U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

18 posts, read 4,056 times

Advertisements

Hi All
Today I recieved an e-mail saying that my youtube account / google account has been hacked. And that I had to click on "more details" to check my account or else it would be terminated.

I didn't click on it and went on google to research about that e-mail, it turns out that it's a popular phishing email and some people fell for it. So I immediately closed the mail and deleted it.

I rushed into my google account and changed password + I already have 2-step verification on.

But my question is;

1. can they harm me if I have opened to read the email without clicking?
2. Isn't phishing only if I give away my password and username?
3. By having 2-step on can they access my account?

4. how do I make sure they don't have access, I have changed everything from google account password to email password and I don't use the same pass.

I checked everything and it says the only two devices that is on is my macbook and iphone.

I cleared history & browser / cache on safari.

Last question;

5. I don't have a virus scanner on my macbook but aren't macbooks safe from virus and malware?

I hope you guys can help me I really hope I'm safe after changing password etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:53 AM

39,946 posts, read 41,438,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose94 View Post
1. can they harm me if I have opened to read the email without clicking?

The only real issue with opening an email is they may have a external file embedded like an image for example. This can tell them it's active email account because it requests the image from the server. It's minor issue and occurs all the time unless you have external images turned off. No information is passed to them other than knowing someone opened the email sent to that address.

Quote:
2. Isn't phishing only if I give away my password and username?
Correct, they are expecting you to click the link and a page opens that looks like it's a page from Google, your bank, Paypal or whatever. It's hosted on their server, when you submit your login details that information is sent to them. They can't obtain any information unless you give it to them.

Quote:
3. By having 2-step on can they access my account?
If you had been fooled by this phishing email it should stop them since it's unlikely they have compromised the secondary authentication.

Quote:
4. how do I make sure they don't have access, I have changed everything from google account password to email password and I don't use the same pass.
It's always good to overly cautious but opening an email has not exposed you to anything.

Quote:
5. I don't have a virus scanner on my macbook but aren't macbooks safe from virus and malware?
You should, no system is 100% secure against viruses. Macs are less prone to this for a variety of reasons. They have smaller amount of users and are less of a target to begin with. People that use Macs tend to be more technical and less likely to do something to introduce a virus into the system. There are other things like the huge amount of free software available for Win machines, this of course is a benefit for Windows users but opens the doors wider for those trying to get you to install malicious software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology