Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times

Advertisements

Artificial intelligence is likely to out pace any developments in DNA engineering with respect to the brain. Organic life is not well suited outside of this planet, we, or genetic engineered version of us are unlikely to be the future. The future is in silicone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Curious of what everyone's opinions are on the subject of DNA engineering. Will current human species develop new human species that will make us obsolete within next 100 to 200 years.
I think that if the technology becomes available, every expecting parent will want to use it on their children.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It's possible, even probable that homo sapiens will eventually become extinct. As it is, we're at the end of the line. Keep in mind that neanderthal and homo sapiens are two different species. We evolved from homo erectus.
Homo erectis ???

Oh that's right, we white folks hale from Africans. Someone needs to tell them Europe only conquered them for their own good. If we had'nt come by, they still be killing each other with Bows N Arrows, Sticks and Rocks rather than the sophisticated inventions we Higher Evolutionary Thinkers gave them like the Assault Rifles, Granades, Landmines, anti-personel carrier weapons, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar
Exactly why neanderthal became extinct is still a matter of debate. Some think they simply couldn't compete for resources as well as homo erectus at the time of the ice age. Others think interbreeding may have been the cause. I wouldn't doubt that some interbreeding probably took place, but the offspring most likely would have been sterile and incapable of reproduction. Two different species.
You know, the Evolutionary stories and fables are almost on par and entertaining as the Creationist Myths. Maybe Hollywood would be interested in some of this stuff, since they are constantly on the lookout for new material.

Quote:
We'll either continue to evolve into a new species, or we'll die out. If a new species comes along, it's likely we'd co-exist with them for a long time to come. In comparison to past species, we haven't been around all that long, so there's no reason to think we'd vanish from the planet in the next 100 to 200 years. I'd say add about three more zeros. Of course, that assumes we don't perish in the meantime. I suppose within the next couple hundred years, we may have a better understanding of genetic engineering to develop a version that's much more hardy than we are and have higher mental abilities than we do.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Young earth Creationist. I believe the universe, right down to our very earth has been here for millions of years, perhaps billions. But mankind has not been around for the outrageous 200,000 years that has been a commonly espoused by the much worshipped intellects of our modern day. If they had been, we would'nt now be here having this discussion. Mankind would have turned this planet with all of it's marvelous ecosystems and lifeforms into a burnt out cinder Eons ago. There is evidence that the inhabitants of Easter Island , the Maori of New Zealand, and even the Anazasi from the Four Corners region of the USA all disappeared because they destroyed their habitats and these were the very people who did use bows N arrows, sticks and rocks.

Here's a video/movie that really illustrates the extreme length of time it took for our Earth to become the perfect Home and the relatively short time it's taken the modern day geniuses to take the lead in helping all of us to destroy it. One Hundred - Two Hundred Years left ??? I'd give it 25, 50 at a liberal best.

Runs for about an hour and a half, so put aside the time. YouTube - homeprojects kanal

Quote:
Regardless, if a new species does pop up in the future, it'll be the result of a long process of gradual change. If we genetically 'create' a new species, then we'd most likely co-exist together until we finally become museum exhibits.
Well, if some new so-called human species appeared any time soon, I'm sure Monsanto and the U.S. Government had something to do with it.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:16 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
So you are saying it would happen in steps. First upgrades to certain functions of the mind, and the body itself. Over time these developments would lead to a more advanced form of what we are. Could that not happen because of reasons like medical advances and such?
It could not happen in anything but steps, you were not imagining everyone being normal one day and advanced the next, were you? It won't be a matter of improving the living, it will be a matter of improving before birth. Thus, it will be old style humans who are raising the species who will be eventually replacing them.

Further, unless the future is going to be a united world under a single government with all nations having equal resources and wealth, the engineering project would be a matter of the wealthy nations being able to do it while the impoverished ones cannot. This would create a world where the gulf between the wealthy nations and the poor ones became even more immense since the rich ones would be now be populated by the super smart, disease free uberfolk.

This have/have not dynamic would be compounded by the need of the advanced neokind to still have some of the non advanced types around to take care of the menial jobs which are now light years beneath the talent and dignity of the engineered people. (unless of course the future brings us robots to be the custodians and security guards etc)

So, understand, before there could be a future featuring an entirely replaced species of humanity, there would have to be an extended transitional phase and that would be one marked by enormous gulfs and serial animosities.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
Wiki article:
Mitochondrial Eve (mt-mrca) is the name given by researchers to the woman who is defined as the matrilineal most recent common ancestor (MRCA) for all currently living humans. Passed down from mother to offspring, her mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is now found in all living humans: every mtDNA in every living person is derived from hers...

She lived approximately 170,000 years ago.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
I have read several articles discussing the future evolution of man, and the progression of a controlled evolution with man using both the mechanical tools we are now developing, and the manipulation of our DNA to extend our lives. The ability to reach beyond the constraints of our own organic bodies will be a necessity if humanity is to reach beyond this planet and into the universe. For this reason I see no way to avoid this form of mechanical/organic evolution in the future.

I don’t know if I would call this evolution as we define it today. The replacement of organic body parts, nano technology, and implanted micro chips would be man controlled evolution, but because the traits would not be written in our genetic codes they could never be considered a pure form of evolution as defined today. It may require the definition of evolution to evolve as well, or require the species to form a subspecies which include forms of human mechanical modifications.

If we hope to extend humanity to other planets, we will have to develop a mechanical based hybrid human with the ability to withstand the issues related to harsh environments, and time while working to (for lack of a better word) seed humanity on other planets. We will have to have reached this ability in a few billion years when our sun reaches its expansion stage or we will perish as an organic based life form.

This is all assuming we survive as a species that long. We seem hell bent on killing off our planet, and all other organic life forms on it now so this may all be a mute point.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Considering that the genetic traits for the people of Neandertal valley in Germany are still present in modern day europeans, I don't think so.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,949,671 times
I think the human mind has evolved to a point that we will be able to alter our own DNA structure much faster than nature itself, but are we not part of nature. So is it really just nature evolving itself, but at a much faster rate because nature(DNA) has become sentient. It just means nature can think now. Does not have to rely on random mutations to change, but can actually decided what to do to itself. No one could of even imagined the computer or the internet 100 years ago. So what is to say that 100 to 200 years from now we will have not created a form of man way more sophisticated than we are. I realize to be a new species though it will not be able to breed with current form of man. Guess that opens up all kinds of ethical questions. Do you create something better than yourself. It kind of like bringing an alien invasion on the human race yourself. Nature has always tried to make things that are more adaptable, and our current human mind seems to be the perfect tool for nature to do that.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 AM

Default So your saying we are just evolved neanderthals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Considering that the genetic traits for the people of Neandertal valley in Germany are still present in modern day europeans, I don't think so.

I think the human mind has evolved to a point that we will be able to alter our own DNA structure much faster than nature itself, but are we not part of nature. So is it really just nature evolving itself, but at a much faster rate because nature(DNA) has become sentient. It just means nature can think now. Does not have to rely on random mutations to change, but can actually decided what to do to itself. No one could of even imagined the computer or the internet 100 years ago. So what is to say that 100 to 200 years from now we will have not created a form of man way more sophisticated than we are. I realize to be a new species though it will not be able to breed with current form of man. Guess that opens up all kinds of ethical questions. Do you create something better than yourself. It kind of like bringing an alien invasion on the human race yourself. Nature has always tried to make things that are more adaptable, and our current human mind seems to be the perfect tool for nature to do that.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Default I think it will happen very fast i.e. 100 to 200 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It could not happen in anything but steps, you were not imagining everyone being normal one day and advanced the next, were you? It won't be a matter of improving the living, it will be a matter of improving before birth. Thus, it will be old style humans who are raising the species who will be eventually replacing them.

Further, unless the future is going to be a united world under a single government with all nations having equal resources and wealth, the engineering project would be a matter of the wealthy nations being able to do it while the impoverished ones cannot. This would create a world where the gulf between the wealthy nations and the poor ones became even more immense since the rich ones would be now be populated by the super smart, disease free uberfolk.

This have/have not dynamic would be compounded by the need of the advanced neokind to still have some of the non advanced types around to take care of the menial jobs which are now light years beneath the talent and dignity of the engineered people. (unless of course the future brings us robots to be the custodians and security guards etc)

So, understand, before there could be a future featuring an entirely replaced species of humanity, there would have to be an extended transitional phase and that would be one marked by enormous gulfs and serial animosities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology