U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,293,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The U.S. can change to decimalized currency when they pry my pounds, shillings, and pence from my cold, dead hands.

I'm too old to be relearning how to count and manage my money. I want back my:

* Guinea (21s.)
* Sovereign (20s.)
* Half guinea (10s. 6d.)
* Half sovereign (10s.)
* Double Crown (10s.)
* Quarter guinea (5s. 3d.)
* Crown (5s.)
* Double florin (4s.)
* Half crown (2s. 6d.)
* Florin (2s.)
* Shilling (1s.)
* Sixpence (6d.)
* Threepence (3d)
* Twopence (2d)
* Penny (1d.)
* Halfpenny (d.)
* Farthing (d.)

What is this dollars and cents nonsense anyway? It's too hard to use.

They even gave out this to help me but its useless:

What does the "Units of 10 New Pence" mean? It sounds confusing enough already.
Good one!

So who crammed that damned metric dollar down our throats, anyway? Must have been some pinkocommie Eurosissy. Ten cents to a dime, ten dimes to a dollar, ten one dollar bills to a ten dollar bill, ten ten dollar bills to a hundred dollar bill. It's too hard! I can't learn it! I'm too old to change! Waaaah, waaaaah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 AM

3,994 posts, read 7,910,569 times
List of Colonial units:
1. Length: inch, foot, yard, mile, fathom, rod, furlong, league, mil, pole, perch, hand, link, chain
2. Area: square inch, square foot, square yard, acre, square mile, township, square fathom, square rod, square furlong, square league, square mil, square pole, square perch, square hand, square link, square chain
3. Volume: gallon, liquid quart, dry quart, liquid pint, dry pint, fluid ounce, teaspoon, tablespoon, minim, fluid dram, gill, peck, bushel, cubic inch, cubic foot, cubic yard, cubic fathom, cubic rod, cubic furlong, cubic mile, cubic league, cubic mil, cubic pole, cubic perch, cubic hand, cubic link, cubic chain
4. Mass: pound, apoth. pound, ounce, apoth. ounce, dram, apoth. dram, grain, spoth. scruple, pennyweight, short hundredweight, long hundredweight, short ton, long ton
5. Force: pound, ton
6. Pressure: pounds per square inch, pounds per square foot, pounds per square yard, pounds per acre, pounds per square mile, pounds per township, pounds per square fathom, pounds per square rod, pounds per square furlong, pounds per square league, pounds per square mil, pounds per square pole, pounds per square perch, pounds per square hand, pounds per square link, pounds per square chain, tons per square inch, tons per square foot, tons per square yard, tons per acre, tons per square mile, tons per township, tons per square fathom, tons per square rod, tons per square furlong, tons per square league, tons per square mil, tons per square pole, tons per square perch, tons per square hand, tons per square link, tons per square chain
7. Energy: calorie, inch-pound, foot-pound, yard-pound, mile-pound, fathom-pound, rod-pound, furlong-pound, league-pound, mil-pound, pole-pound, perch-pound, hand-pound, link-pound, chain-pound, inch-ton, foot-ton, yard-ton, mile-ton, fathom-ton, rod-ton, furlong-ton, league-ton, mil-ton, pole-ton, perch-ton, hand-ton, link-ton, chain-ton
8. Power: horsepower, inch-pound per second, foot-pound per second, yard-pound per second, mile-pound per second, fathom-pound per second, rod-pound per second, furlong-pound per second, league-pound per second, mil-pound per second, pole-pound per second, perch-pound per second, hand-pound per second, link-pound per second, chain-pound per second, inch-ton per second, foot-ton per second, yard-ton per second, mile-ton per second, fathom-ton per second, rod-ton per second, furlong-ton per second, league-ton per second, mil-ton per second, pole-ton per second, perch-ton per second, hand-ton per second, link-ton per second, chain-ton per second
9. Temperature: degrees Fahrenheit

List of Metric units:
1. Length: meter
2. Area: square meter (are)--[EDITOR'S NOTE: The are is an older usage]
3. Volume: cubic meter (liter)--[A cubic decimeter is a Liter]
4. Mass: gram (metric ton)--[Correctly called a Megagram instead of a Metric Ton.]
5. Force: newton
6. Pressure: pascal
7. Energy: joule
8. Power: watt
9. Temperature: kelvin (degrees Celsius)--[Celsius is used outside of scientific applications.]

combined with none or one of the following [common] prefixes:

micro, milli, centi, deci, deca, hecto, kilo, mega

--From the Metric 4 US website.

Did anyone notice the similarity between the English monetary system and the English measuring system versus the Decimalized monetary and measuring systems?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,179,011 times
This is AMERICA!!!!! The best country on the planet. Maybe the rest of the world should switch to OUR system instead! If not, screw 'em.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
This is AMERICA!!!!! The best country on the planet. Maybe the rest of the world should switch to OUR system instead! If not, screw 'em.
This is America; "maybe the rest of the world switch to OUR system" and turn the clock back 400 years.

This is America, where we want to use bone-head systems of the Middle Ages. Heck, why stop with feet, ounces and ounces? Let's bring back the oil lamp, primitive medicine and 40-year life expectancy, too. Wouldn't that be a nice system for the rest of the world to pattern.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 PM

38,691 posts, read 82,109,020 times
It was a joke, son. Lighten up.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:17 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,179,011 times
Ummmm CRE8... Methinks you might have a few screws loose! LOL! 400 years ago this country didn't EXIST! America wasn't HERE in the middle ages! Amazing.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It was a joke, son. Lighten up.
I wasn't sure it was a joke like Ahmadinejad said there are no homosexuals in Iran.

Quote:
Ummmm CRE8... Methinks you might have a few screws loose! LOL! 400 years ago this country didn't EXIST! America wasn't HERE in the middle ages! Amazing.
Notice that I called the current system the Colonial system; the system that belongs with the King's rule over the 13 colonies.

Speaking of screws, don't you hate flathead and Phillips screws? The Robertson screw is much better. They would have been used in Fords and subsequently become an industry standard but after Robertson's experience in England, he refused to license it to Ford. Oh Canada!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Implication being that archaic (Imperial) units of measurement started with America? Even if they did, it's not something to be proud of.

But I'm pretty sure using a king's foot and thumb as measurement standards pre-date America. The only thing that doesn't compute for "screw-loose" me is that one should hope that the America of 2007 could evolve beyond these nonsensical ways of measuring and weighing the world.

What's so hard about dividing by 10 (metric)? We're now 15-16 pages of discussion on this topic of how difficult it is to divide by 10! Amazing!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 AM

48,893 posts, read 27,541,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
Because this is America son...................... That's why!

gosh.................. next you'll want to change over to the Euro and have us all eating falafle.

no really....................... cause it's so haaaaard that's why
You tell 'em Dennis!

Didn't we already try that sometime in the late 1970's and the metric system never really caught on?

We are also using the metric system in some ways, when you buy certain items, they'll have both metric and standard units of measure on them.

In my opinion, let the Europeans use the metric system, I don't care for it.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Didn't we already try that sometime in the late 1970's and the metric system never really caught on?
Actually it's coming back. This generation will not have the King's foot ruling over this Republic anymore.

Quote:
We are also using the metric system in some ways, when you buy certain items, they'll have both metric and standard units of measure on them.
You just answered your question. The transition was not swift. The dual units were a crutch. A successful conversion would have involved only having metric units on items. The Colonial units should have been removed since conversion is a hard way to learn metric. The easiest way to use metric is to forget the Colonial units and just use the metric instead.

Quote:
In my opinion, let the Europeans use the metric system, I don't care for it.
That kind of attitude would make the U.S. use the Julian Calendar and make anti-popery assertions about the Gregorian calendar. It would also make decimalized currency un-American and Dollars, Shillings, and Pence pro-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology