Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 07:48 AM

1,400 posts, read 763,910 times

Advertisements

All I can say is I wish they taught Science when I was in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 11:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
I'm keeping an eye on this...

Quote:
Iron-Nitride Super Magnets

Iron-nitride is a powerful magnetic material, being theoretically more than twice as strong as rare earth magnets. Built from two of the most common elements on Earth iron and nitrogen, these magnets are also much cheaper than rare earth magnets. These advantages give iron nitride magnets a potent niche, as they are both more effective and cheaper than traditional solutions.

Company Niron Magnetics has begun building partnerships to commercialize their iron-nitride magnets for REE-reliant applications like power generation, electric vehicles, and other key technologies. They have secured over $17.5 million dollars from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency–Energy (ARPA-E) program, where this funding will go towards scaling partner capabilities, production lines, and other aspects necessary for the deployment of REE-free super magnets. Niron Magnetics partners include several global device manufacturers such as Volvo, Western Digital, and others to ensure that this magnet technology seamlessly integrates into customer products as scale-up continues.
source: https://www.thomasnet.com/insights/w...arth-elements/

Old 08-14-2023, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
For the purpose of magnetic REPULSION maybe using the Meissner effect of SUPERCONDUCTORS could have better results than neodymium magnets... Superconductors would repeal the magnetic field of air core coils when the coils are turned "on", right? Superdiamagnetism...

What you think?

Still not sure if that would work the same way as with permanent magnets, but let's keep an eye on it, specially with the recent news about room temperature superconductors

Old 08-16-2023, 09:42 AM

10,822 posts, read 4,506,581 times
This thread opened and slept before I was here....but I saw it today. Somewhere in the dusty cobwebs of my mind, be it HS honors physics or actual college physics courses, I fuzzily recall some formula or rule of thumb that defines the maximum field strength from naturally occurring elements.

however, powered magnets...it is within our grasp to now contain a matter/anti-matter annihilation in the engine room of a starship....should any of that ever exist.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:31 AM

I'm still tracking the iron nitride permanent magnets saga...

News from this year on MIT Technology Review:

Quote:
How new magnets could accelerate climate action

(...)

Permanent magnets can maintain a magnetic field on their own without an electric charge. They’re commonly used in motors, making them spin when an electric field is applied. The permanent magnets used in high-end motors today are built using a class of materials called rare earth metals. Demand for these materials is expected to skyrocket in the coming decades, fueled in particular by the growth of electric vehicles and wind turbines. As mines and processing facilities struggle to keep up, supplies may stretch thin.

One Minnesota startup has been working to address this looming shortage. Niron Magnetics is building a large-scale manufacturing facility to produce iron nitride, a magnetic material derived from common elements, while also working to improve the material’s properties so that it can be used in stronger magnets to power more products.

(...)

With higher magnet strength, iron nitride magnets will be more useful in devices like electric vehicles and wind turbines. In theory, the material should be able to reach 20 to 30 MGOe using Niron’s current manufacturing method, Wang says, though achieving that will require “a lot of optimization.” The theoretical ceiling is much higher, with iron nitride potentially being able to form magnets stronger than the neodymium ones used today.
https://www.technologyreview.com/202...limate-action/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology