Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 10:27 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Show me a utility scale PV site on existing surfaces. Don't want this to become a PV debate, but $.03 seems to still be a viable number on Utility Scale ... but https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/su...s%20calculated.
A+ I do not so much see this a Solar v. (whatever).

I see this as Small Scale v. Corporate Utility LARGE Scale.

THAT is the point of (pending?) Death of the Central Plant model.

No one is likely to have a home based Mr. Fusion -- but MILLIONS -- on the way to Hundreds of Millions -- of folks can and are getting local Solar PV -- BEHIND the meter. That means ZERO Cash Flow to the Central Plant.

Which is why the market for 1 Centavo Mr. Fusion may be dead before Mr. Fusion hits the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 10:50 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
A+ I do not so much see this a Solar v. (whatever).

I see this as Small Scale v. Corporate Utility LARGE Scale.

THAT is the point of (pending?) Death of the Central Plant model.

No one is likely to have a home based Mr. Fusion -- but MILLIONS -- on the way to Hundreds of Millions -- of folks can and are getting local Solar PV -- BEHIND the meter. That means ZERO Cash Flow to the Central Plant.

Which is why the market for 1 Centavo Mr. Fusion may be dead before Mr. Fusion hits the market.
The prices you quote only apply to Utility Scale projects. $.03 is still correct pricing. Residential/commercial is way more expensive.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
The prices you quote only apply to Utility Scale projects. $.03 is still correct pricing. Residential/commercial is way more expensive.
Trend lines. All downward. Nothing stays static. It is 2021.

We are now doing SMALL design and builds (10 kW) for $1 per Watt.

Where do you think this is going to lead to?

Old 11-09-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Trend lines. All downward. Nothing stays static. It is 2021.

We are now doing SMALL design and builds (10 kW) for $1 per Watt.

Where do you think this is going to lead to?
I look at solar as a waste of open spaces. I believe in solar, but not how the media and climate activists see it. It has EXTREMELY limited potential with current technology. That may change and then my opinion would require review.

I am however a big supporter of tidal power, but again... I digress.

However... I'm a ENTHUSIASTIC supporter of FUSION.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I look at solar as a waste of open spaces. I believe in solar, but not how the media and climate activists see it. It has EXTREMELY limited potential with current technology. That may change and then my opinion would require review.

I am however a big supporter of tidal power, but again... I digress.

However... I'm a ENTHUSIASTIC supporter of FUSION.
Funny. Doing some tidal / wave projects, now.

But here is my real question on this (or any other Central Plant Model) -- once most folks have Distributed Renewable -- who will be the customer(s) for the Central Plant(s)?

Old 11-09-2021, 12:28 PM

Good video, a bit long for the impatient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KEwkWjADEA

Old 11-09-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:

But here is my real question on this (or any other Central Plant Model) -- once most folks have Distributed Renewable -- who will be the customer(s) for the Central Plant(s)?
Managing cycles and vars become a greater issue with variable power sources. That's just a reality. I prefer to deal with large commercial customers who can manage their own reactive compensation and voltage control.

I think we're getting off track a bit.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:50 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times
Quote:

You're likely correct on the issue as it relates to the residential consumer, but industrial uses are different.
A large data center uses the electricity equivalent of 80,000 homes. They run 24/7 so I don't think solar alone or renewables alone is the current solution there. Maybe when solar/wind/wave, etc. can be integrated.

Amazon alone, between Amazon retail and Amazon Web Services, has 50 data centers in just three counties in Northern Virginia, where data center land now tops $2M per acre. Two years ago Microsoft paid $90M for 66 acres, and that land rush is starting to bleed over into Md. Not all land is suitable. See this:

https://datacenterfrontier.com/quant...s-in-maryland/

Gotta love the name of the company: Quantum Loophole.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
You're likely correct on the issue as it relates to the residential consumer, but industrial uses are different.
A large data center uses the electricity equivalent of 80,000 homes. They run 24/7 so I don't think solar alone or renewables alone is the current solution there. Maybe when solar/wind/wave, etc. can be integrated.

Amazon alone, between Amazon retail and Amazon Web Services, has 50 data centers in just three counties in Northern Virginia, where data center land now tops $2M per acre. Two years ago Microsoft paid $90M for 66 acres, and that land rush is starting to bleed over into Md. Not all land is suitable. See this:

Reactive loads present significant issues for solar especially if it's a radial feed. Resistive loads are rarely an issue. Even municipal utilities rarely use reactors or capacitors and will suck the vars out of a larger system. Meeting power factor requirements is a regulated component of service. .85%

Old 11-09-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post

Well, "homes" is rather a nonsense measure of Energy or Power, but let's work with what you have?

Your site shown -- 2100 Acres. at 43560 square feet per acre = 91476000 square feet.

20 Watts per square foot is typical current Solar PV.

91476000 square feet at 20 watts per square feet = 1.83E9 Watts. No extra land -- just over this site alone.

At Daytime Production, this site alone could replace 2 entire Nuke Reactors, with just simple Solar PV, ZERO additional land use.

----------------------------------

Meanwhile US Data Centers TOTAL use about about 2% of total Electricity Use. We lose more than that, just shipping electricity around. This is just silly. But not uncommon. Sort of strange about this industry, how few folks understand, but how many think they do.

See for yourself -- https://www.energy.gov/eere/building...rs-and-servers

======================================
Data centers are one of the most energy-intensive building types, consuming 10 to 50 times the energy per floor space of a typical commercial office building. Collectively, these spaces account for approximately 2% of the total U.S. electricity use.
======================================
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology