Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 02:58 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,290,301 times

Advertisements

I like to be able to describe Hawking's achievements in one or two sentences... if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 03:10 AM

1,456 posts, read 513,369 times
His best known achievement, and something that is studied to this day, was Hawking radiation or black hole evaporation. I only have very crude understanding of it so take this with a sizable pinch of salt.

It starts with the empty space, which isn't really empty because periodically there "pop" into existence virtual particles. Virtual particles are a pair of a particle and it's opposite (antiparticle) particle that could potentially take on any regular particle characteristic. These don't exist for long as they simply annihilate one another other. But if they "popped" into existence so that one particle was just outside of the event horizon of a black hole and its antiparticle just ever so slightly on the inside of the horizon the particle on the inside of the horizon would have a negative energy and fall into the black hole. The one on the outside would radiate away from the black hole with the positive energy which balances out the whole thing. This last particle is what's known as quantum of Hawking radiation.

The reason Hawking radiation is also called black hole evaporation is because the particle that falls into the black hole with the negative energy has an overall effect of decreasing energy of a black hole and consequently its mass.

Although this is a very crude explanation and, as far as I know, Hawking radiation has not been observed in real life, it is based on solid physics and there is little to no doubt of its existence. Similar effect to Hawking radiation has been observed in laboratory settings where analogue black holes have been created. There was an article earlier this year about a sonic analogue of a black hole created in a lab that was said to have produced Hawking radiation.

A thing that fascinates me about Hawking radiation is that it appears to suggest that the transformation of a virtual particle into a particle with real physical properties radiating away from the black hole would destroy information about its original quantum state violating the Liouville's theorem, which states that "the phase-space distribution function is constant along the trajectories of the system." There are some hypotheses as to how this information loss paradox can be solved, including Leonard Susskind and Gerard 't Hooft's holographic principle but the one I find most intriguing is the explanation that in fact requires information to be lost, proposed by Roger Penrose in a form of conformal cyclic cosmology (CCC) model aimed at explaining the Big Bang.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:44 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,251,320 times
That's all very interesting, but I began to have anxiety as I read the last post. �� What do it mean?

Old 09-30-2019, 02:45 PM

15,762 posts, read 6,475,580 times
It means black holes emit radiation, something they were thought not to do.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,577,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
That's all very interesting, but I began to have anxiety as I read the last post. �� What do it mean?

The last thing you need to worry about is a black hole.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It means black holes emit radiation, something they were thought not to do.
Oh. Thank you.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
The last thing you need to worry about is a black hole.
LOL, thank you too!

Old 11-16-2019, 02:58 PM

1,350 posts, read 779,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I like to be able to describe Hawking's achievements in one or two sentences... if possible.
Sorry, the E = mc2 formula was known before Einstein.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 PM

15,762 posts, read 6,475,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Sorry, the E = mc2 formula was known before Einstein.
Interesting claim, since the formula is derived from special relativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology