U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2019, 06:51 AM
 
20,520 posts, read 16,599,446 times
Reputation: 38519

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
This, lol. I find the idea of a magical dude in the sky who made us from clay equally ridiculous, but people pick and choose their follies.
I agree with you, but there’s a big difference. Science can’t prove there is no God so the debate will always remain. Science has proved the earth is round. That is the harmful part, the promulgation of theory that says science and fact are lies. That say the government has tricked you and everything we’ve learned about earth and the solar system are lies. I think it’s pretty clear in any case, that the belief in a magical dude in the sky as you say, has probably caused more harm to the common good than any other “follie” of a belief. Throughout history it’s been the cause of more wars and deaths of human beings then anything else I can think of.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-29-2019 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2019, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,556 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
And I have been saying that I don't see any harm being done by those who believe that the earth is flat or not.
Because it's become clear that, living in the last wild corner of the US, you hold very tightly to the idea that "what your neighbor over the hill does ain't none of your business and don't bother you none."

A sentiment that still runs through the 48 but became more and more outmoded, if not laughable, before you were born.

There are no more hills to be over where your actions don't affect anyone, especially not when it comes to public perception of science, fact, reason and resulting public action based on that information.

Note: Actions. Not thoughts. Think as you like. Act your bizarre thoughts, and you are likely causing damage to others. You don't seem to grasp that these are two very different things, and it's not really worth arguing any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 10:50 AM
 
8,198 posts, read 2,422,478 times
Reputation: 5723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There are many scientifically illiterate people in the world, and among them are many flat earthers. There's even a flat earth society that promotes the flat earth view around the world.

https://wiki.tfes.org/Flat_Earth_-_F...sked_Questions

It's hard to understand how anyone in the world today can seriously believe the earth is flat, but such people do exist.
They're joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 11:04 AM
 
20,520 posts, read 16,599,446 times
Reputation: 38519
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
They're joking.

They aren't. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern...arth_societies Apparently the Bible says the earth is flat, and some people believe everything in the bible is fact. They have conventions:


"Based on the speakers at the 2018 UK's Flat Earth UK Convention, believers in a flat Earth vary widely in their views. While most agree upon a disc-shaped Earth, some are convinced the Earth is diamond-shaped. Furthermore, while most believers do not believe in outer space and none believe mankind has ever traveled there, they vary widely in their views of the universe."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 12:17 PM
 
28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Reputation: 36735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But you have to take into considerations that most children spend more time in the classroom each day than they spend talking to their parents. And at home they are playing games on their game machines, surfing the net, and watching whatever TV show or movie their parents let them watch. Just imagine what the children of working parents do at home. A great portion of the children are being educated by the TV, and Internet (computers, tablets, and cellphones). And don't believe for a minute that even at school they aren't being brain-washed by some of the teachers. That's the way it is these days.

The government cannot "just" step into the homes of the "flat-earthers" and order them to stop telling their children that the earth is flat.

But the main point I have been trying to make is that if I was going to condemn only a portion of the population because of their beliefs, then I should not ignore other sectors of the population who believe in other things. To the "flat-earthters" the earth is flat. That's truth to them. To a religious person God is true. If you don't believe in God, why should you condemn a religious person for his of her beliefs?

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

I'm not condemning anyone. Stop overreacting. All I'm saying is that people who believe the Earth is flat are ignorant.

And now you are discussing religion. Wrong forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,556 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
All I'm saying is that people who believe the Earth is flat are ignorant.

And now you are discussing religion. Wrong forum.
I probably dragged that in as an example of a belief that is either unprovable or contrary to established fact. I think it's valid here, as touchy as some people may be about it - of course their church's teachings are reasonable and should be respected, but those idiots over there are just deluded fools, and all that.

All unprovable and/or false-to-fact beliefs are equivalent. All of them. To claim exceptionalism for yours is no different from a foot-stomping Flat-Earther babbling about an accelerating disc. If "I believe that..." is the whole argument, then it's not an argument, whether it's Jesus or the Second Shooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,599 posts, read 28,748,573 times
Reputation: 12357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Because it's become clear that, living in the last wild corner of the US, you hold very tightly to the idea that "what your neighbor over the hill does ain't none of your business and don't bother you none."

A sentiment that still runs through the 48 but became more and more outmoded, if not laughable, before you were born.

There are no more hills to be over where your actions don't affect anyone, especially not when it comes to public perception of science, fact, reason and resulting public action based on that information.

Note: Actions. Not thoughts. Think as you like. Act your bizarre thoughts, and you are likely causing damage to others. You don't seem to grasp that these are two very different things, and it's not really worth arguing any longer.
My points have nothing to do with leaving your neighbor alone because it is not my business, but with the law of the land. People have certain rights that are and should be protected. Just because I "feel" that someone is doing something unethical or harmful, it may not be necessarily true. That's why we have laws. Do you have tangible proof that the "belief" of the earth being flat (of any other belief for that matter) is harming anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,556 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
My points have nothing to do with leaving your neighbor alone because it is not my business, but with the law of the land. People have certain rights that are and should be protected. Just because I "feel" that someone is doing something unethical or harmful, it may not be necessarily true. That's why we have laws. Do you have tangible proof that the "belief" of the earth being flat, or that God exists, (of any other belief for that matter) is harming anybody?
Nothing to add. You either don't understand the actual question, or refuse to engage it, or are simply reverse-trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,599 posts, read 28,748,573 times
Reputation: 12357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

I'm not condemning anyone. Stop overreacting. All I'm saying is that people who believe the Earth is flat are ignorant.

And now you are discussing religion. Wrong forum.
I have never said that "you" were condemning anybody. Read my previous response, for I was saying, "if I was going to condemn only a portion of the population because of their beliefs, then I should not ignore other sectors of the population who believe in other things."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Seattle
603 posts, read 151,213 times
Reputation: 679
The story has it that President Eisenhower was appalled to learn that about half of the children in the country have below average intelligence. He thought that something should be done to address this problem.

Here we are and still nothing has been done. It's dreadful. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top