U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:38 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,538,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That's rarely a good reason to do anything.
it usually is in the case of science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,417,156 times
Probably very highly unlikely. One of the key differences between humans and chimpanzees is the fact that the human being has 46 chromosomes whereas the chimpanzee and other great apes have 48. On each chromosomal "end" you have sections of massive amounts of DNA called telomeres. In the chimpanzee with 48 chromosomes there are 24 pairs (naturally). What is interesting about the human chromosomal count is that we actually find 48 chromosomes (indicating a common ancestor with that of the chimpanzee) however it is as if two chromosomes (#2 and #13 on each side) are fused together at the telomeres. So, we do have 23 pairs of chromosomes but in a much different fashion.

If anything, I would think that this would be one of the most difficult things to try and overcome in making a half-ape/half-human.

This is a good video from Ken Miller in which he is explaining one of the things that debunked the Intelligent Design movement in Dover, Pennsylvania (Kitzmiller vs. Dover Area School Board) but it also gives a wonderful explanation of the chromosomes and telomeres as well as the differences between humans and chimps.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 PM

485 posts, read 1,796,179 times
I live near Dover-people in York County are indistinguishable from monkeys, anyhow!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:50 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,115,308 times
The Russians tried humans with chimps and (and vice versa), a long time ago. Also tried was bison with buffalo. That didn't work out too well, either. I've seen pictures of a cross between horses and zebras.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:42 AM

44,138 posts, read 54,250,117 times
Didn't the Germans try to do this back in the 30s/40s in order to create a more subservient slave race? Didn't work.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM

799 posts, read 1,985,898 times
Yeah, aren't the consequences of such a thing enormous? Even if we can do something, do we do it? If you could rob a bank, because you could come up with the technology and ability to do it, do you?
I think there are lines we don't cross, and we approach them with a reverence here. Any scientist who would delve into this, like some kid jumping into a river of alligators, is just shooting from the hip, hoping to get some Nobel prize and get into the textbooks. I am sure Mr. Newton and Mr. Darwin would say no.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 AM

428 posts, read 1,524,826 times
Just came across this thread. The horse in the top photo above looks suspiciously like a painted-on zebra, but the bottom photo really does appear to be a "hybrid". If you happen to read S.J. Gould's essays "What, If Anything, Is a Zebra?" and "How The Zebra Got Its Stripes" you can find much illumination! My guess is, the bottom zebra-horse was born this way not because it was the offspring of purposely breeding the two species (although it might've been), but the outcome of a horse being born with a mosaic expression of a gene(s) that code for striping. It seems that, like the probable relationship among humans, chimps and orangs, some zebra species are closer to horses than they are to the other zebra species. Thus a "zebra" is possibly not "anything" per se! Anyway, it's likely that all horses have these genes for stripes, but they are not expressed.

That said, humans and chimps might possibly be hybridized with great difficulty, but it would be an unconscionable moral decision to do such a thing. If anyone would ever doubt this, imagine being the hybrid.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 AM

21,230 posts, read 5,701,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I know it sounds gross, at least if they did it naturally (blech), but how difficult would it be to make a ape-human hybrid?

Great ape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we seem to be awfully close, and at some point in the past we did have a common ancestor.
Hmmmmmmm, Looks like a blind date I went on years ago, the type that "has a great personality".

Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 PM

428 posts, read 1,524,826 times
I am correcting my post above. I got curious about the "zorse" (the real one with the patches) above, and looked it up It is indeed an accidental hybrid horse-zebra that resides in Germany. Apparently a horse with white patches, if cross-bred with a zebra, will produce offspring with white patches and stripes.

In any case, it is true that a horse may be born occasionally without having a zebra parent, yet it has some stripes. This is because all horses have the latent genes for stripes. (Which are, in case you were dying to know, white stripes on a black animal )

Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,835,186 times
The scientist are already working on the chicken trying to bring back the raptor. On Discovery Channel, few months back, they showed the process and it was hoped that in about 50 years or less an emu would become emusaurus. And they are also working with mammoth remains in Russia attempting to bring the mammoth back to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology