Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 02:06 PM

764 posts, read 508,409 times

Advertisements

Hello,
You know for home appliance like rice cookie, it's electricity driven, so, if I want to change post source from electricity to battery, how would go for the circuit?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 05:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Electricity is electric regardless of the source. It is moot, whether it is battery or line power. An easy way to make an appliance work with a battery would be an inverter. The battery will need to have sufficient charge to handle the time the device was used. Your battery and inverter would need to be sufficient for the task at hand.

Then you will need to figure out a way to charge the battery again. Whether a battery charger, or solar charger. That would be the easiest to do instead of re-engineering an appliance. When you no longer need battery power, unplug it from the inverter and into the wall outlet.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:17 PM

Got it, thank you.

Old 11-19-2021, 03:47 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
Hello,
You know for home appliance like rice cookie, it's electricity driven, so, if I want to change post source from electricity to battery, how would go for the circuit?
Thanks
SD4020 is correct. A battery stores DC power, while the rice cooker uses 115- volts AC electrical power.

It means that you cannot operate the 115-volt AC rice cooker connected to a battery. However, an inverter can be connected to a battery (s), to convert the battery's DC power to 115-volts AC. The problem is that unless you can maintain the battery charged, it would soon be discharged by the rice cooker connected to the inverter. Consider a battery as being a 5-gallon bucket full of water. If you have 5 buckets full of water, you can power the rice cooker through the inverter 5 times longer.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:29 PM

@SD4020 and @RayinAK, say, you want to go for a several week camping in some remote mountain where electricity is not readily available. This battery and inverter solution would solve the rice cooker problem, say, I like to eat rice on regular basis.

Now, I may need water hot, and if it's winter, I may need to heat up blanket etc. as well. Let's continue to assume I have plenty of battery with me, would the following schema work? A 5 v battery connecting to some steel rod, making the rod super hot, and the rod extends into a container of water through a hole. And for safety precaution, the container is covered to prevent electrocution while the water is being heated ( it needs to reach 212F degree, boiling point ). Doable? Also, safety is extremely important.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:06 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
In case where I would be camping some place remote I would go with solar panels and batteries and a controller. Not sure if it's a backpacking trip or what. In that case that would get heavy in a hurry. If you had to pack in some where I would learn another method of cooking rice.

I would think a gas stove with a pot would be better way. Albeit a more hands on way of cooking rice. I cook rice on a regular basis and either bake it in the oven or, most often, use a pot on the stove. I like jasmine rise the best, it cooks faster and I like it.

The 5 volt battery and steel rods would be a dangerous and non sustainable method of heating. A 5 volt battery would drain out in a hurry. Also, a rod hooked to a battery and dropped in the water would be an equivalent to a toaster in a bathtub. In the winter situation a white gas or propane heater would be much safer means of heating. Just use the electricity for things like electronics like phones or computers.

Also I would have a secondary way of creating fire as a back up in case things go awry.

Old 11-21-2021, 06:04 AM

@SD4020, thank you for your informative response.
Heat water to hot or evening boiling temperature is very desirable.
Instead of steal rod, how about nichrome wire? And it shouldn't take forever to heat up the water.

Old 11-21-2021, 01:18 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Quote:
@SD4020, thank you for your informative response.
Heat water to hot or evening boiling temperature is very desirable.
Instead of steal rod, how about nichrome wire? And it shouldn't take forever to heat up the water.
Inside the steel rod heater, is usually Nichrome wire... encased in sand then inside the steel tube (which looks like a rod).

To heat water, you need at least 300 watts of power. Some commercially produced ones can go up to 1500 watts...

If you only have the car battery power you could connect directly to your battery, but not advised. It takes a while to heat up a cup of water.
So you need an inverter which then changes the power to 120 AC.
You still need 300 watts, regardless of any other hocus pocus...
The inverter should be rated at least 1.5 times the wattage you need.

A simpler method, advised by some other posters is still the portable camping stove, powered by bottled gas canisters. Just make sure if you are inside a car, that you do not disturb the burner and have plenty of ventilation!

Google for this one:
Gas ONE GS-1000 7,650 BTU Portable Butane Gas Stove Automatic Ignition with Carrying Case, CSA Listed

It is flat and not easily movable once set up properly. It uses standard bottles available anywhere!
7500 BTU (in heat) is a bit more than 2000 watts of power.
(one (1) watthour is approximately equivalent to 3.4 BTU)
If you remember your Thermodynamics classes in College, then do you remember that one BTU will raise the temperature of one pound of water about one degree F? But it will take a very long time depending on the surroundings...

When you use a butane heater, heat up water to boiling point.
Then reduce the heat where you can see the water still boiling (producing bubbles of air).
That is the setting you only need to boil water. Any higher setting is a waste of butane.

Last edited by irman; 11-21-2021 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-21-2021, 02:08 PM

4,518 posts, read 2,664,836 times
Quote:
@SD4020 and @RayinAK, say, you want to go for a several week camping in some remote mountain where electricity is not readily available. This battery and inverter solution would solve the rice cooker problem, say, I like to eat rice on regular basis.

Now, I may need water hot, and if it's winter, I may need to heat up blanket etc. as well. Let's continue to assume I have plenty of battery with me, would the following schema work? A 5 v battery connecting to some steel rod, making the rod super hot, and the rod extends into a container of water through a hole. And for safety precaution, the container is covered to prevent electrocution while the water is being heated ( it needs to reach 212F degree, boiling point ). Doable? Also, safety is extremely important.

Thanks.
Just use a camp stove! They come in a wide variety of formats. If weight isn't a consideration (and if you're contemplating re-inventing the wheel with all these solar panels and home-made immersion heaters and the like, it must not be) the traditional Coleman stove gives you two burners that get hot RIGHT NOW and the gas supply will last a long long time. If you actually figure out what all this klugey stuff weighs, a backpacking stove weighs maybe a pound, plus another couple pounds for the fuel, and typically gives you one burner.

And of course if it's permitted where you are camping, build a fire with fallen wood.

Have you ever gone camping before? You probably want to go to a camping store - REI, Bass Pro Shop, Cabela, etc. and ask someone for advice. Making all this stuff up on your own when it's all been solved for generations seems like a way to spend a lot of time and effort to end up with poor results.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:11 PM

4,518 posts, read 2,664,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
...A simpler method, advised by some other posters is still the portable camping stove, powered by bottled gas canisters. Just make sure if you are inside a car, that you do not disturb the burner and have plenty of ventilation!...

Oy!!!

OP, you MUST NOT!!!! Operate any combustion device in a car, or inside a tent!!!

Repeat! Do NOT use a camp stove, backpacking stove, charcoal grill, or anything that relies on any kind of flame, burner, or fire-like activity, inside a closed space. Not even for a few seconds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology