U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,691,283 times

Advertisements

Hybridization of the human race throu cybernetics would be interesting.

Kind of like a Ghost in the Machine kind of thing.

People get so scared of this, as if the Machines will take over, but what happens if we just have our own developed evolution that does not force one into extinction by execution, but just because people WANT to be able to have a HUD GPS in their head, or live to 250, or run at 25 MPH, or look like a model.

All our movies seem to harp on this as a bad thing, as if we will give up our freedoms because of this. Big Brother, Borg, Surrogates, The Matrix, Terminator. What happens when Robots get feelings? (AI?) What happens when nanomachines stop a stroke before it happens because they clear a clot in the brain?

What happens when we integrate with technology rather than be replaced by it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 995 times
I think that history might repeat ourselves, that we are the dinosaurs of now. The dinosaurs died from a meteor, causing a firestorm worldwide, right? So what if history was to repeat and WE were to get killed from an immense meteorite, causing a worldwide firestorm, and we might die out. And no, not everything comes to an end! Space never ends! Numbers never end! Energy never dies or ends, either! Stop being so pessimistic. True, SOME things come to an end, but not all of them.

We might also die from all the methane in Siberia underneath the permafrost below the lakes. Siberia's average temperatures rose 3 Celcius in the last ten years! That is a scorching 300 Celcius in just a century! There will be no life in Siberia from, according to my calculations, about 2030!
I feel very sad for all of the Siberians.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 PM

905 posts, read 2,109,359 times
^^ /coolface

Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM

713 posts, read 3,023,347 times
We will die by methane O.o

Vast Amounts of Frozen Methane Escaping into Atmosphere from Leak in Arctic Seafloor | Popular Science

Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 AM

680 posts, read 1,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Hybridization of the human race throu cybernetics would be interesting.
This could also lead to our extinction, though not by what you said in the rest of your post.

If we, through our ignorance and inflated sense of intelligence, decided as a species to control our own evolution, that could easily lead to our extinction. The information processing required for natural evolution and the prosperity of a species is far too chaotic and vast for our minds to grasp. If we cannot grasp it ourselves, we're likewise incapable of producing the computational models needed to help us survive.

I agree with those who've already said that our most likely doom will come from within the earth or from outside our solar system. Humans are so resourceful and spread so far about the planet that it's going to be difficult to get rid of all of us. We can prevent a repeat of "snowball earth" by initiating the release of mass quantities of greenhouse gases, and we can prevent catastrophic runaway global warming by limiting that same release during phases when the earth would naturally warm for other reasons. We can easily escape a global pandemic through genetic variation and isolated cases of natural immunity. Any event that could wipe out all of us would have to be on the level of the Permian extinction, and even then we might find a way to keep on ticking.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,344,716 times
It's hard to say whether a nuclear war, pollution, plague or climate change will get us first, but I think one or more will happen long before another big space visitor crashes into us.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:25 PM

335 posts, read 1,101,755 times
By our own arrogance.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:44 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,510,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Why can't this happen already, humanity has screwed things up bad.
Couldn't agree more. I'm sure this Planet is tired of being constantly aggravated by the irritation of "humans", equivalent to fleas on a dog. This was once a beautiful planet. And in some places still is. The places that DO NOT have people. Anything good that is discovered is quickly put to some kind of destructive menacing weapon. Or "super bug". All this planet had to contend with at one time were small and big reptiles without the ability to invent. Now She contends with air pollution, water pollution, sunken debris (contaminating oceans), including radioactive material, nuclear war head test sites, etc. I'd be pi**ed if someone kept beating on me. Polluting my sustenance. The overall ego of humankind has taken us down a dark path. As soon as someone said ..."we're at the top of the food chain" all hell broke loose. And with ALL that is going on in the world, we really do not deserve to inhabit this "house" anymore. The Earth will rid Herself of us in Her own way on Her own terms. I don't profess to hypothesize what the actual execution will be. But in the grand scale of things... "I wholeheartedly believe, whatever Her decision of execution, is deserved". We are guests here and the majority have lost sight of what really matters. RESPECT.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,526,857 times
Meteorite

Old 03-08-2010, 07:45 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,222,127 times
We won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology