U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2019, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,610 posts, read 28,785,472 times
Reputation: 12371

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotPutFX View Post
That's a simpleton view. It assumes that ALL things can just be reduced to the level of a belief. And I know you're not talking about this from a lofty metaphysical perspective. It's clear your coming from a pseudo-political/personal power perspective.

Some things have been proven via rigorous scientific methods.

Some things spring out of eons of mythology.

And a whole lotta things are in between.

On that spectrum, while still admitting you can "believe" whatever gets your rocks off, it's often not OK to ACT on every belief you claim to have, and more importantly, to insist they be held to the same level of respect as all others.

Now you can choose to believe what I believe or not, and that's fine. We need future generations of French-fry makers to exploit too...while they meet after their shift to trade stories of a flat earth.
You have involve in some sort of personality analysis and lecture, and that is fine with me. But I will explain, like I have done numerous times already, my simpleton view on the subset of this thread "about people who believe the earth is flat":

a. What harm is it done to you, me, or anybody else, by a group of people who believe the earth is flat?

b. To me it makes no difference what the person's beliefs are, unless such beliefs become harmful acts.

c. If I (taking about myself) were to condemn one group of people because of their beliefs, then I can't ignore that there are a great number of beliefs by groups of people around the world. Should I condemn only one group of people based on their beliefs?

d. We have laws that are designed to protect the people from harmful acts by other people, but there is no law against "beliefs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2019, 01:53 PM
 
20,605 posts, read 16,652,763 times
Reputation: 38718
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You have involve in some sort of personality analysis and lecture, and that is fine with me. But I will explain, like I have done numerous times already, my simpleton view on the subset of this thread "about people who believe the earth is flat":

a. What harm is it done to you, me, or anybody else, by a group of people who believe the earth is flat?

b. To me it makes no difference what the person's beliefs are, unless such beliefs become harmful acts.

c. If I (taking about myself) were to condemn one group of people because of their beliefs, then I can't ignore that there are a great number of beliefs by groups of people around the world. Should I condemn only one group of people based on their beliefs?

d. We have laws that are designed to protect the people from harmful acts by other people, but there is no law against "beliefs."

Several of us have repeated the harm multiple, multiple times. It is harmful to society to convince people that what's real is faked and not to believe science books and that truth is lies.

You are the only person who keeps continually bringing the law into it, not a single person here has stated anything they are doing is or should be illegal.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-30-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,654 posts, read 3,060,439 times
Reputation: 12940
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
a. What harm is it done to you, me, or anybody else, by a group of people who believe the earth is flat?
None.

Quote:
b. To me it makes no difference what the person's beliefs are, unless such beliefs become harmful acts.
Exactly.

All of which has been said repeatedly in this thread, and you keep trying to make it into some mouth-breathing witch hunt by the thought police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,715 posts, read 6,302,007 times
Reputation: 11551
I believe the earth is round because that's what I've been told. I haven't and won't look into the science myself. People believing the earth is flat aren't harming anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 AM
 
10,649 posts, read 2,720,219 times
Reputation: 7204
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I believe the earth is round because that's what I've been told. I haven't and won't look into the science myself. People believing the earth is flat aren't harming anything.
Thats the way I see it too, if they believe that its truly flat...well, good for them, doesnt impact what I believe or what other people believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 01:58 AM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,248 posts, read 4,679,799 times
Reputation: 16403
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I wonder how many of these supposed followers are just doing it for a lark? In some sense, I suppose it's no different than believing we're living in a computer simulation.
I've encountered quite a lot of them, and no - it's not a lark for them. They're dead serious. They are invariably profoundly stupid people, who have a tendency to quickly become very angry, nasty, and insulting when challenged by a logical argument.

There's something very, very wrong with these people.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Several of us have repeated the harm multiple, multiple times. It is harmful to society to convince people that what's real is faked and not to believe science books and that truth is lies.

You are the only person who keeps continually bringing the law into it, not a single person here has stated anything they are doing is or should be illegal.
These cretins make the world I live in a more stupid place, and contribute to a disturbing trend in our society toward a general rejection of science and education. They drag all of society back a little bit, and they're my enemies because of it.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 07-04-2019 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 09:14 AM
 
640 posts, read 293,750 times
Reputation: 468
I told my mother, who is a retired History teacher in a High School, about that. She was laughing, she couldn't believe that today they were people thinking that the Earth is flat. She told me that this issue was even solved by the times of Galileo Galilei and has been proven several times during expeditions through Pacific Ocean. In fact, even since Ancient Greek, we already know that the earth is not flat, but spherical. Today we know that the trully shape of the Earth, and therefore the exact term is: oblate spheroid.

Out of curiousity, or just because I was bored, I followed the spanish guy, representative of the Earth Flat movement (or Earth-Flatters) in Spain. He became an absolutely denialist, He is not only convinced that the Earth is not spherical but also we have been cheated about the existence of dinosaurs, NASA and other space agencies, evolution is false, etc. There was a radio interview to this guy, who is just around 25 years old, studied laws, and he didn't upload this interview to his youtube channel for obvious reasons. He was utterly ridiculed. In his book, he even claimed that Michelle Obama is a man!. The interviewers told him He was a male chauvinist and they wondered why He had such an obsolete way of thinking, that It was like somebody from 2000 years ago was trying to speak them. He was ridiculed because one of the interviewers told him He did the Eratosthenes experiment to measure the Earth curvature when He was at High School, getting the same result in Madrid and Canary Islands (because some students were there). At this point the interview was funny because the interviewer asked him "can you explain me how Eratosthenes from 200 b.c. can be part of the NASA conspiracy and I am also a part of this conspiracy"? This guy claimed "this expertiment doesn't confirm anything" and the interviewer said of course it does, I tried and I get the same result in 2 different places. The Earth-Flatter guy then jumped to no-sense statements from Neil de Grasse Tyson and the interviewer repplied: "Do you believe in de Grasse who is part of the conspiracy"? He struggled completely.

Today this guy is making a fair amount of money. In one of his videos, most of people laughed at him because he claimed the Earth is flat demonstrated because the videogame Fortnite shows it, along with the dome. Some commentators stated: "seriously, now we have as a proof of Flat Earth thing a videogame?" His most recent videos are full of no-sense material such as: dinosaurs didn't exist, there were no evolution, the moon doesn't exist, reptilians, the mysterious giant guys in the Bible, the dome, and other Bible stuff. Lots of commentators look his videos as humorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Bellevue WA
1,203 posts, read 357,596 times
Reputation: 1370
There's a Netflix show called 'Behind the Curve" which chronicles the group which calls themselves "Flat Earthers". Most of them seem to have personality disorders, and they are diggin' all the media attention their ridiculous claim has generated. What's more, some members of the group conducted a few tests, and every time their flat earth concept was disproven, they wouldn't accept the truth, instead claiming some element of the test was 'off.'
They are ridiculous, mentally disturbed, and not worth another minute of my time, your time, any rational human being's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 06:14 AM
 
97 posts, read 19,390 times
Reputation: 108
Facts are not up for "belief" like the Easter Bunny. The consequences of ignorance aren't always obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 01:39 PM
 
28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Reputation: 36758
Hmmmm....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top