U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2019, 06:50 AM
 
Location: NNJ
9,798 posts, read 5,502,818 times
Reputation: 10744

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
If I were to start a YouTube competitor the ISP would simply block me
That's certainly not true.... as long as you keep paying your bills.

As many posters already pointed out, your understanding the internet, technology, and law in question is lacking and thus your rant is unsubstantiated.

Also.. no one is forcing you to use Google, Youtube or any other internet service.... if you aren't paying them a subscription service you don't have a leg to stand on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2019, 09:43 AM
 
740 posts, read 385,499 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
That's certainly not true.... as long as you keep paying your bills.

As many posters already pointed out, your understanding the internet, technology, and law in question is lacking and thus your rant is unsubstantiated.

Also.. no one is forcing you to use Google, Youtube or any other internet service.... if you aren't paying them a subscription service you don't have a leg to stand on.
Let me get this straight

You actually support the ISP having the power to block filter and throttle internet content?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 05:03 PM
 
39,824 posts, read 41,219,277 times
Reputation: 16495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Let me get this straight

You actually support the ISP having the power to block filter and throttle internet content?

I have always supported the NN rules but you are trying to conflate one issue with another. If anything it likely will be Youtube getting throttled in favor of subscription service like Netflix that has reason to partner with the ISP. All of these services will be at risk if the ISP decides to prioritize their own service.


Since dropping these rules I'm not aware of any issues yet so we'll have to cross that bridge when we get to it. If that occurs there will be complaints filed but it will be to the FTC instead of the FCC.



Getting back to your complaints about YouTube dominating the free services market what do you propose be done about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:12 PM
 
483 posts, read 214,612 times
Reputation: 600
Youtube as with a lot of others, recently forced me to upgrade to continue using it. The adds were so over the top I decided to delete youtube. But, thought about it a moment and went into the controls, made a few adjustments. Poof, I would like to say 'no more adds' but can't. Although, I was able to eliminate about 75% of them.
If the adds return = I delete youtube. It was fun while it lasted. When the bad outways the good = seeya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:15 PM
 
Location: NNJ
9,798 posts, read 5,502,818 times
Reputation: 10744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Let me get this straight

You actually support the ISP having the power to block filter and throttle internet content?
I'm in support for learning and researching before making such threads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 05:17 AM
 
Location: NNJ
9,798 posts, read 5,502,818 times
Reputation: 10744
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
If the adds return = I delete youtube. It was fun while it lasted. When the bad outways the good = seeya
This is the proper reaction. Don't like their business model, stop using it. How hard was that?

It boggles my mind when people complain and whine about ads.... on a free service.

Nothing is for free. I have no problem with services using ads to generate revenue... it is a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 09:55 AM
 
740 posts, read 385,499 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
This is the proper reaction. Don't like their business model, stop using it. How hard was that?

It boggles my mind when people complain and whine about ads.... on a free service.

Nothing is for free. I have no problem with services using ads to generate revenue... it is a business.
So how come I can't delete the Google app off my smart phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 09:59 AM
 
740 posts, read 385,499 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I'm in support for learning and researching before making such threads...
I know the answer to all the questions I'm asking you

I just want to see what your opinion is and clearly you're dodging the question for a very good reason

Net neutrality was a critical piece of legislation that got repealed by our new business hungry president and his business-minded FCC chairman for Verizon lawyer Ajit Pai

The ability to block filter and throttle content on the Internet is something the isps have been lusting for for many years and until the Netflix Fiasco no one even knew what they were up to

Perhaps when YouTube has worked you up to five minutes of unskipable ads before a 30 second video you all will realize that you have been suckered into giving up your free and open access to the internet

Giant power-hungry corporations like Google have paid the largest fines in world history for manipulation and Monopoly attempts in Europe however in America they are allowed to dominate with absolute power

How come there are no YouTube competitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 04:04 PM
 
Location: NNJ
9,798 posts, read 5,502,818 times
Reputation: 10744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
So how come I can't delete the Google app off my smart phone?
Because it is an Android phone... Guess who is the principle implementor of Android? This is like asking why Ford isn't selling cars with Chevy engines... duh.

You don't have to use it.... you can always use a different alternative app. Google isn't stopping you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 04:07 PM
 
Location: NNJ
9,798 posts, read 5,502,818 times
Reputation: 10744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I know the answer to all the questions I'm asking you

I just want to see what your opinion is and clearly you're dodging the question for a very good reason

Net neutrality was a critical piece of legislation that got repealed by our new business hungry president and his business-minded FCC chairman for Verizon lawyer Ajit Pai

The ability to block filter and throttle content on the Internet is something the isps have been lusting for for many years and until the Netflix Fiasco no one even knew what they were up to

Perhaps when YouTube has worked you up to five minutes of unskipable ads before a 30 second video you all will realize that you have been suckered into giving up your free and open access to the internet

Giant power-hungry corporations like Google have paid the largest fines in world history for manipulation and Monopoly attempts in Europe however in America they are allowed to dominate with absolute power

How come there are no YouTube competitors?
You still don't get it. Stop using YouTube. It isn't a necessity of life. It is a free service.. no one is forcing you to use it.. you aren't paying for it.. they are a private business.. they do have the choice to generate revenue from their service. Why aren't you whining about TV stations and their commercials????

You are wrong that there are no competitors:

https://www.marketing91.com/top-14-youtube-competitors/

Perhaps they have a large presence because they deliver a service that is well run and people like them... well except whiners. Why don't you try to start a competitive service, it isn't as easy as you think. It is difficult and requires infrastructure and skilled/educated employees, so they have made the investment and they deserve to commoditize from that investment.

I'm going to quote a previous poster... because you didn't seem to read it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have always supported the NN rules but you are trying to conflate one issue with another. If anything it likely will be Youtube getting throttled in favor of subscription service like Netflix that has reason to partner with the ISP. All of these services will be at risk if the ISP decides to prioritize their own service.


Since dropping these rules I'm not aware of any issues yet so we'll have to cross that bridge when we get to it. If that occurs there will be complaints filed but it will be to the FTC instead of the FCC.



Getting back to your complaints about YouTube dominating the free services market what do you propose be done about it?

Last edited by usayit; 08-24-2019 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top