U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,582,188 times

Advertisements

The TESLA Foundation of North America

Tesla coil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla Coil

Can you really transmitt electricity wirelessly over long distances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:28 PM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
AM radio and all radio and tv broadcasts transmit electrical energy wirelessly over long distances. Teslas idea of broadcast power would have sorta worked, but have had some major bad side effects. For one, it would jam most radio and tv signals, for another, it could have created problems with some of the charged layers of the atmosphere, and it could have created an ozone rich environment.

Early "radio" transmission was nothing more than a spark gap and a couple of tuned loops of wire.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:32 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,040,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
The TESLA Foundation of North America

Tesla coil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla Coil

Can you really transmitt electricity wirelessly over long distances?
I watched a special on Tesla tonight....I never realized truly how much of a genius he is...even responsible for and predicting numerous scientific breakthroughs. AND Edison never paying Tesla the royalty monies he was owed, what a travesty. EVEN today we take his genius for granted and remember Edison more...not that he was not a genius also but ripping off Tesla is inexcuseable.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 PM

258 posts, read 388,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I watched a special on Tesla tonight....I never realized truly how much of a genius he is...even responsible for and predicting numerous scientific breakthroughs. AND Edison never paying Tesla the royalty monies he was owed, what a travesty. EVEN today we take his genius for granted and remember Edison more...not that he was not a genius also but ripping off Tesla is inexcuseable.

I saw that on the history channel tonight also. He was a genius. He also invented the x-ray but someone else got the noble prize 7years later, and invented the fluorescent light bulb almost a hundred years ago. Wonder what was in the papers that the government took during WW2 after his death. Makes you wonder. To bad they can not perfect his death ray in time for the North Korean missle launch!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 9,180 times
Tesla's idea for wireless transmission of power was truly ingenious... he started out by building an expirimental station up here in Colorado by Colorado Springs, that used a huge magnified tesla coil to shoot super high voltage into the earth, in order to see if the charge would bounce back off the opposite side of the planet (sorta like a parabolic microphone). Then he figured out the resonant frequency of the planet (approx 10hz) and planned to use the entire planet as a conductor for super high voltage, Extremely Low Frequency current. He claimed that at the voltages he used, the planet behaved similar to a small metal ball as far as conductivity. This would not mess up radio, since the power station also had incorporated into it a world television/radio/telegraph/fax/cell phone system, which he called "world telegraphy". This was scrapped by J.P. Morgan who was terrified that he, the world's richest man, might not keep squeezing the money out of the general populace. He thought it could not be metered, even though Tesla had already patented several wireless power meters. This would really FSU today though, since all our electric appliances use the ground connection to dump excess charge, and his system would actually deliver through that connection. Such is life, my friend. Perhaps being 2-300 years ahead of your time can have its negative side, such as effectively being accused of modern day witchcraft and being burned at the stake out of fear for the status quo. k, getting off my soapbox now

Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,180 times
One side note... the planet earth is a gigantic electric generator, and he realized that, the metal core interacts with the ionosphere to form a huge floating spherical dynamo, the discharges of which in the "spark gap" we generally call lightning. if only we had a genius of his calibre come along that would also be able to grasp the importance of being fiscally shrewd (but not greedy). Unfortunately, most geniuses are almost retarded when it comes to finances and they get the communal shaft.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,526,857 times
it works in command and conquer. I blow tanks up with those and fry infantry.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM

1,940 posts, read 7,966,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwurky1 View Post
This would really FSU today though, since all our electric appliances use the ground connection to dump excess charge

that doesn't work the way you think it does.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 AM

6,457 posts, read 5,906,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
it works in command and conquer. I blow tanks up with those and fry infantry.
The Particle Cannon.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
He sure was a friggin genius as i'd rate him over Einstein and of course the world uses his AC current over Edison's DC current everyday for most uses (except batteries and solar cells etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology