Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 06:23 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,907,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
There are charts that indicate at your location when the sun "souths." I think it's called "local noon." On DST local noon at my house is 1:40 PM - about 12:45 or so on standard time. It varies over the year.
With my Kepler Astrology software I can calculate PRECISLEY when the Sun is at the Zenith ( Midheaven ) in any location, on any given day of the year. At that moment in time, the SUN is positioned in the true South ( shadows cast by a plumb pole in the ground are pointing true north ). Yesterday ( 2/14 ) it occurred at 12:22PM in my town.

The charts you mention above are probably calculated with the same, or a similar algorithm used in astrology software.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-15-2023 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 08:15 PM
Status: "World is turned upside down," apologies to British song" (set 20 days ago)

34,229 posts, read 16,393,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
If I install a pole in the ground, and make sure it's plumb, then find the time of the day when the transiting Sun is passing over the local Midheaven, will the shadow of the pole be pointing True North at that time of the day ???
Magnetic north or geographic north?

Old 02-16-2023, 06:50 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,520,475 times
Back in the day, every Boy Scout knew that you could push a stick into the ground and put a pebble or wooden peg on the tip of the shadow. Wait an hour and put a pebble or wooden peg on the tip of the shadow. The line between the two pebbles is the true east west line.

Your watch and daylight time have nothing to do with it. Maine guides like this "trick". Maine guides know all kinds of woodslore.

The Phoenisians were great navigators. Christopher Columbus came from a wealthy Italian family. They had lots of maps. Old Chris had maps with him. He never set foot in North America. He did find a good source of fresh water to fill his barrels in Haiti. The Vikings had maps that went all the way from the St Lawrence River to the Amazon River.

Viet Nam is so close to the equator, that the length of days does not change. Sun rises in the east and goes down in the west year round. Since the earth is tilted 23 degrees from the sun, at noon in December and noon in June, the sun is 23 degrees different, but it still rises in the same place every day.

By the way, Viet Nam is two words. Look at their currency. They know how to spell their country. Walter Cronkite changed the spelling of Viet Nam while typing on his old Underwood typewriter in Viet Nam.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 02-16-2023 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-16-2023, 07:31 AM

10,046 posts, read 4,023,945 times
I know I am a rube at this, I only know compass nav as far as required to get my rating...but are we using the right word?

Quote:
Astrology is a range of divinatory practices, recognized as pseudoscientific since the 18th century, that claim to discern information about human affairs and terrestrial events by studying the apparent positions of celestial objects
and tempered with:
Quote:
Astronomy is the study of the universe and its contents outside of Earth's atmosphere. Astronomers examine the positions, motions, and properties of celestial objects. Astrology attempts to study how those positions, motions, and properties affect people and events on Earth.
I know some posts state that some dude wrote a book or some code using this name, but that is no guarantee they used the right word EITHER.

At any rate, what is your sign?

Old 02-16-2023, 07:42 AM

10,046 posts, read 4,023,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
By the way, Viet Nam is two words. Look at their currency.

actually it depends on what language you are talking/writing in...

IF you are talking in english, which we are, you spell it Vietnam, but if you are Vietnamese you spell it "Cộng hòa xã hội chủ nghĩa Việt Nam" (because not only do they know how to spell it, they know the whole name I guess) For a local to call it JUST Viet Nam would be like us calling where we live 'United' or 'States' or 'of America'

Of course when my uncles were there they just called it "The 'nam" cuz they were in "The Sh**"

But your post did remind me of "uncle sam....Im in Vi-et nam" (some long haired hippie protest song)

how did we get here in a post about tea leaves reading? (based on title... ;-) )

Old 02-16-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Why don't you just get a compass and a declination chart?
For me, using my astrology software is easier and more accurate, requiring no additional purchases.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:01 AM

This accurate north-south line has already come in handy. Previously I was using a north-south line that I eyeballed from the midpoint between the sunrise position and the sunset position.

In my small, thousand sf home, my bedroom is close to the center point, so the planetary lines between Saturn and Neptune are rather tight, leaving little wiggle room. With the line of sight north-south line, I put my bed on what I thought was the Neptune line, but It was actually on the Saturn line, which I discovered when I found an accurate north-south line. So I moved my bed from the Saturn line to the other side of the bedroom, which lies smack dab on my Neptune line. Last night, sleeping on my Neptune line, I had the best nights sleep I've had in ages. One night proves very little, but I will admit that it was a good start.

From Martin Davis in 'Astrolocality Astrology'
*Sleeping on a Saturn line: rigidity, stiffness
*Sleeping on a Neptune line: dreamy, relaxing

You can choose to be woo-wooed by these ideas and hang out in the twilight zone, or you can open your mind, let go of your pre-conceived biases, EXPERIMENT for yourself and base your opinions on EXPERIENCE.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I know I am a rube at this, I only know compass nav as far as required to get my rating...but are we using the right word?

and tempered with:
I know some posts state that some dude wrote a book or some code using this name, but that is no guarantee they used the right word EITHER.

At any rate, what is your sign?
The author of the book is using the word commonly used by astrologers. I'm good with that.

The sign of what planet?, and why 'that' planet, and not the other ones?

Old 02-17-2023, 05:59 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,850,450 times
I feel like you've drifted into the wrong forum. You aren't using astrology so much as astrology software that happens to include astronomical measurements. Astronomy and chemistry are the two oldest scientific fields and as such they share pre-scientific origins (astrology and alchemy). The scientific parts of astrology are now squarely classified in the astronomy camp.

While the particular software you are using may be tailored to pseudoscientific astrology, the star charts are likely derived from scientific astronomy.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I feel like you've drifted into the wrong forum.
From the mostly juvenile responses this post has garnered, you're probably right. I had the same thought myself. Which forum would you recommend? Perhaps an admin would re-locate it to there.

If I remember correctly there was a time in the past when Astrology was mentioned as a topic in one of the forums, but I couldn't find a forum where it was listed. I rarely use city-data these days, so I'm not in a good flow with the way things work anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology