U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 AM

4,990 posts, read 7,774,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well i definately do not have Bridey Murphy syndrome as i have no specific recollections of an historical event but instead it's always kind of been a strong ''feel'' to the 1920's in a general sense .

Anyway how cool it is to see the research into our Genome and DNA advance as it's just like software in a computer .

I had a feeling you probably don't have Bridey Murphy syndrome. Hmm. Now how could I have known that? Deja vu?

The Bridey Murphy subject was simply a single example I used to show how that turned out to be much different in reality than it first appeared to be. Those results were based on regressive hypnosis. In that case, it turned out to be an honest misunderstanding of the original conclusion. Personally, I find the investigation of the Bridey Murphy details just as interesting as the original story itself. Regressive hypnosis was used on Betty and Barney Hill to reveal an "alien abduction", and is sometimes used to help crime victims recall certain repressed details. Although some people may disagree, regressive hypnosis doesn't seem to be very reliable.

It would be absurd to completely chalk off feelings as something meaningless because we all have feelings, and we have them for a reason. Is what you described about the 1920's just a feeling? Or could it be an impression?

I agree that it's interesting the Gernome and DNA seem similar in some ways to a computer program. Part of what I previously described has to do with what's thought of as the Hive Mind, also known as Group Mind or Collective Consciousness. I personally think with the passage over larger time spans, things become more diluted. But that doesn't mean they've completely disappeared. They've become integrated as part of who we are today. If you could look at humanity as a whole from a distance, like watching a colony of ants, you'd find some interesting similarities that all people have in common. Of course, there is also variation among individuals as well.

The title of the thread is "Generational Memories: Reincarnation or DNA". To me, the idea of reincarnation doesn't apply to life on the planet. Instead, we are the result of the process of reproduction. There may be what could be regarded as certain kinds of "memories" of the Gernome or DNA. But its not the same kind of memory as human consciousness. Our DNA doesn't think any more than a brick can think. It's part of the remarkable building blocks that together enable us to be who we are - human beings.

It's amazing to think that a combination of organic compounds managed to pull together to form some kind of microbial proto-blob of life. And for some reason, that blob managed to split in half to become two blobs. The rest is history and here we are. A complex arrangement of blobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,767,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
well i'll try. . . .

its a theory that matter in a certain space has a "memory" of events that took place within it.

its theorized that this matter could then re-enact certain events, appearing as a paranormal "ghost-like" situation.

but, it would have to be assumed that the matter does not move from this place.

its been a few years since i've read anything about it, so that's about the best i can remember on explaining it.
Quote:
Interesting Southgeorgia, as i wonder if you can elaborate more about ''memory matter''.

6/3
When a memory is created (or stored, depending on how you want to look at it), there is a certain bio-chemical process that happens at the exact same moment as the experience. In essence, recording the event onto the cells and being filed away sort of like a CD collection. In order to recall a memory, that exact same bio-chemical process must be reenacted in order to recall, or relive a memory or piece of information. That is why people with head trauma, chronic alcoholism/drug use, certain disease, etc. can have great difficulty recalling memory or even at times recalling memories that never happened because the way that their bio-chemical process normally functions has been altered. The good news is that you can build up and train your muscle memory just like body builders can build up muscles.

If genetic traits can be passed down from generation to generation I suppose that it would be plausible to also pass along genes that were pre-disposed to create certain memories or feelings if the bio-chemical process was just right.

It wouldn't be the most bizarre thing ever realized.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 AM

I had no idea of this little known secret about reincarnation.

I think thatís beyond my mortal powers ę Engrish Funny: Engrish Pictures That Is Your Funny Engrish

Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,005,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The good news is that you can build up and train your muscle memory just like body builders can build up muscles.
Yep ... crossword puzzles .

Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 AM

8,188 posts, read 21,767,384 times
Quote:

Is my ''deja vu'' of the 1920's that i've always have had since i was a little kid possibly be from an ancestor who lived back then stored in my neuronal DNA?
I am really into WWII history. I have been fascinated by that event since at least 11 or 12 years of age. There have been moments when I wondered if I was a soldier during that war because I would sometimes harbor deep emotions regarding that event. Maybe I was, but reflecting back onto my early years reveals a possible explanation; My dad watched a lot of WWII movies when I was young. Especially those with John Wayne, who my old man idolized. Some of my earliest, and fondest memories of childhood involve lounging around on a lazy Sunday with my dad watching these movies, which could explain the 'emotional attachment' to the subject. My dad was also in the Army during the opening days of America's involvement in Vietnam, but he never saw any action. So maybe that is a part of it as well. And, it was fairly common for young boys of my age to play 'Army Ranger' or 'Paratrooper' and run around the neighborhood with plastic or wooden guns hunting down the Japs.

I do not fully write off the possibility that I am the reincarnation of some fallen soldier, but the above could also explain my interest and feelings. Coincidence?

Is it possible that your parents were into Flapper movies when you were younger? Did you grow up in an area that still had a lot of art decco architecture?

Quote:
Yep ... crossword puzzles .
Yup. Crosswords are a good way to exercise your brain muscle. Supposedly, a crossword a day will (or at least can) ward off the diminished mental capabilities that often come with old age.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 AM

This might might not directly answer the subject of the thread, but understanding a little about what happens in the brain might shed a little explanation on how events and experiences throughout our life help form our thoughts, whether those thoughts are conscious or subconscious. This biological process is incredibly complex and nothing short of remarkable.

YouTube - The Miracle in Human Brain

YouTube - Neurons-How they work-Human Brain

Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Is it possible that your parents were into Flapper movies when you were younger? Did you grow up in an area that still had a lot of art decco architecture?
Nope as my mom hated them and my dad like your's watched the 1940's war movies and cowboy westerns but i remember watching alot of movies from the 30's by myself on sunday morings back in the 70's when i was kid as for example the Tarzan series (Johnny Weissmuller), The Three Stooges, Andy Hardy, Shirley Temple etc.. and being glued to the tube when they came on. Even now my favorite channel is TCM especially when it's the late 20's and 30's movies.

Anyway maybe it's just an innocent infactuation with the 1920's but when i read the article about our memory being stored in our DNA it had me pondering all this.

Great discussion guys .

Old 05-17-2009, 07:17 PM

Thanks for posting the youtube clips .. NightBazzar

Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting the youtube clips .. NightBazzar

It's both fascinating and jaw-dropping to see how the process works at that level of detail. At the same time, seing it like that can somewhat raise the question about the nature of what we perceive to be reality which in itself is rather flexible and subject to change.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,694,093 times
It's hard to say, but I do not believe that your life experience is recorded on your DNA.

Why? It does not really change during your lifetime (for the most part) and there is no real active mechanism to do so.

Now, this does not mean that DNA does not effect memories, or what and how you learn things. I think it can be thought of more along the line of what your body and your ancestors evolved to to best fit in the area they lived in and the situations they had to deal with. Just like certain media stores some thnigs better than others (a good example would be audio recording media. Some substrates are better than others, and some materials are better to use to extract this back from the media. The old "rosewood handle" kind of thing on a record player).

Being better able to remember visual clues and other abstracts is difficult to measure directly, but may give you more of a feeling of comfort when you are in an envirnment you are more "in sync" with.

As for De Ja Vu, that is another difficult thing to explain directly. But one thing we all seem to ignore is how imperfetly we remember things. Only the Idiot Savants can remember things exactly, because someonthing is not working properly in their associative memory and filters.

We do not remember things exatly. We remember bits and pieces, and our brain fills in the rest. This has been proven with things like eye-witness facial recognition tests where people will remember certain key features but when presented with a person that has similar features, although something else that is obviously different when directly compared, cannot tell the two apart from memory alone.

But one thing we do remember is generalities. We evolved to be able to indirectly associate stuff like "claws can hurt" and just because we have never seen a tiger before does not mean we cannot assume some things that might keep us alive.

Some of these memories are not itemized and direct, and can be stored in the back of our head. Our subconcious is an infuriatingly annoying thing that comstantly gives us "feelings" about things that we have probably already seen at noe time in our lives but do not directly remember.

And then our concious mind goes into filling the gaps. We get a "feeling" we have been somewhere before, and then we see that darn black cat twice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology