U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM

5,031 posts, read 2,080,788 times

Advertisements

That's easy.

1919 -- I'd go see a stockbroker with a lawyer in tow and $500. I would give him very specific instructions on how to invest the money, and I would pay the lawyer a percentage of the return. Then I'd go back every year after that, pop in, and make sure they haven't swindled me. Their successors would contact me right about now.

33 AD -- With a discreet little video camera to settle the entire crucifixion and resurrection question once and for all.

11/22/63 -- Again with the video camera, conveniently positioned on the Grassy Knoll in Texas. As if this needs any explanation.

100 BC -- I'd bribe the night guard at the Library of Alexandria and bring in a camera, photographing long-lost texts.

1947 -- Just for giggles, I'd like to see what really happened in Roswell, New Mexico.

2119, 2219, and 2519 -- I'd like to see where the human race is going.

Otherwise, I wouldn't interfere and speak to almost no one. Otherwise, I might return to 2019 and learn that I don't exist.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 03-24-2019 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 05:07 PM

5,031 posts, read 2,080,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
What years would I go to?

1- Early America (sometime between 1600-1871)

What I'll bring back with me:
- An early book about electricity.
- Medicine / antibiotics
- Guns and ammo. Lots of guns and ammo.
- My truck, if possible, or at least an engine, transmission, and diagrams on how to build the rest of the truck.
- Ipod-type music player, most likely my cell phone.
- Lots and lots and lots, like millions of seeds native to North America, such as trees, plants.
- A small solar generator and diagrams for it.
- A diagram of wind power generators.
- Maps
- 100 different pairs of eyeglasses
- Various other trinkets useful for survival and superior to colonial technology.

My agenda:

- Arm the "Indians"
- Stop the French, Spanish, and British/Irish/Italians and any others from taking over North America.
- RULE with an iron fist! Chief Happy Narf
- Maintain 90% natural un-harmed forest and plains. Maybe 1 or a few mega-cities, and some rural small towns. Think no sprawl.
- In relation the previous point; Become the colonial version of Al Gore and warn over the dangers of global warming. More importantly, push for conserving resources and animals.
- Meet the dodo and kill it.

The massive fallacy in all this is that:

A) You seem to think that there's a single Indian tribe, when they had been happily killing one another long before Columbus. Those picturesque Anasazi cliff dwellings weren't there for the view. If you think about, hauling provisions and water up those rickety ladders were a wholesale pain in the butt. Instead, those dwellings were built to protect the village against the next marauding tribe up the canyon. Imagine what it would be like if they had even modest weapons such as assault rifles and trench mortars.

B) The Indians would have similarly exploited the environment with all their newfound technological know-how. I mean, all you have to do is look at the number of species the native Americans hunted to extinction in Pre-Columbian North America. If you popped in there with a bunch of advanced weapons and told them they couldn't kill game with it, they would look at you as if you had rocks in your head.

C) Speaking of heads, if you gave an Indian chief a shotgun and taught him how to use it, the odds are pretty good he would blow yours off at the first opportunity. Finally,

D) If you equipped all those Indians they wouldn't just embark on a crusade to conquer each other, followed by the Europeans. Plenty of native Americans feared peoples such as the Comanches and the Aztecs a great deal more than they did the Spanish or English or Americans.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 03-24-2019 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 07:50 PM

4,035 posts, read 7,625,564 times
It would be a great way to stretch my vacation money. I would take my 4 week a year off and go to the places I would normally go, but far back in time when the minimum wage was, say, $1 an hour. It would be awesome.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:52 PM

4,503 posts, read 3,229,355 times
And if the time machine malfunctions and you're stuck?

Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 PM

14,205 posts, read 11,396,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It would be a great way to stretch my vacation money. I would take my 4 week a year off and go to the places I would normally go, but far back in time when the minimum wage was, say, $1 an hour. It would be awesome.
While many want to go to the past; keep in mind that dentist did not have the equipment or the knowledge they have today. For anybody that has ever seen the 1976 movie Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman (he was tortured by a dentist) the movie reminds me of my experience in a 1950's dentist office. Here is a brief history of dental anesthesia: https://www.speareducation.com/spear...tal-anesthesia. Keep in mind, that just because a new anesthesia was introduced, it could take years (back then) before it had wide spread practice. They also used old slow speed drills without the water to cool the drill - you could smell the drilling procedure as it heated up the tooth and decay.

The only thing that was not painful back then was the price!

Old 03-25-2019, 02:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 7,625,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And if the time machine malfunctions and you're stuck?
To the best of my knowledge, no one from the future has been stuck in our time. If anyone was, we would have heard out it. LOL. It would not be a bad thing being stuck in a time when there was less traffic and everything was cheaper. Plus the knowledge I have about the dotcom bust, the subprime fiasco, etc. would serve me well financially.

I am off to see my time travel agent for a trip to the sixties.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:20 PM

477 posts, read 269,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
While many want to go to the past; keep in mind that dentist did not have the equipment or the knowledge they have today. For anybody that has ever seen the 1976 movie Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman (he was tortured by a dentist) the movie reminds me of my experience in a 1950's dentist office. Here is a brief history of dental anesthesia: https://www.speareducation.com/spear...tal-anesthesia. Keep in mind, that just because a new anesthesia was introduced, it could take years (back then) before it had wide spread practice. They also used old slow speed drills without the water to cool the drill - you could smell the drilling procedure as it heated up the tooth and decay.

The only thing that was not painful back then was the price!
Well if we see that pretty much every endeavor we ever created whether good or bad is driven by money/price and that has risen so much since the 70s (not all wages and income caught up), it was better to have a life back in those days on balance.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:01 PM

14,205 posts, read 11,396,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Well if we see that pretty much every endeavor we ever created whether good or bad is driven by money/price and that has risen so much since the 70s (not all wages and income caught up), it was better to have a life back in those days on balance.
By the 1970s and 1980s the pain was reduced with higher standards and better equipment. Also 1980 was about the last year that we had equality between civil service jobs and civilian jobs. It might be fun to go back; but not too far back.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:51 PM

281 posts, read 106,747 times
Any 1940s year in the USA (the true patriotic era, not the overrated 50s).
1976 (liberal values without terrorism)
2013 (my favorite year, I was there)
3013 (to see the future)

Old 04-03-2019, 02:00 PM

477 posts, read 269,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Any 1940s year in the USA (the true patriotic era, not the overrated 50s).
1976 (liberal values without terrorism)
2013 (my favorite year, I was there)
3013 (to see the future)
What was so great about 2013 with patriotism and cultural climate?
Starting in the early 2010s we are on the edge of becoming as violent of an era than America during the 1960s.

I agree that the 1940s were a patriotic era even though I didn't live in those times (honestly, any decade before the 1960s).

Also, what did you mean when you said "liberal values"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology