Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM

244 posts, read 298,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
I think its hard to pin down "evolved" and "devolvled" in terms of culture as well. Because it is 100% dependent on the cultural values, same as biological evolution is dependent on the environment. Evolution is not a state of progression.

While we might feel our western culture and technology is the pinnacle of evolution, not everyone would. I am sure many monks in the Dark Ages would consider us beyond salvation and deplore how lost our society has become with its bent on materialism. So would many current cultures that value nature and spirituality.

Are we more "advanced" because we value science/technology or are they more "advanced" because they value spirit/soul and reject our attachment to the physical world? Which one evolved from the 1800s and which one devlolved? You can't really anwer that question without bsaing it on your ideals of society. Much like biological evolution can't say what is more "advanced", all it does is select what is optimal for the current environment.

By current western standards, we would probably say that the Greeks in teh Golden Age with their views of reason, the basis on math, medicine, science, philosophy and other technology was advanced. Then we "devolved" into the Dark Ages after the Roman Empire... losing our way to superstition and losing a lot of what we had learned. Then we got back on track by focusing on art and science and eventually the industrial revolution to our current "advanced/evolved" society. As mentioned, this depends on what we value and consider progress....
I apologize for the bump in the thread. I went back to the original question and realized that philosophical interpretations of evolution were not asked for. I think I may have picked that up as I read through the thread.

You are absolutely correct in saying that non-biological evolution is based on a value judgement. My areas of interest lie in Religion and Philosophy and how they correlate to early and what I would call Proto-Science in the search for Truth, so my default train of thought will often go there automatically. Thank you for the insights, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Whether you believe that humans evolved from primates or are the product of Adam and Eve does not matter as since Homo sapiens came on the scene we have changed very little. Basically, we just lost some hair and grew taller.

Evolution takes thousands to hundreds of thousands of years + to occur and usually caused by a change in the environment (yes, there are other things that can cause a species to evolve into something else).

Evolution is also something that cannot be observed as it is happening. We may be able to see the signs, but it is more or less an after-the-fact assessment made when comparing one time frame to another. We would have to view humans 10,000, 20,000 or 30,000 years from now to be able to make any serious statements as to whether or not we are still evolving.

I have read some articles that have suggested that humans have basically stopped evolving as far as natural biological processes are concerned. Any change in the future is more than likely going to be the result of our own doing.

Last edited by K-Luv; 01-02-2009 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
From what I have heard, the next step in human evolution will be when we merge with our technology.

those that do will become the superior race, those that dont will fall behind...

Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
From what I have heard, the next step in human evolution will be when we merge with our technology.
This is what I believe as well, but like it would not be a process of natural selection.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM

There is absolutely no way to prevent evolution; how we perceive it may not be accurate because our sense of time does not jibe with the scale at which we change.

Biological evolution is the mutation, or changes that occur as consequetive copies of the same DNA are reproduced. Some mutations, call them beneficial, will be successful in the body and will be perpetuated. Other mutations will be unsuccessful and will not be propogated. Where this all leads is determined by numerous factors, environmental and psyiological, and not equal in all cases.

In some cases merging with technology is okay in my book; hip and knee replacement. Even the experimental stuff like growing new organs and tissue still seems natural (stem cell growth, among others). But GPS implants and hardwiring the brain for people who lose control of their phsyicality, among other such things, worries me. I may feel differently if it were me or a loved one, but I am happy that I don't have to make the decision. My paradigm is still anchored in the technology of my youth, at least as far as this is concerned.

Last edited by manquaman; 01-02-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: spelling and syntax

Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post

Biological evolution is the mutation, or changes that occur as consequetive copies of the same DNA are reproduced. Some mutations, call them beneficial, will be successful in the body and will be perpetuated. Other mutations will be unsuccessful and will not be propogated. Where this all leads is determined by numerous factors, environmental and psyiological, and not equal in all cases.
The mutations would need to occur in several humans at the same time, and these humans would have to reproduce, passing these genes along to the next generation. This whole event would be completely random as well which is why it takes tens of thousands or more years to accomplish. Repeat ad nauseam until these new genes are common place in every human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
In some cases merging with technology is okay in my book; hip and knee replacement. Even the experimental stuff like growing new organs and tissue still seems natural (stem cell growth, among others). But GPS implants and hardwiring the brain for people who lose control of their phsyicality, among other such things, worries me. I may feel differently if it were me or a loved one, but I am happy that I don't have to make the decision. My paradigm is still anchored in the technology of my youth, at least as far as this is concerned.
The Six Million Dollar Man, or Darth Vader for those of you not old enough, is going to become a reality to the human experience in a rather short amount of time, probably within twenty years from now.

The real freaky stuff will occur when scientist figure out how to manipulate and control atoms to build what ever it is that they so desire. At that point we will see real nano-technology and designer body parts. Also, once the nano-barrier has been breached and is fully understood we could see the indefinite life-span for human beings and other earth-bound creatures emerge. Of course this privilege will go to the one's who can afford it.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The mutations would need to occur in several humans at the same time, and these humans would have to reproduce, passing these genes along to the next generation. This whole event would be completely random as well which is why it takes tens of thousands or more years to accomplish. Repeat ad nauseam until these new genes are common place in every human.

The Six Million Dollar Man, or Darth Vader for those of you not old enough, is going to become a reality to the human experience in a rather short amount of time, probably within twenty years from now.

The real freaky stuff will occur when scientist figure out how to manipulate and control atoms to build what ever it is that they so desire. At that point we will see real nano-technology and designer body parts. Also, once the nano-barrier has been breached and is fully understood we could see the indefinite life-span for human beings and other earth-bound creatures emerge. Of course this privilege will go to the one's who can afford it.
so start saving now for an enlargement pill that will actually work!

and start pitying the women when they do!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 AM

EETimes.com - Nanotubes shown to boost neuron signals

The researchers propose engineering carbon nanotube scaffolds as electrical bypass circuitry, not only for faulty neural networks but potentially to enhance the performance of healthy cells to provide "superhuman" cognitive functions.

In the not to distant future, those that get upgrades will in fact be considered superhuman. those that dont will be "Neanderthals"...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
EETimes.com - Nanotubes shown to boost neuron signals

The researchers propose engineering carbon nanotube scaffolds as electrical bypass circuitry, not only for faulty neural networks but potentially to enhance the performance of healthy cells to provide "superhuman" cognitive functions.

In the not to distant future, those that get upgrades will in fact be considered superhuman. those that dont will be "Neanderthals"...
Not that you were implying usage within human bodies, but carbon nanotube technology has been discovered to act much like asbestos in its ability to cause cancers in humans. There is a very interesting application theory using this technology to create an elevator system into outer space for multiple use/low cost (as compared to the Space Shuttle and upcoming aeronautical vehicles) material delivery to space stations, and potentially refueling stations for space vehicles.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Whether you believe that humans evolved from primates or are the product of Adam and Eve
Interesting that i'm reading more and more over the last several years about some genetic anthropologists believe that the ''Garfen of Eden'' could possibly be the ancient memories of our ancient Hunter Gathier societies that are stored in our DNA.

Always wondered that people who believe in reincarnation as they say they have the same vision of an event or past time may actually be memories just expressing themselves in our genomes past down from generation to generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology