U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM

172 posts, read 115,455 times

Advertisements

How useful is MS SQL?

Should I purchase SQL on my laptop?

Learn how to write SQL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

870 posts, read 305,247 times
What do you do? It's helpful for management/manipulation of large datasets... MSAccess maxes out at 2gigs.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

39,874 posts, read 41,336,120 times
Without a purpose the answer to all your questions is no. It's kind of like asking should I buy a plane. If you are not going to use the plane it's kind of pointless to buy it or learn how to fly it.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

39,874 posts, read 41,336,120 times
FYI there are other options for this:

https://mariadb.com/downloads/

Old Today, 10:07 AM

220 posts, read 114,412 times
SQL or rather the "language" is very useful to know if you're in the tech field. Almost every line-of-business application uses some form of database and most have similar syntax. Quite often to solve issues, deal with upgrades, etc, etc you end up under the hood running queries and jobs.

Would I "BUY" SQL for my personal device. No. You can download MSSQL express (it's got all the features you need for learning). You can also download "free" versions of Microsoft Visual Studio if you'd like to play with programming.

Someone else mentioned MS ACCESS but that's rarely used in larger operations. It's just too limited and clunky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology