U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 AM
 
740 posts, read 385,499 times
Reputation: 177

Advertisements

Looks like pop-up ads are making a strong Resurgence and YouTube / Google's crushing Monopoly have hit a new standard in spamming out user created content

Frankly in my opinion YouTube got huge by disseminating stolen property in most cases as a lot of the videos were copyrighted however suspiciously never removed in a timely manner

My smart phone just updated its YouTube app and now I'm getting 2 ads before a video and one ad after that I can't just minimize and swipe away anymore

now they have you hunting for the tiny little X and a Skip ad button

What a great hustle as now they can throw a quick product placement and guarantee to The Advertiser that you are going to look at the screen to hunt for the skip ad or little x

I wonder how many people have been killed on our nation's roadways while a flustered idiot is hunting for the skip ad or little X on the YouTube video while they're trying to navigate that Persnickety system while driving down the road

It's terribly indicative that the isp corporations were conspiring to not change the internet to quickly post-mortem net neutrality as it would be a shock to the consumer

It won't be long until we have a North Korean style internet except instead of being run by a government it's going to be run by a tiny handful of corporate Mega monsters

RIP net nutrality


https://medium.com/skycoin/net-neutr...s-3f2414f91fce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2019, 07:34 PM
 
39,824 posts, read 41,219,277 times
Reputation: 16495
Google as content provider was never regulated under the NN rules for their content services like Youtube. Those rules applied to ISP's like Comcast and Verizon and would prevent them from prioritizing traffic form one site or service over another.



FYI Google was firm supporter of Net Neutrality. The only major tech companies not supporting Net Neutrality are the ISP's like Comcast and Verizon.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post

Frankly in my opinion YouTube got huge by disseminating stolen property in most cases as a lot of the videos were copyrighted however suspiciously never removed in a timely manner

As I noted in the other topic a copyright owner could issue a takedown notice if they owned the copyright for the content. As I also noted Google as alternative would offer them a cut of the ad revenue to leave it up, that is why there is so much copyrighted material there.


As far as driving down the road and looking at your phone you should not have a license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 01:36 PM
 
740 posts, read 385,499 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Google as content provider was never regulated under the NN rules for their content services like Youtube. Those rules applied to ISP's like Comcast and Verizon and would prevent them from prioritizing traffic form one site or service over another.



FYI Google was firm supporter of Net Neutrality. The only major tech companies not supporting Net Neutrality are the ISP's like Comcast and Verizon.






As I noted in the other topic a copyright owner could issue a takedown notice if they owned the copyright for the content. As I also noted Google as alternative would offer them a cut of the ad revenue to leave it up, that is why there is so much copyrighted material there.


As far as driving down the road and looking at your phone you should not have a license.

Google has a a celibrated history of MONOPOLY practices and they are heavily advantaged by the loss of the free and fair internet

Where are all the youtube competitors??

Blocked by the ISP ...for a healthy payment from google

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/18/1...fine-antitrust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 06:39 AM
 
39,824 posts, read 41,219,277 times
Reputation: 16495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Google has a a celibrated history of MONOPOLY practices and they are heavily advantaged by the loss of the free and fair internet

The only way they can take advantage of the loss of NN is to pay the ISP to prioritize their content. That's a two way street though, the ISP could prioritize a competitors services or even their own.



To reiterate Google and most of the major tech companies like Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft etc. supported Net Neutrality. The only ones fighting to remove those rules were the ISP's like Verizon and Comcast.





Quote:
Where are all the youtube competitors??
For starters most estimates suggest Youtube operates with almost no profit or even a loss. It's pretty difficult to compete with free and I'm not sure how force them to make it profitable without significant costs to the consumer using their service or competing one. The larger issue with Google is they have their hands in everything. Most widely used search, most widely used email service, Youtube, Adsense/Adwords, most widely used web browser and the most widely used OS for phones and small devices.



Quote:
Blocked by the ISP ...for a healthy payment from google

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/18/1...fine-antitrust
The only mention I see in this article is them paying manufacturers to bundle software into the phone. MS used to do the same thing with IE until they were forced not too, they simply stopped development of IE for quite a while. Nothing prevents from using other software so I don't see either complaints with merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
3,599 posts, read 1,416,722 times
Reputation: 7544
Not only does everything you're blabbering about have nothing to do with net neutrality, but Google was a PROPONENT of NN. As were Amazon, Netflix, eBay, Vonage, and a whole host of other major bandwidth consumers. Ask yourself why that is and why you're carrying these mega-corporations' water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 09:44 PM
 
740 posts, read 385,499 times
Reputation: 177
LOL

GUYS...

everybody on earth knows that Amazon, Google and Facebook didn't WANT the ISP to become the Omni present overLords of the internet but now (thanks to trump)they (the ISP) ARE and they (big internet companies) are going to pay up in order to play ball with the new boss in town

It can be a sweet deal for them as they are mega monster corporations who pay the ISP to block filter and throttle competitors content

NOBODY WANTED net nutrality repealed except big telecom companies like VERIZON AND COMCAST

Its just like the old protection racket

nobody WANTS the mobsters in their shop but once they show up you have to play ball with them and you can bribe them to bust up your competition

Only a MORON hasent figured out that Google has a CRUSHING MONOPOLY on internet video and is spamming the hell out of youtube because of it!

You DO realize that Google paid the largest fine in world history for MONOPOLY attempts

DONT YOU??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 08:40 AM
 
39,824 posts, read 41,219,277 times
Reputation: 16495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
LOL
Only a MORON hasent figured out that Google has a CRUSHING MONOPOLY on internet video and is spamming the hell out of YouTube because of it!
Once again most estimates suggest there is little or no profit made from Youtube. What is it you would suggest they have do so other sites can compete?

Would you suggest they have to put more ads on videos to make a profit? Perhaps require them to drop the free services?

It's pretty easy to implement measures when a company is generating enormous profits from something they have monopolized. On the other hand if they are making $0 it can only result in worse service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM
 
740 posts, read 385,499 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Once again most estimates suggest there is little or no profit made from Youtube. What is it you would suggest they have do so other sites can compete?

Would you suggest they have to put more ads on videos to make a profit? Perhaps require them to drop the free services?

It's pretty easy to implement measures when a company is generating enormous profits from something they have monopolized. On the other hand if they are making $0 it can only result in worse service.

YouTube was doing just fine before Google bought them and there was some actual competition out there like dailymotion yet youtube had near zero ads

now dailymotion barely works at all and has almost nothing on it however youtube is covered with ads after it was purchased by a company that paid the largest fines in world history for MONOPOLY attempts

AND NOW...

(THANKS TO TGE DEATH OF NET NUTRALITY)

google can pay the ISP to block filter or throttle its competition

But nothings wrong, theres lots of free video sites that run well and youtube doesn't make any profit from all those ads
(cause they spend it all on BRIBES to the ISP)

...hey, if you believe that I've got a great beachfront investment opportunity in New Mexico you might be interested in!!

#corporate Kool-Aid#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 03:18 PM
 
39,824 posts, read 41,219,277 times
Reputation: 16495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
YouTube was doing just fine before Google bought them and there was some actual competition out there like dailymotion yet youtube had near zero ads
As is often the case tech start up companies are often big time losers for many years, that was the case with Youtube and is still the case today to some degree.



What do you propose to do about it that will benefit the consumer?

Quote:

But nothings wrong, theres lots of free video sites that run well and youtube doesn't make any profit from all those ads
(cause they spend it all on BRIBES to the ISP)

...hey, if you believe that I've got a great beachfront investment opportunity in New Mexico you might be interested in!!
The estimates on Youtube profits are based Google filings and experts within the industry.



You can have a go at it yourself, be the next Youtube:
Quote:

https://www.knownhost.com/dedicated-servers.html

  • 6,000 GB Data Transfer
  • on 100 Mbps Port
  • 256GB SSD + 1TB SATA Storage
  • $159.00 per month
If were to assume you were only going to serve "HD" at 6Mbps. You could store about 100 hours of video, handle up to about 16 customers at once and transfer to them about 2500 hours of video. Granted Google pays far less but it's still not cheap no matter who you are to provide a service like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 06:40 AM
 
740 posts, read 385,499 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As is often the case tech start up companies are often big time losers for many years, that was the case with Youtube and is still the case today to some degree.



What do you propose to do about it that will benefit the consumer?

The estimates on Youtube profits are based Google filings and experts within the industry.



You can have a go at it yourself, be the next Youtube:
If were to assume you were only going to serve "HD" at 6Mbps. You could store about 100 hours of video, handle up to about 16 customers at once and transfer to them about 2500 hours of video. Granted Google pays far less but it's still not cheap no matter who you are to provide a service like that.
If I were to start a YouTube competitor the ISP would simply block me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top