U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 AM

5,500 posts, read 19,506,418 times

Advertisements

Sorry folks, but the human race is going to die out. You'll be dead and gone one day too. No special treatment for you either. We all carry inside us the seeds of our own demise. All species come to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 AM

27,903 posts, read 33,419,281 times
It is 5 Minutes to Midnight | Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists

Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 AM

4,981 posts, read 7,758,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post

You are very wrong about this.. we are not tiny or insignificant.. looking at it through a science limited perspective.. this could be true.. looking through truth of your own eyes from a higher perspective.. we are everything..
No, I'm not wrong. But perhaps you misunderstood, or I simply didn't word myself well enough. I'm not saying humans don't make a contribution. More than any other species, humans have had a very noticable effect on the planet. But from an historical perspective, homo sapiens is only one small fraction of the numbers of life forms that have ever evolved and existed on the planet. Most species of the past became extinct. Some theories suggest planet wide extinctions so drastic that it came very close to rendering the planet devoid of life. But a few species did indeed manage to survive. Humans and all other living life forms today are the result of those ancient survivors.

Saying that "we are everything" isn't exactly true. The fundamental origins of humans and everything else in the universe, stem back to the very beginning of the universe. People are a part of the cosmos, but they themselves are only individual fragments of it. Earth and the life on it are part of the process of billions of years of change.

Quote:

That number is just a throw out.. most of the changes should be done in the late 2030's.. but the number is subject to change.. cause we are subject to change..

Now you're beginning to understand something about change. "the number is subject to change", "we are subject to change". That's true, and I'll go one step further - everything is subject to change. That means change could also include the extinction of the human race. It is very narrow minded to think the species, homo sapiens, is somehow exempt or immune from the prospect of possible extinction. Humans are very flexible and have been remarkably adaptable, but are also very fragile and dependant on the intertwined ecosystem of the planet.

Quote:

Nope I think that our evolution into a new lifestyle/ideas will be complete by 2040 or earlier at least from this present perspective.. again that number is subject to change.. as I said many of the ideas we have in play today such as money, good/evil I believe these will not go away.. but be a thing of the past.. as we explore new ideas and new types of plays.. our evolution is about inclusion.. not exclusion..

Now, you're not making any sense. Predicting some kind of completion of ideas and lifestyles by 2030, 2040, or 100,000, is meaningless to toss around. Ideas and lifestyles have always undergone change, so there's no reason to think things won't change in the future. There will most likely always be something we don't know about but want to learn and understand.

If money, good/evil, etc., will NOT go away (as you stated), then they would NOT become a thing of the past. At best, at least for the foreseeable future, any change to those things would be the result of how we manage or perceive the uses of them. Human evolution is not about inclusion. It's about adaptation to their surroundings. The ability to adapt might have a limitation, with the exception of the possibility of another species branching off that can adapt to certain changes. But of course, that would likely mean that the species of homo sapiens would likely run its course and eventually become extinct, or at the very least, become a subdominant species.

Quote:

I'm not saying this is wrong.. there are people on this planet per my understanding that our 2-5 century's old.. but the point is at some point in our lives.. enough may be enough and a return to the place we come from may be in order.. So when you think long term about it.. the answer is "no one really wants to live forever" in summary.. however the choice/option is always there.. I guess

If you mean there are people who are alive today and have been alive for 2-5 centuries, but burden of proof is on you to show that's actually true. As for saying "no one really wants to live forever" is incorrect. More realistic is that no one wants go through the pain and suffering that goes along with life. There's a trade-off or balance to human life. To experience the positive parts of life, one also needs to accept the negative parts as well. Things live and things die.

I think it helps understanding that no one ever dies because of old age. They die because parts of the body become weak or damaged, or because of defective genetics. If those things could be resolved, then people could potentially live indefinately, barring some unforeseen accident, disease, war, murder, catastrophic disaster, or just choosing to stop living.

We might be able to find ways to extend longevity, perhaps to lengths that seem extreme right now. But change also means adapting some new things that work and discarding some old things that don't. Without change, things become static and cease to exist (extinction) in order to make room for things that can adapt and thrive.

Last edited by NightBazaar; 05-01-2009 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM

4,981 posts, read 7,758,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Sorry folks, but the human race is going to die out. You'll be dead and gone one day too. No special treatment for you either. We all carry inside us the seeds of our own demise. All species come to an end.
I agree with you Woof. The human race will someday become extinct. There might be one of two scenaros. Either another species will branch off from homo sapiens, with homo sapiens most likely becoming extinct, or the human race will eventually die out with no other related species branching off from it. Those are best case scenarios. It's also possible we could all bite the dust because of any number of possible or unforeseen catastrophic events.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
What will cause the demise of the human race? Simple; humans.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
True, from a biologists point of view. However, humans have one thing that no other species possess; science. And the only way that we could really survive is to eventually leave the planet.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

I think it helps understanding that no one ever dies because of old age. They die because parts of the body become weak or damaged, or because of defective genetics.
Um, this is (almost) the definition of aging. Every time a cell divides it divides into a mirror image of itself, however, a portion of the genetic code becomes corrupted, damaged, or just plain goes missing; so this mirror image contains the new (very slightly) altered genetic information. It's the same way that cancer works. Repeat every second of everyday.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:14 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,732,374 times
Perhaps the Swine Flu

Old 05-01-2009, 05:18 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
nothing. but its guna get rougher.
we will remember these as the easy days.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,765,860 times
I was just a few thousand years ago that people started having blue eyes. It wasn't a significant change, but there could be other things going on that we don't know about. Even a little change could be significant, and that change could have both pluses and minuses or any combination thereof.

If we had a good sampling of people, say a thousand years ago or ten thousand, and looked at their genetic maps, I wonder if we would notice a difference? Did they have ADHD back then? Autism? Are we better able to fight diseases such as the avian flue (current medical attention aside) than they were, assuming the current flu existed then? Maybe that is a bad question, because we've been fighting an ongoing battle with germs and viruses for a long time -- but you get the point, I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology