Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 17,248 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how many layers in a dollar bill and can they be split from the front to back? I know all about the makeup just can't find anything but a video on youtube showing a man splitting a dollar bill. I tried several times the same process and it didn't work for me. thanks in advance! https://youtu.be/XjkqXGYtmc4 he made it look to easy! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 01:00 AM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Here you can find out how a $1 is made:
https://www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/...llar-bill-made

Other than that, I absolutely have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:15 AM

Default Can a dollar bill be split in half?

Thanks for your reply. My question is can the bill be split in half leaving the front sheet and the back sheet? So you have 2 pcs. The link you shared had no info on the number of layers of paper in making a bill. Just that they are put on a press and stamped! I searched the web and could not find anything suggesting how many layers of paper are used. I found one video on you tube but tried the process and it didn't work for me. Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 04-21-2020, 01:34 AM

OK, now I am curious. Why you need to know how many layers of paper are there??
Planning on a new hobby?

BTW: the dollar bill isn't made of plain paper. It's composed of 25% linen and 75% cotton. The paper has no wood fiber at all. Red and blue synthetic fibers are distributed throughout the paper. I read somewhere that its made out of scraps of denim. Yes, jeans like denim.
The exact process is most likely classified information.

More info here:
https://www.enchantedlearning.com/math/money/bills/one/

Old 04-21-2020, 01:47 AM

OK, I get it.
So, according to the video (which is fake) you can separate a "real" dollar bill into two separate sheets that have been glued together. As a result, you will have one sheet with the face and one sheet with the back of the bill.

He says that's how scammers split a dollar bill in two. Lol.
I mean, even a 5-year-old can see that's not a real bill. Just two sheets of printer paper, a dollar bill printed on a color printer, and glued front to back together.

Nice scam, but that's not a real dollar bill. The guy on the video printed and put two dollar bills together just for fun...

You can't possibly think that American money is made from two paper sheets glued together, right?
Please say that you were joking...

Last edited by elnina; 04-21-2020 at 02:13 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 02:40 PM

Thanks friend for your response! And please work on your attitude & insults ! I asked a sensible question because there is no info on those sites! Like I first asked! Are the bills printed on one layer of paper! You continued to post sites I looked at already which did not address my question if you had read it the first time I already looked at those sites! But I'm not here to argue! I think my question was a sensible question and deserved to get a intelligent answer so I will still wait! I was able to split a bill about a tenth of the way according to his instructions but it got thinned out and eventually ripped! I'm not convinced it can't be done and maybe his video is leaving out the process of timing during the soaking process! I just didn't pursue with another bill until I posted my question for the forum's advise or knowledge! Please work on the attitude and I no longer need your advice or input. Quote: Even a 5 yr old can tell it's fake? It looks real to me! But I won't insult your intelligence! But look forward to hearing others opinion on that also! I will read others information on this subject if they have ever had success at doing this and their process! Thanks again, I hope you have a better day than yesterday! lol

Old 04-21-2020, 02:49 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,153,045 times
Welll, sure, you can split any sheet material into two sheets of half thickness; it's called "skiving". You need a really really sharp and accurate knife with a dead straight edge and a really really accurate roller without any crown or hourglassing or runout; the distance from the knife edge to the roller is set with a micrometer adjustment, and the sheet material is fed over the roller and across the knife.

Something like a thin tough paper (hmm, wonder what that could be) is going to be wicked hard to skive to half thickness without tearing one or the other parts.

As far as I know there is one layer of paper in a dollar bill, but since there are fibers and other identifiers buried in the paper, it's possible that early on in the paper making process there are two layers that get laminated to each other. Keeping them from separating in the field (and I have been handling US paper money for 50+ years and have never, not once, seen any kind of layer separation) would probably rely on getting the fibers of two layers sufficiently tangled together that they can't be separated.

If you are curious I'd go to the website of the Bureau of Printing and Engraving where they will provide all the information that's going to be provided. Anything the government isn't willing to tell you about making paper money, isn't going to be told, because it's kept secret. In fact, even researching too much about the paper composition of US currency could bring you to the attention of the Secret Service, whose job it is to track down counterfeiters.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:50 PM

4,485 posts, read 3,883,771 times
In regards to "paper", I believe that bills are actually printed on "cloth". Hence, I'm not sure if there are layers or not. Good luck with your project.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:49 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,153,045 times
Nope, they are printed on a high grade of rag paper. The fibers come from cotton and linen rather than wood, but the fibers are not spun nor woven. The definition of paper does not depend on the original source of the fibers.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:47 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,337,401 times
OP, I doubt the paper used to make dollar bills is made up of layers. That would serve no purpose and would only weaken the paper. Have you ever accidentally sent a bill through the laundry? If a dollar could be split, when it came out of the dryer the corners would be coming apart. Yet that doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology