Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 07:57 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing that google search has really gone to the dogs. Woof! When I do a weather search for my city, it brings up a few different websites, but the Weather Channel is at the top of the list and is repeated over and over again, one after the other. Many times I can't even find what I'm looking for on google search anymore either, it just keeps repeating the same dozen or so websites.

Today I was signed into gmail, something I seldom do unless I'm checking my emails (which is hardly ever because Proton Mail is so much better) and saw something very odd. If I was signed out of google, it showed my current temp was 40 degrees. After signing out of gmail it was 37! Looking at the weekly weather, similar discrepancies showed up every time I signed in and out of google.

I suspect that along w/ optimizing their searches to pull up the companies that pay them the most money, they're also using AI way too much, because that's about all I can think of that would cause this. Or something. Whatever it is, it also IS what it is. Pretty crappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 09:24 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
I noticed in the early 2000's when I needed to do a search for something concerning work. I typed in the search string and got a bunch of crap. It was almost related to some websites I visited at lunch time, but not really. I asked a coworker to type in that search on his browser and he got the link I was looking for, I asked him to email it to me. He didn't believe it would not come up for me just like it did for him so I had him come to my desk and see what I got with that search string. I had already reaad that google had software that saves search patterns and assumed someone would only want certain results based on past websites visited.

After that I switched to Mozilla and now I use Duck Duck go.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:48 AM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
People are biased. People ( programmers ) who program search engines are biased. Therefore search engines are biased.

The questions are, to what extent they are biased, and are they deliberately biased. Like people, some search engines are more biased than others. I use Google a lot, and I have no doubt that much of what they show is deliberately biased. But I can still generally find what I am looking for, just have to scroll a bit.

I don't know that we could ever trust any search engine completely.

For me, what would make them much better would be filters. If I search for ( A + B ) I should be able to filter based on only results that fully match ( A + B ), NOT results that only match A or only match B.

One of the worst search engines ever invented is Amazon Music's search engine. It throws in all kinds of extremely loosely related results. With well-designed filters it could be very good. But it seems designed to provide whatever is "trending" instead of what I really want. Maybe they think they are doing me a favor. They are not. Maybe they think they know me better than I know myself. They do not.

Fundamentally, the problems are bias and presumption. They "presume" you want something you are not actually looking for, because, well, they think they are smarter than we are. They are not.

The real problem is heading our way, namely that more and more people will believe whatever they get from the internet is smarter and better than they are, and just accept it.

Just look at the wide range of threads here on CD where someone reads something from a website where someone just made something up, and they run with it as if it were true.

Sorry. EOR = End of Rant

Old 12-30-2023, 04:06 PM

166 posts, read 96,152 times
Ever trust "Icognito Mode?" Apparently google has loads of $$ from all of the companies they've acquired plus tracking and sale of OUR data. This settlement of a huge class action involving tracking in Incognito Mode is a mere drop in the bucket (reader comment/suggestions on article worthwhile):

"Google has indicated that it is ready to settle a class-action lawsuit filed in 2020 over its Chrome browser's Incognito mode. Arising in the Northern District of California, the lawsuit accused Google of continuing to "track, collect, and identify [users'] browsing data in real time" even when they had opened a new Incognito window."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...omments-page=2

"Google argued that the splash screen that appears when you open an incognito window (see photo above) explains how the service works and protects it from the accusations of this lawsuit. However, the judge didn’t agree. It’s likely Google saw this case as eventually being more expensive and/or more damaging for PR than a settlement would be, which would explain today’s decision."

https://www.androidauthority.com/chr...-suit-3398230/

Settlement means no admission of wrongdoing, transparency, or mandatory change on how it works though would think they'll improve their messaging.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:58 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Yup, you Google something and get several, contradictory results - ON FACTS!!
It's a garbage!

Last edited by elnina; 01-01-2024 at 03:41 AM..

Old 01-01-2024, 09:48 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Most upstream search engines seem to have switched to some integration of LLM to interpret search queries. This, along with SEO, has basically made Google and others useless to anyone who expects to generate results with key terms and operators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
The real problem is heading our way, namely that more and more people will believe whatever they get from the internet is smarter and better than they are, and just accept it.
We already crossed that rubicon years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightsider View Post
This settlement of a huge class action involving tracking in Incognito Mode is a mere drop in the bucket (reader comment/suggestions on article worthwhile):
Incognito/private modes literally only avoid saving history to disk, so that other users of the same computer can't snoop history of other local users. It's been that way since day one.

This massive misunderstanding of the scope of incognito/private browsing is only a testament to how severely computer illiterate the vast majority of the population is.

Also trusting anything produced by Google (known PRISM collaborator) to "preserve your privacy" lmaooooooooooo good job guys lol slow clap

This is by no means to absolve them of responsibility, or to somehow justify their spying. But it would have been to everyone's benefit if these modes were named something like:
"Don't Save Browsing History To Local Storage Mode"

And think web search is bad now? just give it a few more years. You ain't seen nothing yet! lol

Old 01-01-2024, 10:00 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
This massive misunderstanding of the scope of incognito/private browsing is only a testament to how severely computer illiterate the vast majority of the population is.
I get it, but do we all have to be experts about a product in order to use it? I own and drive a car, operate a blender, keep food in a refrigerator...but totally illiterate if it comes down to fixing or building my own version of these products. I buy them on faith that they are "generally regarded as safe" (GRAS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
And think web search is bad now? just give it a few more years. You ain't seen nothing yet! lol
I'm with you there, it's getting worse and worse. And Google isn't the worst villain we're facing, it's Amazon. Maybe the two combined. I recently deleted Google Chrome from one of my computers because it was using 21GB of hard disk space. The next biggest space hog was another app using around 400MB - that's gigs versus megs. I tried changing all the Chrome settings, clearing caches, history, blah blah blah, and it remained at 21GB, so out it went.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:02 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Google has been involved in multiple lawsuits over issues such as privacy, advertising, intellectual property, antitrust, censorship, defamation, and various Google services such as Google Books and YouTube. The company's legal department has now 400 lawyers handling those issues.

Google search results are not trustworthy anymore. Since Google doesn't verify every link, it's not always wise to trust the data it gives you.
Criticism of Google includes concern for tax avoidance, misuse and manipulation of search results, its use of others' intellectual property, collaboration with US military, censorship of search results and content, spying on users etc. Google was fined in EU several times, mainly for illegally "cement its dominant position in general internet search".

Old 01-02-2024, 04:56 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Use duck duck go to get unbiased results, however to my knowledge they also rely on google. There is an opportunity for competition in this market.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:50 PM

1,112 posts, read 606,309 times
100% agreed that Google is not the same as it use to be when it was young and hungry.

Did you know that you can pay Google to have "your page" rank higher for search results? There are myriads of companies that will make sure that your page / company comes up as the 1st few results when people are searching for your goods / services.

I remember switching from Yahoo search engine to the NEW unknown but fast Google one. They were amazing.

There is definitely room for a competitor.

We need a new hungry company to come up... I will gladly switch to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology