Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would not. I live in the US
Don't worry. Americans will flock to it, if it gets them a discount or a faster checkout or they can "find their friends" while out and about or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
You can implant a chip via an injection. That is how they microchip pets. It is a small chip about the size of a grain of rice and it's implanted via an injection. If they can do it to dogs and cats they can certainly add it to a vaccination shot for humans
I take it you've never had a vaccination, if you think the needle is that big. It is maybe for an Epipen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 07:25 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I take it you've never had a vaccination, if you think the needle is that big. It is maybe for an Epipen...
Ah, well, you've found out the secret behind epi-pens. Please gather your things and answer the knock on your door.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So people are finally being RFID-chipped.

Anyone else's hair stand up on end? This guy is so blithe and boosterish it's awe-inspiring.

What's funny is that many years ago, I worked within a circle of religious fanatics who swam in a sea of urban myths and tabloid nonsense. One of their then-current fears was that everyone was going to get a bar-code tattoo for ID, which was "the mark of the beast" because of the '6-6-6' interpretation of bar code framing. Somewhere in that overheated tempest, someone mentioned putting chips in peoples' hands for the same purpose.

Mind, this was almost 30 years ago.

I guess the only good thing is that AI-driven license plate tracking and facial recognition will make these crude and optional tech-tags irrelevant...
Actually no. It won't. 666 is known the mark of man and that he won't be able to buy bread or wine without the mark. What's more a mark of "man" then his face, fingerprint, economic data or DNA?

Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That's perhaps a little different - it's not meant as a control mechanism.
It never is in the beginning. ...but eventually someone fascist or authoritarian decides to use it to their advantage under the umbrella of "safety" for the people.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
It never is in the beginning. ...but eventually someone fascist or authoritarian decides to use it to their advantage under the umbrella of "safety" for the people.
Preacher, meet choir.

I wonder how many kids are going to regret being chipped in, oh, say, 20 years.

Frankly, about all the practice is good for is identifying bodies.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:13 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
There's also the folks signing up for DNA testing. Just add your chip number to your DNA test. I'm just waiting for the insurance companies to somehow get access to the DNA testing data.

Considering how fast tech comes and goes, though, how relevant will the chips be in ten years? There would have to be new chips installed pretty much all the time, wouldn't there?

Old 05-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Considering how fast tech comes and goes, though, how relevant will the chips be in ten years? There would have to be new chips installed pretty much all the time, wouldn't there?
The chips are all but passive. All that's returned from a scan is a long, putatively unique ID code. It's up to the system to decide what to do with that ID. Better chip technology might come along, but as long as it's just an ID number, older ones won't become obsolete.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that N Korea is already doing it.

It's coming. Because as many bad things there are about it, there are some great things too. For instance, imagine no longer fearing that your kid will get lost and die in the cold. Like other tech, it is all in how it is used. And keep in mind, chips can be readily removed, if the chip is no longer wanted/needed.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:23 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Don't worry. Americans will flock to it, if it gets them a discount or a faster checkout or they can "find their friends" while out and about or whatever.

Some may flock to it. But not all. Millennials from what I see are oftentimes far more cautious about what they chose to share, their cyber privacy, as much as one "can" be. I hold no illusions about Google and my data.

Personally while I like my iPhone, I won't share my location and am extremely cautious about what apps get my location (I know, Google is Google maps...)

Its actually a contention point between my wife and I.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Its actually a contention point between my wife and I.
It's also likely superstitious behavior on your part - a vast amount of tracking and data collection is simply not within the control of the user/consumer/citizen. Not at the source; not in the database. Things like not enabling location, or not using a loyalty card, are nearly irrelevant in this process.

Are you aware, for example, that a large and growing number of newer cars track a huge number of data points, including (inferred) driver weight, and steadily report all that information back to Mom? As much as 25GB a month in all? Nope, you have no say over it and can't disable it (easily).

And none of it is being used for consumer/citizen benefit, except as it trickles down from improved marketing and data collection.

Which is why the whole chip thing has come along just in time to be... pretty much irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology