Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,798,475 times

Advertisements

Al Gore on Tuesday compared the battle against climate change with the struggle against the Nazis.
The former vice president said the world lacked the political will to act and invoked the spirit of Winston Churchill by encouraging leaders to unite their nations to fight climate change.
He also accused politicians around the world of exploiting ignorance about the dangers of global warming to avoid difficult decisions.

Al Gore: Climate-Change Fight Like Battle Against Nazis - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,117,224 times
In all fairness, it is similar in that nobody wanted to do anything about Hitler until he was knocking at their door.

Hell, we did very little until Japan bombed us, even though our allies were being pummeled.

So now we are faced with something that might cause significant problems throughout a world that based its settlements on an oceanic colonization and trade pattern (building at or around sea level), that no leader really wants to step up and face because it would mean less than a plasma screen TV in every pot.

God forbid we impose restrictions, tariffs and sanctions that might effect the profit margins of one of our campaign contributors!!!

When Capitalism starts gaining too much head, and "free market" is proven again and again to bite not only the hand that fed it, but anything else it can chew on, it is no surprise that our own governmental (and many other nations) system is being dictated by its appetite.

But if you keep ignoring the fields, and you keep ignoring the farms and the things that keep them growing, you eventually run out of things to eat. And that is when you start eating your neighbor.

Not raw!!!!
Not raw!!!!

Still, although he did use, what was it, Occam's razor?, here with him bringing up the Nazi's, I am sad to say, it bears a lot more resemblance to that than many other internet debates.

Just because the comparison has been used incorrectly to over-exaggerate a persons position in a discussion, does not eliminate its validity when applied to something closer in scope, scale, importance and overall meaning.

You do not compare a summer breeze to a tornado, but I am really not going to argue about the size of the bear that attacks me!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:29 AM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
You do know that there are ancient drawings in the Sahara that indicate it was a much cooler grassland with ample water at an early point in human history? You do know that Alexandria and some of the ancient cities around the Mediterranean are now under water? We have been in a warming trend for more years than CO2 has been an issue. The planet will get warmer with or without us. Gore figured a way to tax people and make money off it.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
When Al Gore practices what he preaches and starts preaching something that may actually contain more factual material instead of the sensationalized
propaganda maybe I might consider listening to what he has to say.

When Al gore says "we" have to make sacrifices what he really means is "You" have to make sacrifices.

Quote:
FOXNews.com - Gore's High Energy-Use Home Target of Critical Report - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Al Gore's posh home in the Nashville suburbs might be "carbon neutral," but it still uses a lot of power.

So much that last August Tipper and Al Gore used twice as much electricity in their two-building property as an average U.S. household uses in an entire year, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, a think tank, reported Tuesday.

Public power and turned up by the group show that the man behind the Oscar-winning global warming wakeup documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," uses much more overall carbon-based fuel than the average American, spending thousands of dollars a month on electricity and gas.

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367 (broken link)

He justifies his energy use because he pays a little extra for the energy and buys carbon offsets. A similar situation to the "indulgences" sold by the Catholic Church. The religious comparison is on purpose.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,688,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When Al Gore practices what he preaches and starts preaching something that may actually contain more factual material instead of the sensationalized
propaganda maybe I might consider listening to what he has to say.

When Al gore says "we" have to make sacrifices what he really means is "You" have to make sacrifices.

WOW...someone else that really gets it ..

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,117,224 times
So you are opposed to him paying extra for the pollution his state cannot correct yet?

What should he do, stop paying? Are you saying he should just get what others are getting without paying any extra to try and fund the changes that need to be made?

And you quoted Fox News as a reliable source tor refutation? You know Fox is just riding the outrage train and taking people for all their commercial worth on their network. Don't even start by quoting them.

I am not refuting your entire statement, but referencing a station that caters to guys like O'Reiley does not make it a reputable criticism at face value. Has any other network (hell, NPR? BBC?) said somethnig similar?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,212,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Gore figured a way to tax people and make money off it.
That is the honest truth.

But for some reason, only a few of us realize this, and everyone else calls us crazy.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
I am not refuting your entire statement, but referencing a station that caters to guys like O'Reiley does not make it a reputable criticism at face value. Has any other network (hell, NPR? BBC?) said somethnig similar?
I would not trust those liberal biased media as far as I can through them and that includes NPR and the BBC.

Fox is the only network I trust!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:16 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Of course if you put a statement like that in print - be prepared to be proven wrong. So, to answer, yes they have - BBC news produced "The Great Global Warming Swindle".

It is or will be shown on PBS I think. Amazing, as this article indicates, people are actually SUING to make sure this show is not shown in Germany, as if a desenting opinion is criminal. And in Britian they got in trouble for having a news show that was not "impartial". LOL, which means it was not-impartial from the wrong political side.

German RTL-TV Shows BBC "Global Warming Swindle" Documentary Under Pressure From LaRouche Movement | LaRouchePAC (http://www.larouchepac.com/news/2007/06/14/german-rtl-tv-shows-bbc-global-warming-swindle-documentary-u.html - broken link)

Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM

I commend the BBC for showing some centrist backbone. The left had taken over the BBC. It is nice to see them be more even handed. I hope they are able to get the documentary circulated. In the meantime check out this abstract:

AAPG/Datapages, Inc. DOI Citation

ABSTRACT

Many scientific environmental studies involving geology are now becoming apparent. If we can convince the regulatory agencies to take advantage of our geologic knowledge to assess environmental problems, many unnecessary mandates can be modified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.