U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,983,245 times

Advertisements

I've pondered this question over the years about why some people supposedly have extensive memories going back for generations as it was always equated to possible Reincarnation (if you believe that) but i always thought that if our DNA can carry our physical traits from generations back then why not our memories too?

This latest study shows how the DNA stores long term memory in our neurons so why couldn't these be passed on from generation to generation.

Is my ''deja vu'' of the 1920's that i've always have had since i was a little kid possibly be from an ancestor who lived back then stored in my neuronal DNA?

Anythoughts??

Even though it's a dec 2008 article i just read it today and posted it for those interested.
Memories may be stored on your DNA - life - New Scientist
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 04:32 PM

1,940 posts, read 7,969,521 times
This could fall along the lines of "memory matter", which is sometimes used to explain paranormal phenomena.

Its an interesting article.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,186,445 times
Wooohooo! 6/3!! This is a subject that fascinates me and I have long felt that deja vu and "reincarnation" are probably linked somehow to cellular memory. We just haven't fully worked out how yet.

I won't begin to profess any kind of comprehensive knowledge of DNA and microbiology but it makes sense to me that character traits and memory are not just learned behaviours but are also part of our DNA coding. One only has to look at people who are a "chip off the old block" but that have had limited or no interaction with their blood relatives. I've noted this many times and find it particularly interesting to note when children of adoption are reunited with their birth parents.

In terms of a deja vu experience I can only say that when I was in Ireland I had the most surreal experience of deja vu. A sense that I was home, a supreme happiness and complete acceptance that I was where I was supposed to be, that I'd been there before and knew it well. It was a familiarity on a most intrinsic level. Something I've only ever experienced before when arriving back home in Australia. Given that I've spent my entire life in Australia, always considered myself Australia and never really spent that much time thinking about Ireland or my Irish ancestors prior to going there, I always felt that something greater was at play. Being an atheist I played with the idea of the supernatural, higher power but dismissed it again as not the correct explanation. It was not long after I got back that I started reading about cellular memory and to me that seems to fit. I really hope they can develop this research and find the answers we seek.

Reckon your ancestor from the 1920's and mine from way back in Ireland must have lead very interesting lives that made their memories so strong as to be passed along!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
This could fall along the lines of "memory matter", which is sometimes used to explain paranormal phenomena.

Its an interesting article.
Interesting Southgeorgia, as i wonder if you can elaborate more about ''memory matter''.

6/3

Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post

In terms of a deja vu experience I can only say that when I was in Ireland I had the most surreal experience of deja vu. A sense that I was home, a supreme happiness and complete acceptance that I was where I was supposed to be, that I'd been there before and knew it well. It was a familiarity on a most intrinsic level. Something I've only ever experienced before when arriving back home in Australia. Given that I've spent my entire life in Australia, always considered myself Australia and never really spent that much time thinking about Ireland or my Irish ancestors prior to going there, I always felt that something greater was at play. Being an atheist I played with the idea of the supernatural, higher power but dismissed it again as not the correct explanation. It was not long after I got back that I started reading about cellular memory and to me that seems to fit. I really hope they can develop this research and find the answers we seek.

Reckon your ancestor from the 1920's and mine from way back in Ireland must have lead very interesting lives that made their memories so strong as to be passed along!

Now that's really interesting about your experiences when you were in Ireland. I remember when i was a little kid and when i visited my grandparents in the 70's they would watch the Waltons ...lol... and that was the first time i remember how i felt i belonged or identified to that decade and that feeling has never left me especially the more i've studied about it over the years.

Anyway like the study showed that our DNA can store memory in our current life then it should be able to pass it along from other previous generations just like height or skin, eye, hair color, whether we are skinny, medium or heavy in our weight etc... when expressed from our ancestors.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 PM

1,940 posts, read 7,969,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Interesting Southgeorgia, as i wonder if you can elaborate more about ''memory matter''.

6/3
well i'll try. . . .

its a theory that matter in a certain space has a "memory" of events that took place within it.

its theorized that this matter could then re-enact certain events, appearing as a paranormal "ghost-like" situation.

but, it would have to be assumed that the matter does not move from this place.

its been a few years since i've read anything about it, so that's about the best i can remember on explaining it.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,186,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Now that's really interesting about your experiences when you were in Ireland. I remember when i was a little kid and when i visited my grandparents in the 70's they would watch the Waltons ...lol... and that was the first time i remember how i felt i belonged or identified to that decade and that feeling has never left me especially the more i've studied about it over the years.

Anyway like the study showed that our DNA can store memory in our current life then it should be able to pass it along from other previous generations just like height or skin, eye, hair color, whether we are skinny, medium or heavy in our weight etc... when expressed from our ancestors.
I completely agree 6/3! And I think it's already been shown that we do get a lot of "memory" from our ancestors in terms of "instinct" and characteristics so I have no problem with the idea that would also encompass "memory". I'm stoked to discover that you have also come to this conclusion.

Can't begin to tell you how confusing it was in Ireland. The sensation of recognizing somewhere you know you've never been before, of having an emotional response to it when you know there's no reason to be having one. And the connection. Very odd sensation.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,764,903 times
This is just my own personal opinion.

Did Ya View?
I'm inclined to think deja vu is probably like a perceptional 'hiccup' giving a weird impression of familiarity that seems like a memory or recollection of something you've never actually experienced before. Thus that feeling of "Whoa, I've never been here before but everything seems familiar." If this hiccup is only a split fraction of a second long, then it may be enough to cause a feeling of familiar, because when the hiccup is settled, you resume where you left off (mentally speaking) before the hiccup, thus a sense of familiarity.

It may also be that such a hiccup may cause a tiny interference or change in the path of the electro-chemical activity within the brain that doesn't alter everything in your mind, but perhaps just enough to give a momentary feeling of weirdness. In other words, it causes hormones, chemicals, and electric charges to stray slightly in the brain. When we experience weird, strange or unfamiliar things, it causes confusion in the mind. The brain does a rapid mental inventory of things we know about to find an answer regardless of whether the 'answer' is accurate or not.

Born Over and Over Again?
As for reincarnation, I suppose it depends on how a person defines it. If it's to mean have we lived past lives before, the answer is no. The reason has to do with the unique individuality of each person that can only occupy a particular place at a particular point in time.

On the other side of the coin, we are made of genetic material that has been passed along for as long as life has been able to reproduce. There are indeed changes and variations at the genetic level with each generation, which is why life evolves the way it does. It's part of adapting to changes. A number of things can trigger genetic changes. However, those changes are very small. It would take an extremely long time to see any difference, apart from a noticable genetic defect. As the population increases, human genetics become both more diluted and more diverse.

Can memories of someone from say 10,000 years ago become a genetic part of our own memory? Genetically, probably not. But certainly some aspect of the mind of everyone who has ever lived contributes some degree of influence to those who come after. But I believe that's part of the exchange of knowledge from experiences. Some mammal millions of years ago had to figure out it was a good idea to try to avoid becoming some predator's snack. Certain physical sensations, right down to feeling blades of grass brushing your leg would have an effect, even if only a small almost unnoticable effect, to an individual long ago. All the things a person sees and experiences imparts some degree of influence in that person's mind which in turn has some effect on that person's behavior and thinking.

So, some things have been passed down from generation to generation for as long as life has been able to sense and perceive things. The more generations that pass, the more dilute that kind of sharing becomes. But even though it's at a point that we don't consciously think about it, its become integrated by means of the interaction between parents and children and other people we come into contact with. It's part of the process of learning.

It can still contribute to genetic changes, but the ability to recall a different memory from someone long ago, is probably not part of it, at least not directly. I think a lot of what people think is a perception of past lives largely involves what we know or have learned in the course of our own lives. There are a lot of things we don't consciously think of, but it's still buried away in our mind and can surface when needed if conditions are right.

The Reincarnation of Bridey Murphy
I'm thinking of Bridey Murphy, a shocking case of a woman who underwent regressive hypnosis. It's a good story to read. Her mind went back to a memory of an Irish woman who lived a couple of hundred years or so before she was born. A detailed account about Bridey's life, family, marriage, town, etc., was given, strongly suggesting evidence, proof, of reincarnation. But was it true?

It was certainly considered very sensational at the time, but little research was done at the time to verify the facts. Long after the book was written, more detailed research was done. The town never existed, nor did a woman named Bridey Murphy, nor the husband she married. What was discovered is that the woman who underwent hypnosis, as a child knew a man named Bridy Murphy who lived in her town, and came from Ireland. She probably heard plenty of vivid stories about Ireland. But as she grew older, she forgot about it. Under hypnosis, some of her own memories were recalled and others forgotten. Because hypnosis involves suggestion, it would be easy to imagine going back through time to a time long before she was born. Her own mind was taking unrelated bits and pieces and mentally putting herself in the picture. So it seems the regressive hypnosis she experienced was not evidence of reincarnation after all.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The Reincarnation of Bridey Murphy
I'm thinking of Bridey Murphy, a shocking case of a woman who underwent regressive hypnosis. It's a good story to read. Her mind went back to a memory of an Irish woman who lived a couple of hundred years or so before she was born. A detailed account about Bridey's life, family, marriage, town, etc., was given, strongly suggesting evidence, proof, of reincarnation. But was it true?

It was certainly considered very sensational at the time, but little research was done at the time to verify the facts. Long after the book was written, more detailed research was done. The town never existed, nor did a woman named Bridey Murphy, nor the husband she married. What was discovered is that the woman who underwent hypnosis, as a child knew a man named Bridy Murphy who lived in her town, and came from Ireland. She probably heard plenty of vivid stories about Ireland. But as she grew older, she forgot about it. Under hypnosis, some of her own memories were recalled and others forgotten. Because hypnosis involves suggestion, it would be easy to imagine going back through time to a time long before she was born. Her own mind was taking unrelated bits and pieces and mentally putting herself in the picture. So it seems the regressive hypnosis she experienced was not evidence of reincarnation after all.

Well i definately do not have Bridey Murphy syndrome as i have no specific recollections of an historical event but instead it's always kind of been a strong ''feel'' to the 1920's in a general sense .

Anyway how cool it is to see the research into our Genome and DNA advance as it's just like software in a computer .

Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,812,304 times
I can somewhat relate, there's a couple of things that I feel strong ties to:

- Montenegro (the country on the Adriatic)
- the Serbo-Croatian language

Montenegro is easily explained. It's where my dad's from, and where my dad's family is from. When I ended up going to his old village when I visited, it was amazing. Just an overwhelming sense of..."wow"

And also, the language is easily explained as well. Hmm.

In fact, there's quite a few things I kind of have strong bonds to for unknown reasons, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology