U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 02:04 PM

24,805 posts, read 8,711,827 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to gather info for a relative on designing a pretty simple website, no fancy people and flowers etc about a pretty hot product and want to get an idea of what a "simple" site would cost to put on the net and maintain. Anyone? And I'd like to DM on this.. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:38 PM

176 posts, read 108,100 times
For a fledgling business I recommend keeping your costs low and using a service such as a simple website builder on Go Daddy or a shop service that provides the store front and website. This keeps it as a simple per month fee and you don’t need a web developer. You can get fancier later

Old Today, 01:18 PM

14,167 posts, read 20,661,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
You can get fancier later
After you are making money.

Old Today, 01:54 PM

39,830 posts, read 41,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
For a fledgling business I recommend keeping your costs low and using a service such as a simple website builder on Go Daddy or a shop service that provides the store front and website. This keeps it as a simple per month fee and you donít need a web developer. You can get fancier later

The issue with the "website builder" services offered by these companies is they are proprietary and don't offer much flexibility. If you decide to move to another host you can't take your web site with you... You can move the content such as text or images but but it has to be done manually. You are basically starting from scratch. If you only have a handful of pages it might not be that big of a deal.

Instead you can opt to use something like Drupal which is a content management system, most hosting companies will have the option to install it in the control panel but I would avoid that. Sometimes they are out of date or the hosting company may have tweaked the install for their own needs. Instead download from Drupal's site and install it yourself. If you ever need to move everything belongs to you and can be moved easily to another host.

Drupal is a little bit more of a learning curve and it needs to be updated occasionally but it's preferable for long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or