Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM

262 posts, read 651,260 times

Advertisements

I can't concentrate worth..crap.

I can read relatively fast, although a lot of times I can't comprehend the content. I'm enrolled in college and when I did attend classes, I could not concentrate on what the professor was teaching, yet if I was given a text book and assigned readings on something interesting, I could score better on a test than most of the other students in the class.

I like to read, although I can't. Some people say that I'm smart, although I'm not.

Honestly...I feel as though I'm in a cloud, like someone put beer glasses on me and told me to walk in a straight line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times
Don't fret. I would say its hard for anyone to buckle down and concentrate on something you have zero interest in but it has to be done. I'm the same way for English and literature topics. I had to read Walden in high school. I read it but it was more or less just a succession of words to me because I didn't care about Henry David Thoreau's experience at the pond. On the other hand, I love math and science so when I read topics on that, everything sticks. That's just how a lot of people are.

Last edited by Adric; 01-24-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe you should take up a trade instead of going to college.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
That would be a great idea. Do you know how much a welder can make? It's amazing.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:51 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
HVAC tech makes boatloads of cash

Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Listening/watching and reading are different and they use different parts of your brain (I believe) so that might have something to do with it but I agree with everyone who stated that if you have no interest in the topic, it will be very though to stay focused. Also even on interesting topics, average person typically stays focused about 20-25 minutes so it is normal to lose your focus time-to-time if there is no fluctuation or change in rhythm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
HVAC tech makes boatloads of cash
Really? Out of curiosity I searched on indeed.com, starting pay can be as low as in the mid teens and typically goes to low 30s for a seasoned tech which hardly seemed "boatload" but I did hear about welders, especially good ones could make really good money. Perhaps being skilled in the field makes the biggest difference, if you are a sucky welder, then chances are you might even have hard time finding a job or keeping one for long?

Certain skilled jobs like welding pays especially well in remote locations like Alaska since there is even more demand but hardly any skilled workers.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Isn't that the case in all career fields?

The skilled people make the most money?

Too many people have been brainwashed into thinking college is the only career route, the OP sounds like one of them.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:11 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Really? Out of curiosity I searched on indeed.com, starting pay can be as low as in the mid teens and typically goes to low 30s for a seasoned tech which hardly seemed "boatload" but I did hear about welders, especially good ones could make really good money. Perhaps being skilled in the field makes the biggest difference, if you are a sucky welder, then chances are you might even have hard time finding a job or keeping one for long?

Well, let me say a boatload considering they dont need a college degree.
One of my buddies does heating and air conditioning and makes a ton of cash. He makes more money than me, and I graduated with a PhD not to mention he never has to look for work. People always need heating and/or cooling regardless of what time of year it is

Anyways I also have ADD (not ADHD) and had a rough time in school. We learn differently. It's hart to learn from someone just talking at us. We learn by doing something...repetition. Our brains seem to work faster so its hard to concentrate on a slow moving class room.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 PM

119 posts, read 226,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Isn't that the case in all career fields?

The skilled people make the most money?

Too many people have been brainwashed into thinking college is the only career route, the OP sounds like one of them.
Actually most jobs require either A) College B) LOTS of work experience or C) A combination of the two (For things like Mechanics and Welders substitute a vocational school) before they will even speak to you. Even for a job who's requirements are essentially the ability to type and use Microsoft Office they still want schooling. You can send in resumes all day, and they'll go into the circular file.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post
Actually most jobs require either A) College B) LOTS of work experience or C) A combination of the two (For things like Mechanics and Welders substitute a vocational school) before they will even speak to you. Even for a job who's requirements are essentially the ability to type and use Microsoft Office they still want schooling. You can send in resumes all day, and they'll go into the circular file.
I guess trade schools are unknown up in Alaska...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology