U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 05:01 PM

6,799 posts, read 3,752,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Anything I've ordered to pickup at Apple has been available as soon as I got there. Same with the couple of times I've run in for something, you can pretty much check yourself out with your phone now.

Repairs though - I miss the genius bar. Now that everyone and their brother has a phone or tablet, it's a bear to get the deep technical help they used to be known for.
Unfortunately if it’s not on the shelf you can’t self pay - you need them to fetch and then pickup at the misnamed “express checkout”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 06:28 PM

26,587 posts, read 33,610,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

I realize why I don't go to an Apple store often. Their customer experience is terrible.
That is completely different from the experience of folks that visit our local Apple store. In fact one of my friends just posted about the amazing customer service they received there.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:41 PM

11,212 posts, read 17,779,655 times
Going to the Apple store is never pleasant.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That is completely different from the experience of folks that visit our local Apple store. In fact one of my friends just posted about the amazing customer service they received there.
What were they there for? If they booked a Genius Bar appointment to help with a phone, etc. and weren’t in a hurry I’m sure it was pleasant. When looking at watch bands the guy who helped me was amazing. It was the checkout process and lack of consideration of the value of my time that was broken.

Given the lines they should have had someone else help.

Given the nature of the “express checkout” they should have guided people with more detailed questions elsewhere or had someone else help.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:51 PM

26,587 posts, read 33,610,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
What were they there for? If they booked a Genius Bar appointment to help with a phone, etc. and weren’t in a hurry I’m sure it was pleasant. When looking at watch bands the guy who helped me was amazing. It was the checkout process and lack of consideration of the value of my time that was broken.

Given the lines they should have had someone else help.

Given the nature of the “express checkout” they should have guided people with more detailed questions elsewhere or had someone else help.
I have had appointments with the Genius bar twice. Both times the service was excellent and the wait was very short. Our store here is always packed - but they have the staff to handle it.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I have had appointments with the Genius bar twice. Both times the service was excellent and the wait was very short. Our store here is always packed - but they have the staff to handle it.
Yours must be better run then. The 2 times I had an appointment (set days in advance) I had to wait at least 10 minutes after the set appointment time.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a major deal, but it is an annoyance. The message it gives is that the Apple experience is more important than the customer experience.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:54 AM

2,083 posts, read 693,052 times
Every time we have visited either of the closest Apple stores to us, they have been swamped. We were at one yesterday for a short, free course, Monday, mid day, 1:00-2:00. There was a line out front waiting to get in when we arrived (45 minutes early) and throughout the time we were there until we left. It is what it is.

On the other hand, we have an excellent Mac only retailer near us who is available on short notice, knowledgeable and helpful and that is where we do almost all of our Apple business.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:06 AM

4,501 posts, read 8,135,760 times
I had to bring my MBP in for the battery recall program. I wasn't impressed at all. Now - I will say that I hate having to wait in general. This is why I DIY a lot of stuff - so I don't have to wait.

Had an appoint to bring the MBP in for the battery recall. When that is the case, I'm expecting to be helped within a few minutes. Afterall, that is what an appointment are for - no?

I get there - there is zero guidance on how things work. You have a bunch of people in the front and the genius bar in the back. Since there isn't anyone to greet me, I naturally go to the back since it was a genius bar appt. Everyone is helping someone and there is a sort of line on one side. So I wait. the line doesn't really move.

After about 5 min, I finally butted into a conversation - apologized and asked what the protocol is. The guy points to a dude in the front and had me go talk to him. This front guy then checks me in and tells me to go back to the bar area and someone will be with me shortly. 10 min. later, someone comes out to help me.

The guy who assisted me was great. But that was 15 min of waiting for 2 min of dropping my laptop off.

When I went back to pick up the laptop, I knew to just grab/wait for one of the associates in the front. The process was a bit smoother then. It only took like 5 min.

In any other place, someone would have greeted you and given you some instructions.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:17 PM

14,253 posts, read 16,397,420 times
Quote:
Well, that's what Apple does well. If you need to go to the Genius bar to be taught how to use the device, Apple is really the only game in town. Microsoft tries with their Surface products but they're not on Apple's level. Samsung or HP you can call tech support and sit on phone and get someone in India who can barely speak English to talk down to you for not being tech savvy but that's about all you're going to get.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

3,889 posts, read 2,314,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
In any other place, someone would have greeted you and given you some instructions.
I've tried to go right to the back and been stopped by the greeter to see what I wanted. Maybe they were in the bathroom the first day you went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology