Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 08:52 AM

1,488 posts, read 790,661 times

Advertisements

I like Apple TV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 10:41 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Kind of a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

When comparing apples to apples (I know..) - Both pretty much have an overlap of 90%. It just comes down to if that 10% is something you actually need w/ one or the other. I believe Apple TV may have more support for gaming. But of course, Roku gives you a lot more options in terms of tiers of hardware. There is no $40 Apple TV 'stick'...

At the end of the day - if you have Apple everything, an Apple TV is certainly going to integrate more seamlessly. Of course, it also comes in at a higher price point. So maybe more of a Ford vs. Cadillac thing...

Old 12-20-2023, 05:24 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
I've had both and used both. My preference is the Apple TV - easier to use menus, it's a bit faster navigating and it works with everything else (phones and tablets are Apple. I am not a Mac user for computers). I do like the remote a bit better, but I'm also used to it.

Roku isn't bad at all - I like that they have different tiers of hardware and the stick is a great format. I'm just not the biggest fan of their menus/home screen layouts. I have a Roku stick that we use when traveling!

That said, there is an Apple TV app for the Roku - so you still have access to your media and shows if you so choose.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:56 AM

462 posts, read 284,518 times
I like ROKU. For those that don't like the remote, you can download a ROKU remote on your smart phone. Much easier to use.

Old 12-23-2023, 05:01 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I'm a TV junkie, but my Directv cable bill is way too high, so I think I'm going to cancel it and get a streaming device. But I'm totally clueless about tech stuff and how to set it up. Apparently the two most popular streaming devices are the Roku stick 4K and the Apple TV 4K. Which one of those is better?
FWIW, I already have an Apple iPhone, so I'm not sure if that makes me more of an Apple TV type of person, rather than Roku, or if that even makes any difference.

The more important question is to which streaming services are you going to subscribe?

This is the real cost of service.

The device cost is minimal and may not even be necessary.

I have a "smart TV" through which I can stream all my subscriptions except for TCM. I use my Roku for streaming TCM.

I subscribe to YouTube TV for my basic programs and I have added Acorn and BritBox for my add-on shows.

Old 12-24-2023, 03:55 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
I have never used Apple TV. I have used Roku and an Amazon Firestick. I have the firestick and prefer it over Roku but they are basically the same thing. Yesterday I downloaded the Roku channel app onto my firestick. With the Firestick you do have to have an Amazon account. Just the plain free one is all that is needed. If you have Amazon Prime you do get more. We recently did a free Prime trial but canceled before we had to start paying for it.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:32 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
I recently bought a 24 inch Roku TV at Best Buy for $99. I bought it primarily to use as a monitor (HDMI input) while transcribing old analog VCR tapes to digital mp4 files.

I was surprised that Roku allows me to see quite a few real time TV channels for free. Now I'm thinking about cancelling my Hulu live service. That succor costs way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology