U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2019, 09:24 AM
 
753 posts, read 389,727 times
Reputation: 178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most support the most common formats, these formats haven't just popped up to **** you off. A modern codec uses about 1/4 the file size as MPEG2 for same quality video.
I remember the good old days of VHS video where there were only two formats pal and ntsc

These formats were not designed to take me off they were designed to maintain proprietary control over digital media and that has resulted in a complete cluster for the American Market

In Reading in some subforms I have found that digital media players work great in most countries but not in America because we have so much crony capitalism that allows all this proprietary B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2019, 05:52 PM
 
39,873 posts, read 41,327,681 times
Reputation: 16517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I remember the good old days of VHS video where there were only two formats pal and ntsc

These formats were not designed to take me off they were designed to maintain proprietary control over digital media and that has resulted in a complete cluster for the American Market

In Reading in some subforms I have found that digital media players work great in most countries but not in America because we have so much crony capitalism that allows all this proprietary B.S.

Commercial VHS tapes are copy protected just like modern media. There is an error inserted into the video stream that was patented by company called Macrovison. This error does not interfere with display on a TV but plays havoc with a VHS deck trying to record it, it's mandated that modern devices like DVD recorders and capture cards you would use on computer recognize this error and prevent copying.

In a sense this would be more difficult to defeat than modern copy protection because you need specific analog hardware to fix the error before it reaches the device you are using to copy it. It can;t be fixed through software because the digital copy is FUBAR from the start.

As far as copyrighted material you recorded to VHS from TV that does not have this error inserted the Beta-Max decision was based on "time shifting" where you record something and view it later. Although you could it doesn't cover building a library of material. It's only limitations in technology that prevented you from doing so.

I have not experienced the issue you are complaining about but then again I don't randomly download copyrighted material off the internet for later viewing. If there is copyright flag inserted that adds a another layer of issues beyond the formats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 07:19 AM
 
753 posts, read 389,727 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Commercial VHS tapes are copy protected just like modern media. There is an error inserted into the video stream that was patented by company called Macrovison. This error does not interfere with display on a TV but plays havoc with a VHS deck trying to record it, it's mandated that modern devices like DVD recorders and capture cards you would use on computer recognize this error and prevent copying.

In a sense this would be more difficult to defeat than modern copy protection because you need specific analog hardware to fix the error before it reaches the device you are using to copy it. It can;t be fixed through software because the digital copy is FUBAR from the start.

As far as copyrighted material you recorded to VHS from TV that does not have this error inserted the Beta-Max decision was based on "time shifting" where you record something and view it later. Although you could it doesn't cover building a library of material. It's only limitations in technology that prevented you from doing so.

I have not experienced the issue you are complaining about but then again I don't randomly download copyrighted material off the internet for later viewing. If there is copyright flag inserted that adds a another layer of issues beyond the formats.

Well I actually never did and never plan to record and distribute copyrighted material

I'm just trying to get my Smart TV to function as advertised

There's nothing illegal about downloading an old Judo tournament to a legal device, taking it home and expecting your smart TV to function as advertised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 07:39 AM
 
39,873 posts, read 41,327,681 times
Reputation: 16517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Well I actually never did and never plan to record and distribute copyrighted material

Unless the original recording was made by you it's copyrighted by someone else.



Quote:
There's nothing illegal about downloading an old Judo tournament to a legal device, taking it home and expecting your smart TV to function as advertised
Actually that would be an infringement of copyright unless the copyright owner has expressly licensed it for public use without restrictions. Assuming the person that has uploaded it is the copyright owner they are granting Youtube or whatever site they uploaded a soft license to use that material. You have been granted no such license. That said no one has ever been sued for using such material for personal use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 AM
 
753 posts, read 389,727 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Unless the original recording was made by you it's copyrighted by someone else.



Actually that would be an infringement of copyright unless the copyright owner has expressly licensed it for public use without restrictions. Assuming the person that has uploaded it is the copyright owner they are granting Youtube or whatever site they uploaded a soft license to use that material. You have been granted no such license. That said no one has ever been sued for using such material for personal use.

Oh yeah then how does YouTube get around all the copyright infringement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 11:05 AM
 
39,873 posts, read 41,327,681 times
Reputation: 16517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Oh yeah then how does YouTube get around all the copyright infringement?

Sites like Youtube, this one, and others that allow user generated content fall under the Safe Harbor provision in the DMCA that absolves them of liability for copyright infringement from their users. It would be impossible for the site owner to make sure everything is not copyrighted, without that provision the internet would grind to halt at least as far as sites that allow users to post things.

If the copyright owner is aware of it they can issue a DMCA take down notice, Youtube would need to comply with this otherwise they would then be liable. However what usually occurs with Youtube is they will offer the copyright owner a cut of the ad revenue to keep it up. That is why you will see so much copyrighted materiel there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,752 posts, read 2,505,855 times
Reputation: 4463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I have 2 Smart TVs

one bought about 10 years ago one bought about two years ago and neither one of them work whatsoever in playing anything off a USB

I'm currently living in a rural location and I do not have access to anything but satellite internet and do not want to pay the exorbitant fees for a less efficient product

At this point I am trying to explore options to download video off the internet at work or the library and play it at home

I'm not trying to rip the latest Game of Thrones episode or anything like that I'm just wanting to watch some old crusty judo videos off youtube on my large screen

I've tried the USB and I've tried to burn a DVD at work but of course neither one will work in my Smart TV or DVD player...one dvd player will play the audio but no video

Makes me remember the good old days of VHS were all we had was pal or ntsc

now we're buried chin-deep in thousands of different formats and codecs and it doesn't seem like anything works or communicates unless you are part of the proprietary Network

So ridiculous that in the United States in the year 2019 I can't just take a USB to work, download a few old judo videos to mp4 and go home and enjoy the tournaments on my weekend with my "smart" tv...LOL

Looked up a few media players on Amazon but they all have really dodgy reviews

Perhaps I should just go to a pawn shop and get a old desktop computer hook that up to my smart TV and play USB and DVD's off it?

Is this at this point I am literally downloading video to a tablet and watching my tournaments on a tiny little screen

Insignia Ns-42e470a13

Insignia (roku tv) Ns-39dr510na17

pitiful

The easiest solution IMO is to get a 4k firestick.
Install the latest version of Kodi, free software you can download
Get a low cost NAS, network attached storage where you can store your videos, audio, whatever.
Set up a connection from Kodi to your NAS over Wifi.
Enjoy your videos

This is the setup I use.


The alternative would be to get an OTG cable for the firestick and connect an external hard drive directly to it. This would eliminate the need for Wifi. You would still use Kodi to play video.

I still have my old HTPC, a Windows 7 laptop which also has Kodi on it and it's own hard drive where I can also store video content or play from my own file server over a wired connection or Wifi.

Both the laptop and the firestick connect to your TV via HDMI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 06:42 AM
 
753 posts, read 389,727 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The easiest solution IMO is to get a 4k firestick.
Install the latest version of Kodi, free software you can download
Get a low cost NAS, network attached storage where you can store your videos, audio, whatever.
Set up a connection from Kodi to your NAS over Wifi.
Enjoy your videos

This is the setup I use.


The alternative would be to get an OTG cable for the firestick and connect an external hard drive directly to it. This would eliminate the need for Wifi. You would still use Kodi to play video.

I still have my old HTPC, a Windows 7 laptop which also has Kodi on it and it's own hard drive where I can also store video content or play from my own file server over a wired connection or Wifi.

Both the laptop and the firestick connect to your TV via HDMI.
Okay cool suggestion

can you post some links where I can find the best deal on the kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 08:07 AM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
3,752 posts, read 2,505,855 times
Reputation: 4463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Okay cool suggestion

can you post some links where I can find the best deal on the kit
There's no kit.

I can post links to what you need but what are you interested in exactly?

Do you have wifi? and I assume you have a TV with HDMI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:09 AM
 
753 posts, read 389,727 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There's no kit.

I can post links to what you need but what are you interested in exactly?

Do you have wifi? and I assume you have a TV with HDMI?
No I'm in a rural area that doesn't have Wi-Fi

I have 2 Smart TVs with HDMI inputs

At this point I am downloading YouTube videos to a tablet and watching them on my little screen at home

I've been told that I might be able to connect my tablet to my TV but anytime I try to plug in a thumb drive it will refuse to read the data... I assume that my television won't jive with my tablet as we are in a proprietary cluster bomb at the moment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top