, read 3,171,916 times
Quote:
So people are finally being RFID-chipped.

Anyone else's hair stand up on end? This guy is so blithe and boosterish it's awe-inspiring.

What's funny is that many years ago, I worked within a circle of religious fanatics who swam in a sea of urban myths and tabloid nonsense. One of their then-current fears was that everyone was going to get a bar-code tattoo for ID, which was "the mark of the beast" because of the '6-6-6' interpretation of bar code framing. Somewhere in that overheated tempest, someone mentioned putting chips in peoples' hands for the same purpose.

Mind, this was almost 30 years ago.

I guess the only good thing is that AI-driven license plate tracking and facial recognition will make these crude and optional tech-tags irrelevant...
Recently the UK did some facial tracking to see if they might catch wanted people. Some people who found out they were doing that, covered their faces, got a 90 pound fine and their pic was taken anyway... I love my USA....

Old 05-23-2019, 03:25 PM

37,733 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Implant a chip and a small solar charger and you have the same thing, except you can choose to leave your cell phone on your desk. You cannot really do that with your hand. At least not yet.
Sure... wear this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPMMPDW..._t3_B01MS3N3A2
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:27 PM

1,906 posts, read 664,076 times
So, if like a psychopathic murderer cuts off a chipped persons hand or head or whatever is chipped, they can then assume that person's identity.

I will definitely be retiring the day my job wants to insert a microchip in me.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM

8,121 posts, read 2,831,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
So, if like a psychopathic murderer cuts off a chipped persons hand or head or whatever is chipped, they can then assume that person's identity.
Well, the same way they can do it now with a finger, an eyeball or a DNA sample. Or a stolen driver's license. Or just an assumed identity.

It's just one more way to perform identity theft. Not the real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or