U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 AM

277 posts, read 551,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Salt water has a lower freezing point (which is why we salt roads in areas where it snows). The Arctic ocean is slightly less saline than the other oceans. But, the oceans as a whole act as one giant circulatory system. It is possible that every once in a while a batch of seawater with a higher salinity washed into the area. One of the reasons why the Arctic Ocean is less saline is because of the seasonal melting of the ice, not only from ocean ice, but from the run-off from the land the encircles the Arctic Ocean. The North Pole, also, does not receive much precipitation, so the ice that forms is from sources that are already at sea-level.

The average depth of sea-ice in the Arctic changes from year to year and by location. Some areas are just thicker than others. The only thing that the picture proves is that the ice was thin enough at that particular location at that particular time.
The pictures show exactly what I wanted to show, these pictures are from the North Pole, a point that is always in the same place, the pictures are not just from inside the Arctic circle.The pictures show that sometimes the ice is thin there and it is not unusual. The Global warming alarmist keep saying that it is not normal.

Quote:
Once again, an anomaly, perhaps. The only way to know for sure is to see what things are like fifty or one hundred years from now.
The ice caps vary,they will always vary, the earth goes through natural warming and cooling phases all the time. It has been warmer in the past and it has been colder. The problem is that pro AGW people who think we can change these patterns and who believe the warming we experienced up until just recently was abnormal.

Quote:

You mentioned something to the effect of scientists feeling stupid once they realize that they are wrong. Are you going to feel stupid if it turns out that you are wrong?
I would admit I was wrong when it can be proven that any recent warming falls outside normal climate variations of the earth, and that our actions had anything to do with it. The problem is that we have not had the ability to accurately track variations to the degree necessary to make the wild claims that they on the alarmist side are are making, satellites and accurate thermometers that can measure temperatures to the hundredth of a degree have not been around that long.

If it gets cooler for a sustained period of 20 years or so, despite all the damage we as humans are doing to the earth, we will know the scientists were wrong.

Many of the Weather Stations being used to show that the Global average Temperatures are rising over the last 100 years are no longer ideally located to allow for accurate measurements, not only that, many times the data has been unreliable due to failures of equiptment. Like last year when the same Data for two months in a row was used in global temperature calculations when they had missing stations in Russia. GISS Releases (Suspect) October 2008 Data Watts Up With That?

Jennifer Marohasy The Absurdity of a Reliable Average Global Surface Temperature

Quote:
The cooling phase was an idea that was brought up in the 1970's. To my knowledge it was just an idea proposed by someone that the media grabbed ahold of and ran with it (as the media usually does). I'll have to do some research onto this as it has been awhile since I first heard it and am a bit rusty on the topic. So I'll leave it at that.
There were people who thought we were headed for an Ice Age in the 70's, I am not talking about that time frame.

Quote:
Models are only as good as the information that is fed into them. No one on planet Earth has first hand experience of what global-warming is all about, so any model is going to have that as a handicap. You also need to keep in mind that these models generally tend to produce a worst-case scenario (there are a few that are producing a best-case scenario) and they run on a business-as-usual functionality. By that I mean laboratory experiments are always favorable to the experiment at hand. Anyone with two brain cells should be able to recognize that things do not always happen as planned (a weather forecast, for example). Things change. Sh*t happens. Anomalies will always happen that will through a monkey wrench into what these models produce. There is still the chance that they are correct, though.
.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

Jennifer Marohasy Former NASA Boss Declares Himself a Sceptic and Slams Climate Models
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 AM

277 posts, read 551,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
Dude, you quoted a master of woo woo that is known for "cherry picking" data that only fits his conclusions.
And that would never happen on the pro AGW side would it. Can you prove that the pictures are not really from the place or times claimed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology