U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,413,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
I'll see if I can locate the book where I read that analogy. And we shouldn't feel bad for not quite grasping quantum theory, because if Feynman said nobody understood it, what, us worry?
Yeah, I'm coping with not understanding it. Who was it that said "If you think you understand quantum physics you DON'T understand quantum physics at all!"???

That's the line I use to cope with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM

68 posts, read 210,634 times
I think the actual quote was "If you are not surprised by the implications of quantum mechanics then you have not understood it"

A great quote that I like by Feynman is "The paradox is between what the answer is and what you think the answer should be"

In quantum mechanics every particle has an intrinsic spin that has no classical analogue. If a particle with spin 0 splits into two particles than a conservation law sates that the spin of the two particles must sum to 0.
It has been shown that classical mechanics can not account for the correlations that appear between the two particles.

Technically, yes one SHOULD be able to theoretically use this principle
to communicate over long distances. This is in fact the basis for Quantum information theory and quantum computing.

There are many obstacles to overcome however. Not least of which is the presumption that all this theory is only valid when the two particle system is isolated from the rest of its' environment. This presumption is implicit in classical mechanics and standard quantum mechanics. It is also pretty well accepted that this presumption needs to be modified in order to REALLY do quantum mechanics.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 AM

428 posts, read 1,524,449 times
Ahem, here is the Feynman quote I was referring to:

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands Quantum Mechanics." (Feynman did not include the smilie.)

Teresa

Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 AM

18,760 posts, read 55,897,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
Ahem, here is the Feynman quote I was referring to:

"I think I can safely say that nobody understands Quantum Mechanics." (Feynman did not include the smilie.)

Teresa
Heck, I have problems understanding Popular Mechanics.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:00 AM

68 posts, read 210,634 times
There are actually two quotes here, the Feynman quote "I think I can safely say that no one understands Quantum mechanics" in contrast to General relativity where 12 people understood it, and Bohr's quote "If you are not surprised by quantum mechanics then you have not understood it" in contrast to the quote someone else mentioned "If you think you have understood quantum mechanics then you haven't really understood quantum mechanics".

Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM

270 posts, read 1,154,015 times
There is also the complication that those people who understand quantum mechanics are not understandable.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,351,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I think this is QM

i remember reading somewhere that you can separate electrons from an atom, or something, and move it away, and they continue to spin at the same rate and direction.

if this is true, couldn't it be used for communication over very long distances? perhaps interstellar?

thanks!
From my years as a nuclear engineer, I'd say no. The electron that orbits a nucleus will be in a particular shell and energy level. If you knock it loose and it attaches itself to another nucleus, it will/could be in a different shell and have a different energy level.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,535,617 times
Will the QC kill the PC? - Telegraph

• Quantum computers could also take advantage of another quantum property, teleportation. Teleportation allows information about one particle to be transmitted to another particle some distance away. A quantum computer could use teleportation instead of wires to move bits around inside itself.

this right here is what i was referring to.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:27 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,535,617 times
» 5 Scientific Theories That Will Make Your Head Explode | Cracked.com

called quantum entanglement. seems cool!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,583,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

Quantum entanglement and wave function collapse makes my head asplode
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology