Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 03:17 PM

317 posts, read 496,093 times

Advertisements

I'm a TV junkie, but my Directv cable bill is way too high, so I think I'm going to cancel it and get a streaming device. But I'm totally clueless about tech stuff and how to set it up. Apparently the two most popular streaming devices are the Roku stick 4K and the Apple TV 4K. Which one of those is better?
FWIW, I already have an Apple iPhone, so I'm not sure if that makes me more of an Apple TV type of person, rather than Roku, or if that even makes any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 03:20 PM

317 posts, read 496,093 times
Also, I have two TVs, so I wonder if I could do Roku for one and Apple for the other? Or would I be better off just picking one?

Old 12-14-2023, 08:41 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I'm a TV junkie, but my Directv cable bill is way too high, so I think I'm going to cancel it and get a streaming device. But I'm totally clueless about tech stuff and how to set it up. Apparently the two most popular streaming devices are the Roku stick 4K and the Apple TV 4K. Which one of those is better?
FWIW, I already have an Apple iPhone, so I'm not sure if that makes me more of an Apple TV type of person, rather than Roku, or if that even makes any difference.
I prefer Roku. You buy the device for 30.00, and if you want a better remote you get the the one that costs 20.00. You can subscribe to channels like Netflix and Hulu, Or Choose Disney+ and Hulu as a bundle. The cost is not much. I have Hulu, Disney+ & Britbox, each for about 8.90 a month. Roku has a lot of free channels and you can sign up for other free channels. There is currently a HULU Disney + bundle available for about 11.00 amonth.

Apple TV is like Amazon Prime, you get shows that are not on any other device but it costs a lot, and with Amazon Prime you have to pay additional costs to "rent" or "buy" the current stuff.

P.S. you would be surprised at how many companies Disney owns so that Disney + gives you almost anything you would want to watch.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:55 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
Honestly, I looked at them both and ended up going with YouTube TV and am completely satisfied. I get all of my local channels and pretty much everything else I or anyone else in the household would want to watch.

Old 12-15-2023, 02:47 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Roku is the simplest. If you have a very high end TV you may want to get the more expensive Roku's.

The top 2 even have "Remote Finders". Pretty neat.

Apple TV is great too. There's also Chromecast and Fire Stick.

Old 12-15-2023, 05:29 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Apple TV is great too. There's also Chromecast and Fire Stick.
I misunderstood the thread topic. I meant to say I have Fire Cubes and they are fantastic.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:49 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
The Roku is probably the better value. I had one, and just loved it. Most people seem to be buying the Rokus, they're very much under priced. You can get a sorta, kinda browser for them, but I just mirrored mine off the laptop. Loved all the free channels they offered w/ old movies and old TV programs.

When I moved, Comcast/Xfinity found it impossible to come out and get my cable going. I even had to go to their store to get the modem for my internet that they promised had been shipped week after week. So I took my TV back to Walmart and have just been streaming everything on the computer, it is LOTS better than TV! You have total control over what you watch that way, no commercials, and I can always find free sites to stream things on. I'll probably never buy another TV again, it isn't worth the serious downgrade.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:36 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
I have an Apple TV, but don't watch the Apple shows. I watch Netflix and Rakuten Viki, not because streaming from Apple isn''t any worst than the rest. Also, if you have a smart TV you can download and install all the apps you want (Netflix, Apple, YouTube, and so on). Another note: if you have a new receiver (Yamaha, Denon, etc.) that is Airplay compatible, you can play your music from any of the computers or table or phone through the receiver.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-16-2023 at 01:43 AM..

Old 12-16-2023, 06:04 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
We happen to run both the Roku and Amazon streaming devices on two different TVs. They are both fine. Buying and installing the device is just the tip of the iceberg. It's all about which streaming services you want/need.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:22 AM

116 posts, read 34,950 times
To be honest, I really don’t watch neither. For me, it’s either college football or news. Because I am a strong conservative, I really don’t watch entertainment shows anymore.

I am otherwise preoccupied with work and my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology