U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 01:48 PM

830 posts, read 295,336 times

Advertisements

So if a prescription calls for 2 teaspoons of a liquid, how does that convert to milligrams? For instance, one website says take 2 teaspoons of aloe vera, then another says 100-200 milligrams. So how many milligrams in 2 teaspoons would that be? :-) thanks, guy! (and gals...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 01:49 PM

8,556 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Did you know Google will convert almost any number to any other related number? Monetary exchange rates, weight to density for various materials, acres to yards to feet to inches, metric conversions... give it a whirl.

You are, by the way, trying to convert a volume measurement to a weight, which you can't do without knowing the content weight of the goop. It's easy with water, sand and cement, not so easy with substances whose manufacture and processing may vary considerably.

But goog up "2 teaspoons water to milligrams" and you'll have a start. Keep in mind, as above, that 'milligrams' in dosage calculation assume a standard formula, etc. 50 micrograms of medicine per ml of solution. Conversions are thus not universal, although most pharmacy preparations try to stay near a standard ratio.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:05 PM

37,945 posts, read 55,692,297 times
I am pretty sure more precise indication you will find directly on the bottle.
Don't worry, though, as an oral supplement, aloe has no set dose.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 07-02-2019 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am pretty sure more precise indication you will find directly on the bottle.
Don't worry, though, as an oral supplement, aloe has no set dose.
I kind of skipped over it being a non-USP, folk-formulated substance.

I do believe a lot of problems with supplements and alternative medicines that might otherwise be benign to helpful is that dosing (including measuring desired doses) is often... haphazard to whimsical to 'if a little's good, lots is better.'

Old 07-02-2019, 03:23 PM

39,438 posts, read 40,743,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's easy with water, sand and cement,

All three can be a little tricky unless you were just looking for rough measurements. Water or liquids will expand and contract with heat/cold. I had an Uncle in the oil delivery business, he would always try fill the truck the day before and let it sit somewhere warm... tricky. Cement is pretty consistent product but would take up less space if for example it were vibrated. The sand can have the widest ranges. There may be water weight, sand from different sources can have different densities and the sizing of the sand can have significant impact.

A finer sand will take up more space than larger sized sand. This may sound counter-intuitive but the smaller a bulk product like that is the more surface area it has, this creates more gaps which may be smaller but the volume of them as whole is much larger.

If it were coal one size is rice about the size of a pencil eraser, over a 5 ton load you can see the volume difference by eye compared to something like chestnut(another size) which is typically a little bigger than a golf ball. There might be a difference of about 10 to 15 cubic feet.

Last edited by thecoalman; 07-02-2019 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 09:32 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
^^ Nice!

Old 07-03-2019, 07:53 PM

226 posts, read 27,213 times
Here's one. Let's say you have a gallon of liquid A in one container and a gallon of liquid B in another container. You take a cup of A and mix it into the B container and stir it up. Then you take cup of that mix in B and pour it into A.
Is there more A in the B container or more B in the A container?

Spoiler
Same

Old 07-03-2019, 08:18 PM

830 posts, read 295,336 times
OK, I give up and just scratch my head. No wonder I stopped at trigonometry in high school (I liked trig, but didn't go on to physics). :-)

Old 07-03-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Here's one. Let's say you have a gallon of liquid A in one container and a gallon of liquid B in another container. You take a cup of A and mix it into the B container and stir it up. Then you take cup of that mix in B and pour it into A.

Spoiler
Same
Not if the liquids are alcohol and water. 1 liter of water and 1 liter of ethanol will make about 1.92 liters of solution. (I figure if someone is going to go all civil engineering on my offhand comment about cement, I can go all chem major on this... )

Old 07-04-2019, 02:22 AM

37,945 posts, read 55,692,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post

Spoiler
Same
Isn't that about volume, not weight?
A gallon of syrup weighs 11 pounds while gallon of alcohol weighs only about 6.5 pounds...

OP is talking about weight: "how many milligrams in 2 teaspoons would that be?"
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 07-04-2019 at 02:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or