U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 11:49 AM

4,973 posts, read 1,355,974 times

Advertisements

Generally there are two types of "radiation":

1.) Ionizing radiation;
2.) Non-ionizing radiation.

Ionizing radiation includes radiation from X-ray machines, nuclear reactions, glow-in-the-dark tritium paint on watch dials and gunsights, atomic bombs, and the Sun.

Non-ionizing radiation includes radiation from radio transmitters, incandescent light bulbs, power lines, cell phones, microwave ovens, most computer circuits that aren't properly shielded, handheld walkie-talkies, radar transmitters, waving magnets around in the air really fast, and the Sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM

37,690 posts, read 55,360,122 times
Actually it looks like a radio mast or microwave antenna to me. But it could be anything as those towers/masts come in all kinds of shape.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 PM

3,162 posts, read 1,198,275 times
"Yes, this is a scary/ugly piece of tech..."
perception is reality.
no such thing as a "good" snake.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:52 PM

8,082 posts, read 2,816,523 times
I wouldn't want it looming over my house and part of my view.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM

4,956 posts, read 2,243,666 times
Well, I wouldn't say it's aesthetically pleasing but it's certainly not scary. And of course context will drive how unappealing it is. In the midst of a highly urbanized environment a few dozen feet from the freeway, it'll bother you a lot less than if it's poking up at the edge of your three acres of exurban property.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,769,148 times
Though I'm not contributing anything new, I can contribute an affirmative to what has already been said.

There is nothing to fear from a tower like this. It is likely a receiver.

It MAY also be a "repeater." That is, it receives a signal and then boosts that signal and transmits it to another tower down the line so other people in more remote locations can "hear" the signal. In any case, it is harmless.

Radio signals are 100% natural. We've harnessed their power for communications around the world. But the Earth and every living thing on it has been exposed to radio signals from natural sources in the galaxy since time began. It's just another form of electromagnetic radiation. Just as ordinary light is a form of electromagnetic radiation.

Last edited by Astron1000; 06-06-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 AM

265 posts, read 65,458 times
Could be a tower for wireless internet. Looks like an antennae on the backside of the receiver antennae to rebroadcast signal to the area back of the tower. I built a 100' one at the top of our mountain to get wireless into our valley, previously only served by very slow DSL. I rent space on it to a local ISP, and now get my 40MB connection free, along with enough money to pay my property taxes on the farm.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 28,652,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You know, people really ought to read up on what the word "radiation" actually means.

Because there is nuclear technology, the general term "radiation" is popularly taken to mean "hazardous radiation such as gamma rays, resulting from fission or radioactive decay". But light is a form of radiation, as is radiative heat transfer.

The electromagnetic spectrum spans a vast range, only a small fraction of which poses any health risk.

The radio tower pictured will only harm you if you climb up it and fall, or if it collapses and falls on you.
I don't think it is that simple, because nobody knows the long term effects of several types of radiation. For example, we are surrounded by RF radiation at home, and everywhere else. We wear Bluetooth devices right into the ear canal, over our heads, and sorrowing ourselves with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices.

Years ago when I worked with military and other aircraft, we had strict safety guidelines about RF and other types of radiation. But what is safe or not, nobody knows.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:45 AM

10 posts, read 857 times
The signal?

Old 06-12-2019, 02:46 AM

10 posts, read 857 times
It looks like a signal tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or