Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:52 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The word “believe” implies an opinion. The things we are discussing in this thread are not opinion. It’s not an opinion that the earth is round. They are indisputable fact. If people don’t believe concrete facts I wouldn’t say they’re stupid but certainly they are ignorant.
Maybe I should have emoji'ed that for clarity.

That those who are 'smart' can simply dismiss those who are 'stupid' as not being worth bothering about was the point.

But to your comment, some people are simply ignorant. Someone who has spent considerable time building a belief in nonsense may technically be ignorant, but they got there through willful stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 04:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I strongly think that there is a potential damage/danger related to all this stuff. Some youtubers are promoting material that is completely wrong and spread ignorance, misinforming and confusing thousands of people worldwide. At certain point, I see this fact as very little dangerous but then I noticed that there is a religious message hidden in this "Theory" (which is not and will never be a Theory) leaning on the Bible and other similar material. That indoctrination may lead to a sectarian movement affecting thousands of people, and also there are still lots of people being scammed, because this is clearly a scam to make money. In my opinion they are operating as a sect, washing the brain of thousands of people with unfounded material. It is clear they are taking advantage of the weakest, scaming them, manipulating the weakest individuals of the modern society.
There is a potential for all kinds of bad and good things to happen. Things that may be wrong to you may not necessarily be the same to another, but regardless, we have laws that if applied correctly punish those who are harming others. If you think some people are posting bad of stupid stuff in "youtube," how about the free over-the-air TV and radio? How about the stuff shown day in and day out in movies? How about local and national politicians talking all kinds of things?

Why should you condemn one set of beliefs over the rest? Are "flatearthers" committing a crime for believing that the earth is flat?

Old 06-28-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I just told you where the harm is.
Just because these people believe that the earth is flat makes them harmful? What are you going to do with those who believe in Big Foot, and Big Kneecap (the latter was one of Bigfoot's ancestors predating Big Butt). Then you have lots of people who believe in UFOs. Are "remote viewers" harmful, too?

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-28-2019 at 04:51 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 04:46 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Just because these people believe that the earth is flat makes them harmful? What are you going to do with those who believe in Big Foot, and Big Kneecap (the latter was Bigfoot's ancestor). Then you have lots of people who believe in UFOs
I think those things are different. They aren’t telling people everything science has learned is wrong, and they aren’t accusing a government agency of faking one of the most a pivotal events in human history. This has much more potential to do harm to the entire concept of facts and truth. This is like our manipulator in chief and his infamous “What you are seeing and hearing isn’t real”. A lot more dangerous than believing in a missing link wandering the woods.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Just because these people believe that the earth is flat makes them harmful?
O-girl's already given a pretty good answer, a couple of them.

No, it doesn't matter if someone wants to believe... whatever they want to believe.

It does matter, very much, if they try to promulgate a nonsense belief, and convince others when it affects voting, understanding of issues, public perception of issues etc. This is nowhere more true than when high idiocy plus a loud voice has a direct impact on the rest of us, with anti-vaxxers the poster child here.

Yes, the claim that earth is flat is nonsense. If people want to believe (or "believe") that, fine. But when they are disparaging real facts, provable truth and valid science and and belittling institutional expertise because they choose to believe provable nonsense, they are damaging the world for the rest of us.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
O-girl's already given a pretty good answer, a couple of them.

No, it doesn't matter if someone wants to believe... whatever they want to believe.

It does matter, very much, if they try to promulgate a nonsense belief, and convince others when it affects voting, understanding of issues, public perception of issues etc. This is nowhere more true than when high idiocy plus a loud voice has a direct impact on the rest of us, with anti-vaxxers the poster child here.

Yes, the claim that earth is flat is nonsense. If people want to believe (or "believe") that, fine. But when they are disparaging real facts, provable truth and valid science and and belittling institutional expertise because they choose to believe provable nonsense, they are damaging the world for the rest of us.
Sorry, but I just can agree with such a view. I can't accept that a set of beliefs that aren't unethical or criminal are harmful. I just find it illogical to blame one group and ignore the rest. People believe in all kinds of things, sometimes alone, sometimes in groups. Do you think "earth flatters" should be punished by law?

Should beliefs be prohibited? Should the whole US population be controlled so that no emotions and beliefs don't exist like in the movie, Equilibrium?

Old 06-28-2019, 05:16 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I just can agree with such a view. I can't accept that a set of beliefs that aren't unethical or criminal are harmful. I just find it illogical to blame one group and ignore the rest. People believe in all kinds of things, sometimes alone, sometimes in groups. Do you think "earth flatters" should be punished by law?

Should beliefs be prohibited? Should the whole US population be controlled so that no emotions and beliefs don't exist like in the movie, Equilibrium?
Of course not, we still have free speech in this country. Why are you so obsessed with whether we think it’s criminal behavior? Something can be harmful to the common good without rising to the level of a crime.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Of course not, we still have free speech in this country. Why are you so obsessed with whether we think it’s criminal behavior? Something can be harmful to the common good without rising to the level of a crime.
Exactly right. But you can't just blame one set of beliefs and ignore the rest. Well, you can in fact blame one group and ignore the rest, because there is nothing wrong with that. I just don't. By the way, there are laws to protect others from harm, so don't believe for a minute that harm is not punishable by law once the "harm" becomes an act.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:33 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:

It's interesting that people who claim to have science and knowledge on their side are so afraid of people they don't agree with to the point of venomous name calling and suppression of the other people's basic right to believe in whatever they want.

I am more worried about these people than the flat-earth people.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I can't accept that a set of beliefs that aren't unethical or criminal are harmful.
I think you're going out of your way to miss/argue the point.

Belief, in and of itself, is an entirely personal thing subject to no control other than what happens to people who believe stupid things (like, they can drive just fine with a BAC of .25, or don't need to vaccinate their children, or don't need "radioactive" smoke detectors in their house).

Belief as it is used to influence common goals and practices can be immensely damaging (as in when a jurisdiction bans childhood vaccination).

Do you really not grasp the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology