U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 06:30 PM

8,556 posts, read 3,001,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Religion is off the table...
Why? If you're going to talk about people spouting faith/belief-based "knowledge," religion is in that group whether you like it or not. Personally, I'm not out to bash any religion (especially those that more or less keep to themselves), but you can't arbitrarily exclude one unprovable, false-to-fact system from all the others.

Quote:
& what is FOTL, even?
Freemen on the Land, the 'native nation' crowd that uses incredibly torturous interpretations of US law to prove that the US doesn't exist, has no powers, has no power over them, etc.

Quote:
‘Jesus, Mohammed & Charles Manson’ are not comparable with the JFK assasintion in any way, shape or form. Bigfoot & UFOs are not comparable with any of the above.
They most certainly do in exactly the way I presented the whole group: that those who know some wild, made-up 'truth' about any of them are pretty much equally nuts and/or insufferable.

The flat-earth crowd is not exceptional in this regard. I can think of a half-dozen other pseudoscientific claim groups that are just as organized, have just as big a body of nonsense knowledge and are just as completely bonkers as these guys. The only difference is that there are those who believe the earth is flat, and those who know differently, and no significant body of 'believers' somewhere in between. Lots and lots and lots of people believe there is 'something to' UFOs, Bigfoot, black helicopters, etc. - in between the believers on one end and the skeptics on the other. Look at anti-vaxxers, who have never, ever had more than a few fringe (and often completely debunked) facts on their side... but their numbers keep growing and the "I dunnos" in the middle are legion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 06:30 PM

9,123 posts, read 2,994,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I wonder how many of these supposed followers are just doing it for a lark? In some sense, I suppose it's no different than believing we're living in a computer simulation.

For most of them, it's just a joke. They are people who like to be contrary and what could be more against the obvious truth, than to say that our planetary home is a flat disk? I suppose there would be some mentally-challenged people, who would take them seriously.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM

5,428 posts, read 2,756,099 times
Well, these are dark times. We need something to laugh at. So when laughing at the Scientologists gets old, we laugh at the Flat Earth Society.

I just shake my head at the things people believe in, and I include Mormonism, Islam, and Christianity in that. But then of course, I believe in ghosts, so I guess it's all relative.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:54 PM

4,921 posts, read 2,272,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
It doesn't take too much intellectual firepower to argue that there really is no difference at all. As for any statement that religious dogma cannot be disproven? I hope you are joking?

I'll take an ark full of all the world's creatures, creating humans from the ribs of other humans, and resurrection of the dead. Assuming the Jeopardy question is, "What is a small sampling of the countless thousands of religious fantasies that are undeniably and scientifically disprovable?"
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Science is incapable of disproving; although if it can prove an alternate process is responsible for causation, it is reasonable to assume the former hypothesis has been disproved.

Religious dogma relies on Faith, not the fundamental & literal interpretation of the Bible & in that context; every martyr & suicide terrorist has irrefutably proven their faith. As far as the Bible?

Given that ‘all the worlds creatures’ may have originated (transitional fossil/Tetrapods/Darwin’s fish) from the waters that once covered the world ...

Given that the pluripotent stem cells, superior for total human regeneration, can only be derived from the perichondrium cells from the rib cage of an adult ...

... It’s a bit premature to assume that science will eventually prove that the Bible is just religious fantasy.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:06 PM

9,123 posts, read 2,994,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, these are dark times. We need something to laugh at. So when laughing at the Scientologists gets old, we laugh at the Flat Earth Society.

I just shake my head at the things people believe in, and I include Mormonism, Islam, and Christianity in that. But then of course, I believe in ghosts, so I guess it's all relative.

You'd naturally think that those who were born into those cults and had that nonsense hammered into them since infancy, would be their most intense and offensive promoters. But often, their most vigorous and aggressive advocates, are those who "converted" to them as adults. Did you ever wonder why those who have independent religion as individuals are almost completely discounted and ignored by these types? I guess unless you need the organizations to carry you, that in itself, devalues the religious tyranny they want to put on everyone.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:57 PM

356 posts, read 108,881 times
There's a word for people who believe the Earth is flat. The word is "stupid". Period.
Why is it bad for people to believe in this stupid ignorant theory?
Because believing in it shows stupidity. Because it's simply not okay to refute true science, to refute true knowledge.
Doing so is... stupid.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:04 PM

356 posts, read 108,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The answer to your extended question is the same as why people believe any false-to-fact, unverifiable, unprovable thing: because it means they're among the enlightened and you're not. There's no one more insufferable than someone who knows The Truth about the JFK assassination, or Bigfoot, or UFOs, or FOTL... or, in many cases, about Jesus or Mohammed or Charlie Manson.

Flat Earthers are just a particularly rabid and stupid sect in that array. Move on to Rosicrucians next, who publish all their sixth-grade-level materials in large, easy to read fonts.
Flat earth theory is stupid with no supporting evidence. On the other hand even our own Congress House Assassination Committee determined that Kennedy was shot by a conspiracy.

And recently higher ups in the US Government have announced and shown footage of UFO's being encountered by air force pilots, and many government documents re UFO's have been released, albeit with up to 90% of those documents redacted. (Ask yourself: why redact them if UFO's don't exist?)

So please don't lump in the JFK conspiracy and the truth about UFO's along with flat earth stupidity.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 PM

4,828 posts, read 1,533,853 times
If the Earth was flat though, if you were to get on a plane and fly around the world, from one country to another that is on the other side, at some point the plane would have to fly over half of the world and do a huge nose dive, over of the edge of the Earth, and then dip down the other side of the planet. Surely these flat Earth believers who flew around the world would notice something like this, not just feeling it, but also from looking at the the edge of the Earth, from out the window of the plane, no?

Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 AM

4,921 posts, read 2,272,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Freemen on the Land, the 'native nation' crowd that uses incredibly torturous interpretations of US law to prove that the US doesn't exist, has no powers, has no power over them, etc.
Oh, okay. I had ever heard of them before. Google gave me; 'Fruit Of the Loom' underwear.

Quote:
They most certainly do in exactly the way I presented the whole group: that those who know some wild, made-up 'truth' about any of them are pretty much equally nuts and/or insufferable.

The flat-earth crowd is not exceptional in this regard. I can think of a half-dozen other pseudoscientific claim groups that are just as organized, have just as big a body of nonsense knowledge and are just as completely bonkers as these guys. The only difference is that there are those who believe the earth is flat, and those who know differently, and no significant body of 'believers' somewhere in between. Lots and lots and lots of people believe there is 'something to' UFOs, Bigfoot, black helicopters, etc. - in between the believers on one end and the skeptics on the other. Look at anti-vaxxers, who have never, ever had more than a few fringe (and often completely debunked) facts on their side... but their numbers keep growing and the "I dunnos" in the middle are legion.
I guess I just have to disagree. Bigfoot sightings predate his celebrity status by hundreds of years. There are Bureau of Indian Affairs documents regarding the consistent eye-witness accounts of pioneers & settlers, asking for the administrations support in discouraging officials from referring to the creature as a 'myth', because the natives became offended & would not cooperate with investigators. First-hand reports have been filed by members of law enforcement & the military. Archived newspapers dating back to the 1700s regarding skeletal remains that were 'human-like' & over 7' tall.

There are no such reports about a flat earth. Only speculation that would depend on literally thousands of co-conspirators; obviously an impossibility.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,867,229 times
skeptical by nature, I can't definitively rule out the possibility that the earth is flat, or at the very least, squished in a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or