U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,221,255 times
Default big bang query

is there any way that the big bang could have been produced by fission rather than fusion, and that the fusion that we see nowadays is just the coalescing of the same separated matter?

my knowledge of the energy released in fission is very limited, but i am curious nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 AM

245 posts, read 420,577 times
hmmmmm how to explain this,,, well to be brief no, if it had there would not be so many different elements, and while all elements can react to fusion not all can react to fission. Don't know how much that helps, but I simply cant explain further without going into what fission is and most probaly confusing us both

Old 04-24-2008, 06:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,221,255 times
i have a pretty good understanding of fission. i was just wondering if it were possible on any level. fusion still makes more sense to me, but i wanted to explore the idea.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM

245 posts, read 420,577 times
yaknow, thinking about it I supose it is posible only it wouldn't have been created by fision, but destoyed by it and the matter we see today is simply the universe trying unsuccesfully trying to put itself right

Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 AM

270 posts, read 839,011 times
The Big Bang was caused/fueled by neither fission nor fusion. Entirely different forces and processes involved.

Nucleons themselves didn't form until about 3 minutes after the initial event. Before then the radiation environment was hard enough to photodisintegrate things as mundane as protons and neutrons. Once things expanded and cooled, nucleons could survive, and once that started, some of them fused to make heavier elements. Not many of those, though. Trying to build up heavy nuclei just by slamming pairs of them together doesn't work when the mass 5 nucleus disintegrates as fast as it can figure out what it is and the mass 8 nucleus is also unstable and disintegrates back to two alpha particles. And, the whole thing cooling and expanding, and very quickly nothing has the energy to overcome the electrostatic repulsive forces deeply enough for the strong force to take over and bind nuclei together. So you end up with mostly hydrogen, nearly all the rest helium, a trace of lithium, and an even smaller trace of beryllium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology