Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times

Advertisements

A new approach to windows that could let in more light and cut indoor lighting needs by up to 99% in buildings in Tropical regions without losing the cooling effect of shades. Details are reported in the International Journal of Engineering Systems Modelling and Simulation this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Well this isn't exactly something new, although it may be new for Thailand. There are a few companies in the states that manufacture a good Low-Emissivity - Double pane - argon gas filled windows.

One manufacturer in particular has an (I can't remember the name) from Nebraska (Lincoln or Omaha - not sure which) makes a unique Low-EmissivityGlass using GOLD as part of the formula for blocking the radiation from the sun which has the ability to shine through a window and warming any object it touches. That also is the major contributor towards your air-conditioning bill. Here's a way to illustrate what GOLD can and does do for glass. Take a look at this Astronaut Helmet. It has more GOLD than any average window. In fact in the Low-E Windows you can't even notice it's there. But here's the helmet.

Radiation would be a killer to an astronaut, so the face shield protection is a must. This Low-E Glass is incredible. If you've ever driven through the desert when it's 110 outside and you have the airconditioner going full blast, there may be an element of comfort, but have you ever noticed that the sun shining through that window and touching your skin still burns like crazy ??? Low-E would totally eliminate that feeling.

Here's a clip on what Low-Emissivity Window Glass is all about.

Low-emissivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other interesting feature about this company's window which is not only Low-E with Argon Gas filled between two panes of glass is that the complete extruded aluminum frame is separated between the windows by the same substance used in the manufacture of bowling balls. This likewise prevents either heat or cold transference from the outside to the inside. If you've ever lived in the cold then you've notice the cold wet condensation on the frame on the inside from the cold outside.

I have friends in Blythe , California whose electric bill was $1200 a month in the summer. They had an older home with older technology windows. After a complete window and door replacement, the bill went down to $300 average for summer time. I talked my mother into doing the same thing for her house in east San Diego County where Temps can often be over 100+ and not only was the house much cooler, but the noise level dropped significantly as well. We use to be able to here street and freeway traffic or someone pull into the driveway. Now it's dead quiet.

So yes, windows do make a difference even without upgrading insulation.

If anyone knows of the company I'm refering to, they also do aluminum siding, security doors, etc. I just can't remember the name, but they are in Nebraska. It's sort of a unique and funny name and is a family owned company. It's just that the name escapes me now.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 AM

221 posts, read 379,592 times
Andersen, maybe?

So, what if a person has the old 2 x 4 walls and the old wooden sash windows?
I driven down the street and have seen people pulling the siding off and building the
walls out to 2 X 6, putting that pink panther foam board on for more insulation, and then
installing 2 x 6 thick windows. If a person (like me) were handy with a hammer , saw etc.
how could they do this by themselves?
Does anyone know of where video/written directions are for this type of remodeling?
How do these people do this without extending the sill plate?

I worry about a double vapor barrier being created, thereby causing rot(mold) inside the walls.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
^^^Yep, I believe it Renewal by Andersen.
www.renewalbyandersen.com

Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limapie View Post
Andersen, maybe?

So, what if a person has the old 2 x 4 walls and the old wooden sash windows?
I driven down the street and have seen people pulling the siding off and building the
walls out to 2 X 6, putting that pink panther foam board on for more insulation, and then
installing 2 x 6 thick windows. If a person (like me) were handy with a hammer , saw etc.
how could they do this by themselves?
Does anyone know of where video/written directions are for this type of remodeling?
How do these people do this without extending the sill plate?

I worry about a double vapor barrier being created, thereby causing rot(mold) inside the walls.
Nope, I do remember Andersen was mentioned as one of their major competitors. The company I mentioned did'nt exactly have a store or showroom you could look at. They simply had a sales force all across the United States that went out to leads received from Tele-marketing or other advertisement. Irritates me that I can't remember the name since they've been around for years.

All I know is what the product did and any similiar product that does the same thing is well worth the investment and inprovement. I would do it above getting Solar Panels or any other energy eco savings idea. I also remember they were demonstrated as easy to clean as seen in this picture.

http://www.qualitywindowsystems.com/doublehung2.jpg (broken link)

Now one of the worst things my mother purchased and had installed was this type of minature greenhouse garden window for her kitchen. It faces south and has no Low-E value to it and in summer the kitchen is the hottest place in the house and transmits some of that heat to the diningroom & livingroom. Just a bad idea and tough to clean. Plants get cooked to death if not babied every day. Looks wonderful in the brouchure and at the home improvement store. Has alot of that Ooooooooooo factor for which my mother gets famously suckered all the time with, but it can be a nightmare. If I inherit that house, that window is a gonner!!!

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.windows.redlaw-search.com/images/garden-window.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
The point of the article is that the team came up with a formula to calculate optimal usage of windows, not about the materials for windows. "The team has developed a formula for tropical sky climate conditions that allows them to assess different window configurations for daylighting. The formula takes into account glass type, solar and visible light transmittance and reflectance, shading coefficient and the heat insulation value, U."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology