U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 11:03 PM

37 posts, read 77,744 times

Advertisements

Okay I'm not sure if this belongs in the science and technology forum, but here I go anyway.
All of my life I've always had an obscure racial past, and for whatever reason it's always kind of annoyed that I know next to nothing about my past. My dad is of Mexican descent, but that's really all that I know. My parents are almost entirely ignorant about their heritage, my mom just says she's a plain ol' American. So I was thinking about getting a DNA test performed to determine my race.
Do you think these types of tests are legitimate?
I think that I must have some type of Amerindian in me, however my mom's last name is Magyar so that confuses things, and some Spanish blood too, as my last name is Spanish, but other than that I just don't know. I'm pretty sure I'm caucasian, based just on appearance, but again that's the deepest it gets. For all that I know I may not be as Mexican as I've always assumed I was, and my already dubious racial identity would be destroyed.
Anyway, it's just a question I've had on my mind for a while, so thanks to anyone willing to lend their voice, or thoughts I suppose would be more accurate, on whether or not it's possible for DNA tests to determine race.

Last edited by RPSF; 02-14-2009 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:03 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPSF View Post
Okay I'm not sure if this belongs in the science and technology forum, but here I go anyway.
All of my life I've always had an obscure racial past, and for whatever reason it's always kind of annoyed that I know next to nothing about my past. My dad is of Mexican descent, but that's really all that I know. My parents are almost entirely ignorant about their heritage, my mom just says she's a plain ol' American. So I was thinking about getting a DNA test performed to determine my race.
Do you think these types of tests are legitimate?
I think that I must have some type of Amerindian in me, however my mom's last name is Magyar so that confuses things, and some Spanish blood too, as my last name is Spanish, but other than that I just don't know. I'm pretty sure I'm caucasian, based just on appearance, but again that's the deepest it gets. For all that I know I may not be as Mexican as I've always assumed I was, and my already dubious racial identity would be destroyed.
Anyway, it's just a question I've had on my mind for a while, so thanks to anyone willing to lend their voice, or thoughts I suppose would be more accurate, on whether or not it's possible for DNA tests to determine race.

I am Swedish, born and raised with Swedish parents Swedish, grand parents and great grandparents and great great grandparents and so on so i am white, Nordic, BUT if you saw me you would guess me to be maybe Italian or Spanish. So maybe, just maybe some old viking man desided to mate with an spansh chick and bring her to Sweden and 900 years later I was born with her genes?Just because you have some Mexican in you doesn't make you Mexican. You are more like a mix of different things. I have heard this dna test are good and can give you a great idea what your herratige are. But I think it is expensive. If you find out let me know?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:19 AM

I'm looking into it right now. But I do have a slight correction to make. I just called my mom and her last name isn't Magyar, it's Basque, and she just told me that my maternal grandfather was an immigrant from Pais Vasco, Basque Country, of Spain to Mexico, after which they then fled to America in the late 40s, not that anyone cares lol. So now I'm starting to do some digging in that direction.
Anyway, I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not these things are junk or not. It's confusing.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,991,286 times
RPSF.....we talk about the different migrations of the early peoples alot in the History forums here as you should check it out sometime in the future. I do trust those ancesteral DNA tests as i've researched them and now the science is getting to be very sound. You spit into a vial and mail it to then and they then anyalyze your mothers DNA (Mt DNA) and your fathers DNA (Y chromosome) as these carry the different genetic markers of all the different peoples who's ever lived in your maternal and paternal side of your family.

As for your background i can only guess but the Basque's if that's your bloodline are not related to the Spanards or Portuguese as they are closer to the Brythonic Celts of Wales and Ireland. If your ancesteral DNA is Spanish the ancesteral DNA test can tell you if you have Roman, Visigoth, Norse, Moorish or Frankish blood as these were the different early peoples to at one time inhabited Spain going back 2,000 years.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 PM

Interesting 6 foot 3, I'm an Anglophile but to be honest I just never really bothered looking too far into Spanish history.
You see if you were to see a picture of me you'd know that I'm different and you'd probably have a hard time guessing what race/ethnicity I belong to. I've hazel-green eyes but very dark brown hair. I'm 6'3" (lol that's your screen name too ha) but have olive toned skin. I've almond eyes, but I'm very hairy (unfortunately). I've very broad shoulders, but I'm small boned, people always think I'm anorexic yet I eat like Fat Bastard from Austin Powers lol. I really do defy all racial sterotypes, and I really am an ethnic smorgasbord.
When I was in secondary school, I always thought it was kind of cool that while everyone else was Mexican, Irish, or Filipino, I went to a Catholic school, I stood alone and unique. But it also hurt a bit that while everyone else took much pride in their ancestry, especially the Mexicans and Irish, I couldn't really relate to any one group of people. The Mexicans thought I was white and the whites didn't know what I was but they thought I wasn't white.
My parents always taught me to never see race but rather individual people, and I still take that to heart today and am very grateful for my post-racial up-bringing. But I've always been envious of those who knew so much of their past, while I was completely ignorant of mine.
Anyway, sorry for venting.
6 foot 3, are there any particular threads you could point me too that discuss Spanish migrational history?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
But I think it is expensive. If you find out let me know?
Just check the internet as many companies are offering them now. Here's one from Ancestry.com offering a cheek and swab test for $89.00 that's usually $149.00 if interested.

DNA Testing by Ancestry.com reveals Ancestry and Genealogy

Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPSF View Post
Interesting 6 foot 3, I'm an Anglophile but to be honest I just never really bothered looking too far into Spanish history.
You see if you were to see a picture of me you'd know that I'm different and you'd probably have a hard time guessing what race/ethnicity I belong to. I've hazel-green eyes but very dark brown hair. I'm 6'3" (lol that's your screen name too ha) but have olive toned skin. I've almond eyes, but I'm very hairy (unfortunately). I've very broad shoulders, but I'm small boned, people always think I'm anorexic yet I eat like Fat Bastard from Austin Powers lol. I really do defy all racial sterotypes, and I really am an ethnic smorgasbord.
When I was in secondary school, I always thought it was kind of cool that while everyone else was Mexican, Irish, or Filipino, I went to a Catholic school, I stood alone and unique. But it also hurt a bit that while everyone else took much pride in their ancestry, especially the Mexicans and Irish, I couldn't really relate to any one group of people. The Mexicans thought I was white and the whites didn't know what I was but they thought I wasn't white.
My parents always taught me to never see race but rather individual people, and I still take that to heart today and am very grateful for my post-racial up-bringing. But I've always been envious of those who knew so much of their past, while I was completely ignorant of mine.
Anyway, sorry for venting.
6 foot 3, are there any particular threads you could point me too that discuss Spanish migrational history?
Well let me say that i don't want to get into too much history here as these are the Science forums and not the History forums but what better way to learn about the history of spain and the early migrations into to them by either researching on the web and/or also posting your question about this in the History forums here at City Data as i and/or possibly others will weigh in about that.

As for the science part of the Y-Chomosomal DNA in Europe and which countries have which genetics here you go as i think you will find this interesting as you'll see that Spain is very high in the R1b Haplolog group 70% which are the European Celts and if you look you'll see the Spanards are very close in DNA to the Basques, Irish, English and Welsh so that's probably why many Spanards have lite skin and redish/brownish hair and hazel eyes just like alot of the Irish have.

Eupedia : European Y-DNA haplogroups frequencies by country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology