Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far will you comfortably allow robots into your life?
House Cleaners (vacuum, mop, dust...) 7 38.89%
Meal Preparers (cooking, shopping, ...) 3 16.67%
Entertianment (music, news, games...) 2 11.11%
Education (K-12 grade, college...) 1 5.56%
Personal Companion (friend, friend with benefits....) 1 5.56%
Laborer (yard work, construction, ...) 6 33.33%
All the above 2 11.11%
None of the above 9 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 01:27 PM

858 posts, read 670,253 times

Advertisements

In the next 10 years household robots will be a common reality.
When that happens, how far will you comfortably allow robots into your life?

And why?
(Multiple Choice)

Last edited by TexasRoadkill; 07-06-2022 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 04:29 PM

4,336 posts, read 3,540,489 times
It's still too early to tell. I'm not against new ideas, but we first need to see how things are going to play out.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times
I love watching Battlebots, but only like robots for fighting each other and manufacturing, not in the home. I'd rather vacuum the house myself or hire a maid, and mow with my riding mower than get a robot vacuum or mower. I don't foresee any affordable robots in the next 20 years that will do household chores like cooking, laundry, or yard work. Those produced in the next decade will most likely be used for farming and the hospitality industry to replace humans that will no longer do that work.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:22 AM

15,035 posts, read 9,999,782 times
Yeh...I voted for housekeeping and laborer. Two things that I wish I had time for. All the rest I'd rather do myself.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:32 AM

3,548 posts, read 1,534,066 times
My guess is when they become available most people will own a robot that can do various tedious jobs especially around the house we don't like to do, like cleaning the bathroom, etc.

Some people don't mind cleaning and organizing. But some hate doing that and a robot is ideal for that.

One robot will be able to do many tasks, not just one task. That's why people will want one. The mechanical looking type will be the most affordable. These will not talk, just do tasks.

The next affordable robot will have AI intelligence and you can talk to it. But it will still look mechanical.

The most expensive will be the AI human looking type robot. These will be very smart, do almost any task, and look as real as a human. It would not make sense to purchase this type just do a chores. Instead they will replace humans when needed.

For example the super intelligent human like AI robot may take the role of nurse, teacher, or social worker. Society needs more of these type workers.

Some people are hesitant to seek the services of a therapist/counselor, out of shame or embarrassment. These people may be ok talking to a human like AI robot instead. These human like robots will be non-judgmental and offer empathy, emotional comfort, and expert advice and guidance.

Robots will offer expert physical and massage therapy.

And think of this. A human like AI robot can take any role, even as a substitute parent. In some cases when a parent dies there is no one to replace that parent for the child. Would it not be better for a baby or child that lost a parent to be raised by a human-like parent robot then no parent at all? A replacement parent robot can be ordered to even look and act like the human parent that died. And even be a better parent then the one that died (in some cases).

Some children are abused by their parents. These children may be moved into foster care, which is much better for the child, to be in a loving family. But many are abused in foster care as well. A human like AI robot would never abuse a child. It would be more ethical to have a child raised by a caring and loving robot, then an abusive parent or care taker.

Last edited by james112; 07-11-2022 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-12-2022, 04:56 PM

651 posts, read 405,256 times
There are way too many variables for me to participate in the survey honestly. But I'll share some thoughts.
Where is the processing being done? Onboard the robot? Or is it connecting out to a master server?
Does the robot include anti-features, anti-tampering, DRM, subscriptions and just generally try to control what you can and cannot do with it?
To what degree of involvement are we talking about? Will it be required? Will people shame you for not having one?

Most consumer robotics in 2032 will probably look a whole lot more like Aibo, the subscription hostage robot designed and sold by psychopathic rent-seekers.

For robots to interact with an environment, they must map (or at least sense) their environment. So whole scans of your home will probably be sent back to some master server (because why do things locally when there's MONEY to be made?!) and datamined. Will they be equipped with natural language processing and intelligent response, on-board with no network connectivity required? Not if the query and language processing has to rely on remote servers. And at first, the robot might be your personal caretaker. But give it enough time, and law enforcement will surely see the utility in turning home robots into agent Smith whenever it's convenient. I hope you're all caught up on your taxes, criminal!

"But, bird yeller!" I can hear you say "that's sounds like pure lunacy!". It is. Allowing the tech that takes up such an intimate and trusting place in your life to be black boxed, proprietary, non-user controlled in design is just asking for trouble. "Surely, nobody will accept this." Just look at what people are willing to tolerate today. Most people already carry Stalin's dream around in their pockets.

Just like with computers today, if you want a robot that's going to respect you, you're going to have to DIY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology