Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 08:42 PM

41,815 posts, read 51,003,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
No I'm in a rural area that doesn't have Wi-Fi

WiFi is a function of a router. You can connect multiple devices to a router using WiFi or wired Ethernet allowing those devices to communicate with each other.. Assuming your smart TV has wi-fi or Ethernet you can connect it to a router and it can access video files on your PC if it is also connected to the router. There is a little bit more setup involved but that is the gist of it.

Typically the router is connected to a modem and supplies internet connectivity to all devices but it doesn't have to.

Quote:
I assume that my television won't jive with my tablet as we are in a proprietary cluster bomb at the moment
This is a PEBKAC error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 08:22 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,461,696 times
Quote:
No I'm in a rural area that doesn't have Wi-Fi

I have 2 Smart TVs with HDMI inputs

At this point I am downloading YouTube videos to a tablet and watching them on my little screen at home

I've been told that I might be able to connect my tablet to my TV but anytime I try to plug in a thumb drive it will refuse to read the data... I assume that my television won't jive with my tablet as we are in a proprietary cluster bomb at the moment
A tablet and no wifi? The only way that would work is a 4g tablet.

How do you get internet?

You could cast somehow from your tablet to your TV but I would need more information, and you need may need wifi to cast. It depends on what kind of casting you will use. Miracast does not need a wifi router, it casts directly to the TV but the TV has to have that capability or you get it from a media player like the Fire Stick. The Fire Stick will not work without wifi. When I say wifi, I mean wireless networking in your house, not necessarily the internet.

So, is the tablet all you have?

Old 09-13-2019, 09:38 AM

1,031 posts, read 637,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
A tablet and no wifi? The only way that would work is a 4g tablet.

How do you get internet?

You could cast somehow from your tablet to your TV but I would need more information, and you need may need wifi to cast. It depends on what kind of casting you will use. Miracast does not need a wifi router, it casts directly to the TV but the TV has to have that capability or you get it from a media player like the Fire Stick. The Fire Stick will not work without wifi. When I say wifi, I mean wireless networking in your house, not necessarily the internet.

So, is the tablet all you have?
wow that's great information

I'm willing to go out and spend a couple hundred on a better tablet to make this work

My only internet access is through my data plan and it's pretty shoddy in connectivity

In rural areas of North Carolina your only option is to sign an expensive contract on a two-year satellite plan that won't even allow you to participate in online gaming so the value just isn't there

Im happy to pick up a firestick and a 4k tablet...any links would be AWESOME

At the moment i download internet video at work/library and take it home

We have 2 Smart tvs however we are relagated to watching it on the tablet

Last edited by Boer; 09-13-2019 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 10:41 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,461,696 times
Quote:
wow that's great information

I'm willing to go out and spend a couple hundred on a better tablet to make this work

My only internet access is through my data plan and it's pretty shoddy in connectivity

In rural areas of North Carolina your only option is to sign an expensive contract on a two-year satellite plan that won't even allow you to participate in online gaming so the value just isn't there

Im happy to pick up a firestick and a 4k tablet...any links would be AWESOME

At the moment i download internet video at work/library and take it home

We have 2 Smart tvs however we are relagated to watching it on the tablet
4K firestick happens to be on sale right now, usually $50 it's at $25. You will need some type of wifi either to cast to it from a tablet or have it play video from another device. I haven't tried to share video from a tablet, I've done it from windows, either a desktop or laptop BUT there is a way to connect an external or flash drive to it, so in my opinion that may be the easiest and cheapest especially if you are downloading the video at work. If you go this route, you may not need the wifi. You will not be able to login to your account from the firestick without internet but there should be a way around that.

Anyway, here's the link for the Firestick, it's a great deal and won't last long, if you order make sure to use the code "4KFIRETV" to get the discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick...dp/B079QHML21/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology