Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 PM

304 posts, read 396,116 times

Advertisements

Hi Group,

One month ago, two days before a Northern Multi-State Spectrum [Cable TV/etc] Outage, my four year old, perfectly working TV got Fried.

I had Spectrum send Techs out to check why my TV had no picture.
They did all of their checking of the wires, connections, signal strength from inside the house, then went outside, across the street to the utility pole.

They went up and checked voltages and determined that there was 4.8 AMPS (!) of power going through the Coaxial Cable.

They called this into their Supervisor, who said that it was Unsafe and not to proceed anymore until Central Maine Power came to fix the issue.
- This was corrected the next day.

So Spectrum came back to check everything inside my house, and said that I now had good signal.

But, we were unable to get my four year old 43" Vizio TV to power up.

Both Techs determined that the excess amperage PROBABLY Fried my TV.

I am retired, live on Social Security and cannot really afford a new TV now!
- Not to mention that I did nothing wrong here!!!

NOW - my question is Can I put in a Claim to my power company for them frying my TV?

Do I have a 'Leg to Stand On Here' or what???

* Please note, this excessive Amperage of almost 5 Amps was coming through THE COAXIAL TV CABLE and N-O-T the A/C power line, for which I use TWO surge suppressors plugged in serial for extra protection!

What (if anything...) can I do here folks!

Any/all help or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all,

Irv in Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 10:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,205,387 times
Get something in writing from your cable company and go to your power company to make a claim.

There is no way AC power should be going through a coaxial cable. This doesn’t even make sense.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:31 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,282,690 times
Somewhere, someone (not you) made a wrong connection and connected your coaxial cable to power. I would be surprised if your service contract doesn't limit damage to your equipment, but on the other hand they may want to just pay for your TV to prevent a more involved hassle.

Last edited by turf3; 03-08-2020 at 05:45 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 05:53 PM

304 posts, read 396,116 times
Default What Department in my power company should I contact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Get something in writing from your cable company and go to your power company to make a claim.

There is no way AC power should be going through a coaxial cable. This doesn’t even make sense.

Hi Markjames68,

Yes, I will do that!

When I contact my Power Company what Department should I contact, that might handle a claim?

Thanks!

Irv in Maine

Old 03-11-2020, 11:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,205,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2MEwoodnutt View Post
Hi Markjames68,

Yes, I will do that!

When I contact my Power Company what Department should I contact, that might handle a claim?

Thanks!

Irv in Maine
First, talk to someone at your cable company who can provide evidence - photos, a write up, whatever, that shows the screw up.

Then call your power company main number, state that they caused damage and ask who to speak to. Every company is different.

But there’s no point in calling them until you have documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology